Tescopoly

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Ok, I guess the debate continues then.
Again, I've already covered this. My point is that Sainsbury will not be ferrying in their own customers, neither will these customers appear out of nowhere. Therefore they must all be shopping in one of the existing supermarkets already
You're absolutely right congratulations BoP. This happened in Carbis Bay and sainsbury's built a shop (controversial build at that) and hardly anyone used the shop. This might have been because it was too expensive. Therefore the shop was sold to Tesco. Now it is a profitable outlet.

If that happens here that could be a disaster. The new supermarket built and hardly anyone to use it. The other supermarkets would still be under pressure.
To clarify my point... Safeway was almost empty. Hardly saw a customer (overly exaggerated for fun)... Now take a look at Morrison's!

Do all these places need to expand simply because people wait their turn to be served?
it's a clue that you should be looking to expand your business yes. But the comparisons you put forward cannot expand and therefore it's an unfair comparison. We are talking out of town expansion and the shops you mentioned are all in town.

Last edited:

treeve

Major Contributor
Not that I 'support' the loss of the helicopter site, nor the massive spread of supermarkets at the loss of green and pleasant lands, but, Sainsbury's or Marks and Spencer are the only ones that would tempt me through their doors. As far as food was concerned, they do their finest, and the quality and choice spoke for itself. Morrison in Harrogate was near to the quality I will add, but Sainsbury Plymouth was amazing, we were thrilled to find M&S opening in Truro, as well as already in Falmouth.

BayOfPlenty

This happened in Carbis Bay and sainsbury's built a shop (controversial build at that) and hardly anyone used the shop. This might have been because it was too expensive...
...If that happens here that could be a disaster
I don't think Sainsbury can be described as a failing enterprise; therefore if the reason you suggest is correct, are they likely to make that mistake again? I can't imagine they've proposed a new store without having done any market research.
Personally, I'd much rather the heliport remained where it is, but then I'm old-fashioned like that.
On reflection, was it Sainsbury in Carbis Bay?

tabtab13

@tabtab13 But that said won't the heliport land be lost forever to a supermarket... concrete car park and all the same things but much bigger in build?

Too true - if this thread had been entitled 'Sainsbury's coming to Town' (or rather Eastern Green), the thoughts I've put down would be pretty much the same.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Hi guy's I'm back after yet another sterling dash to Newquay.

@tabtab13
Too true - if this thread had been entitled 'Sainsbury's coming to Town' (or rather Eastern Green), the thoughts I've put down would be pretty much the same.
So to sum up would you oppose the building of Sainsbury on the heliport?

@BoP
was it Sainsbury in Carbis Bay?
yes I believe it was. Tesco took the store over after Sainsbury's failed. I'm guessing that Sainbury's did do their homework and simply got it wrong.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
@BoP I've just remembered that it was Somerfields not Sainbury's. My apologies for the confusion. non the less the outcome was the same.

tabtab13

There is another debate that should have already been posted. The Penzance and Newlyn regeneration proposals....:)

Yes - I'm pretty sure when I see what sort of things are being proposed, I'll have a few things to say about that! Then again, I may well be pleasantly surprised - always best to be optimistic if you can.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
@tabtab13 looking forward to hearing your opinions on that then :)
It will be posted but the Council sent it to me in PDF format 1.2gb So I have to convert each page to html and Bob's your uncle.

@BoP summing up what would you like to do with the heliport land?

@treeve summing up what would you do with the heliport land also?

treeve

Major Contributor
I see that I am being asked as to the heliport site. It is enshrined in the whole scheme, by virtue of Tesco being affear'd of losing trade to Sainsbury, which is highly likely ( proposals or not) given the difference between the two loggerhead stores. In terms of the approach to Penzance, which already is a hideous industrial sprawl, which offers the immediate message to visitors that Penzance is not a nice place (I have been along that road over years, and note the changes as they have 'progressed'). It is a Nothing Land. The approach by rail has some merit, in that wildlife is 'protected' to the detriment of the view from the carriage. However it is marred by the remains of a bygone age rusting and decaying (with some help from the public). Along the way are some tatty concrete holiday homes, just after the wetlands (real wetlands, not a tokenised attempt at being nice for the Planners and the gullible). The approach fast descends into what appears to be a war zone, with vague climpses of the sea, whilst the passenger is pressed to the glazing because of Nanny State controls over openings. On the road, the driver and passengers are more than conscious of that tatty nature of the buildings along the way. There is absolutely nothing to recommend them to anything other than the force of the bulldozer. That includes the heliport. The road approach is littered and untidy in the extreme. It is nastiness on a whole new scale. The Heliport is a vital part of the network of communication with The Isles of Scilly, that gem of splendid beauty across the waters of Lyonesse. As a part of the plan to desecrate Penzance, the plan is to ruin the heritage harbour area and to create an impossible situation for the alternative - helicopters. Visionless. Over and over I am asked about getting to the IOS, and after consideration, the people do not go, not even by plane (or as it was, biplane). Either BIH should be encouraged solidly to remain, and not to start the same process at St Just, or the site should be given to creating a green area, a haven in the centre of San Lorenzo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Lorenzo_(Vonnegut)

Last edited:

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Thanks for a good debate guys!
Also nice to hear that people have opinions....I'll leave this thread open so that others may join in if they wish. But I personally think we've covered most of the topics.

Top Bottom