Tescopoly

treeve

Major Contributor
Please explain in what way Ponsandane and/or Penzance will prosper. I have yet to see ANYWHERE where the town gains from a supermarket (save perhaps in the minimal taxes).

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Well if the argument has simply come down to
I have yet to see ANYWHERE where the town gains from a supermarket
Then let's see:
Employment Tesco employs 225 people and is about to increase that by 160 more.
The town's economy needs employers like these or 385 more people would be unemployed adding to the councils deficit because less people will be paying local taxes.
Local companies rely on supermarkets like the "FREE" bus services from local housing estates to the supermarket and back. Tesco pay for this and that adds more jobs to the stack
Local Taxi firms who operate free phone services from supermarkets.
Local producers (remember Tesco stocks local produce) This includeds local veg, milk, Mead wins, Cornish Fairings, Rowes Pasties, Cornish Fudge, Cornishman newspapers, Cornishworld newspapers and many, many more locally produced products that rely on the kind of sales that supermarkets generate
Local Council who claim business taxes on the store, also the larger the car park the more tax paid.
Local cardboard collection firms like "Man and Van"
Local police who utilise modern technology like Blue tooth to warn shoppers of crimes and or urgent police appeals like missing persons.
Local charities collect at supermarkets... ones like Round Table, Lions Club, local branches of RSPCA, schools and even Picture Penzance (we do so at supermarkets because we get a bigger return than anywhere else)

Supermarkets are convenient to shop in, safe and secure (often employing security guards)
24 hour shopping for those who work odd hours, not like the old days when after 9pm you couldn't buy petrol (how we take that for vantage now).

Supermarkets have brought the cost of goods down. Now I know you'll argue that this was at the cost of local shops, but I would argue that those shops needed to diversify and adapt to their business environment. An example of this is the state of Penzance today... not dead! no but we have different kinds of businesses instead.

Ponsendane has been underused for well over 30 years. With the occasional circus, summer tenting and market garden shop. To be honest you could count on one hand how often the field had been utilised over the past many years.

The brook has all but been abandoned by the authorities and this was part of the subject we spoke about in 2008. Yet Tesco will have to maintain the land with a regular maintenance schedule.... surely this is better than the situation as it is now?

The wetlands are to be moved but at least maintained as mentioned above. What schedule has Cornwall Council for this.

Supermarkets have been around since the 60's and they are here to stay. The fact is that they will expand because there is a growing demand for them.
A huge amount of locals rely on supermarkets for so many reasons... not just to shop in. But that said, just take a look around this town on any bank holiday and see the queue for bread and milk when the local shops close down for a day off.

So I don't think that we should be discussing what supermarkets do for the town, as that is rather academic since they are already here.

To sum up I'm not disagreeing with anyone about the future of the brook and wetlands and I for one will be keeping an eye on the project to make sure they do as they say they will.... Rather, in this case I don't think Tesco is the villain here. I would rather see a proper schedule maintenance of the area and if that means Tesco well so be it. Not wanting to go off topic here but take a look at Slade Harbour as an example of care and maintenance by the council.... now that's criminal!

fleagle

I am too tired to read all the replies to The Tescopoly. My main concern, which the Tesco representative never gave a 'concrete'! answer to; "Was there going to be safer access crossing the A.30 road?". At the moment one takes their life in their own hands. There is no underpath, no pelican cross, no zebra crossing yet there are cars coming at you from all directions. The larger the supermarket the increase in cars and their drivers who seem to think they are at "Brands Hatch!" yet many people have to walk to and fro Eastern Green because they live there and not to do their shopping

tabtab13

All good points, HH, but assuming Tesco gets the go ahead and Sainsbury's build on the heliport site, we'll have them plus Morrison's all within spitting distance - do we really need that? Whether Ponsendane is used or not on a regular basis, it's a green area - why not leave it as it is? I'm bit behind the times now, but I know Tesco used to not treat their staff that good and morale was very low. The people I know didn't want to work there and neither did their work mates. It was a case of not replacing staff who left, just divide up the work between those who were still there. Better profit that way. People I know often complained the shelves were half empty. Perhaps that has changed now. As for the brook and wetlands maintenance, if the Council are not doing their job, then let's get on their case.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
@tabtab13
assuming Tesco gets the go ahead and Sainsbury's build on the heliport site, we'll have them plus Morrison's all within spitting distance - do we really need that?
Well if the people don't want all these supermarkets then one of them will be squeezed out of business. So what I'm saying is that the proof is in the pudding, if the supermarkets make enough money to trade in the same area, then the answer must be yes.
Mind you Tesco, Morrison's and Sainsbury's all cater for very different sectors so it is possible for them to trade in the same area without too much interference from one another. But then again It wouldn't change me from shopping at Lidle for instance.

As for the treatment of staff at Tesco you'll remember I covered that in 2009. Then the atmosphere was quite bad, but I'm not able to comment on that since Pokerboy left employment there and I would only be able to speculate. Tesco has some of the longest serving staff in the supermarket trade in Penzance, so I guess it's not all that bad there after all.

I agree with you that we should be putting pressure on the council to maintain the wetlands and brook... but I suppose what I'm trying to say is that until Tesco announced its intention to build on the field nobody seemed to care for the brook.... well perhaps that was the wrong phrase to put... I'm sure we all cared for it but what I'm trying to say is how much regular pressure was the council under by the populate to keep the maintenance up... How many letters have been written? How many phone calls made?

What I saw when I first read this thread was an automatic assumption that Tesco was about to destroy this area.... whereas this seems to have been the intention of the council through lack of care and maintenance... so who really is the villain here....
I know we touched on the subject of supermarkets don't have a good track record for development (rather consumption of land and resources).... but I think a cool and collective look at this project can yield benefits greater than what was already there, or not if you know what I mean :)

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
@fleagle, you have a valid point it is far too dangerous to cross at that junction and I think we should invite a representative from Tesco to discuss all of these points with us here on the site.

treeve

Major Contributor
but I suppose what I'm trying to say is that until Tesco announced its intention to build on the field nobody seemed to care for the brook.... well perhaps that was the wrong phrase to put... I'm sure we all cared for it but what I'm trying to say is how much regular pressure was the council under by the populate to keep the maintenance up..

that is a short sighted stance, we may as well say the same of a waste disposal incinerator on Ben Nevis ... the opinion is not voiced because there is no reasonable expectation of it ever being proposed; when the wetlands and brook are in proximity of noisy cars, people and fumes, I doubt any self respecting bird will attempt to feed or nest in the area. They need space. More than any supermarketshopper. It is well known that Nature finds a foothold in many a crevice, but those that do so near railways and docks, have been selective in the realisation of momentary disturbances which can be accepted in their lives. The Price of everything .. and the Value of nothing, comes to mind. Penzance does not need re-generation, it needs the kiss of life. Diversification has had its adverse effects on international manufacturing and trade, why should it be any different in Penzance. What the Town needs is internal financial circulation, not another fiscal vacuum cleaner. This Town was built on local business, local philanthropy, built on personal attention to the finer things in life.

BayOfPlenty

Well, I must say I'm gobsmacked at Tesco's overnight transformation from national profit-making concern to valiant guardian of local ecology!
Facetiousness aside, HH when you say the "wetlands will be moved", I'm forced to ask, "moved from where?" To my knowledge there is currently no 'wetland' as such in that area, there is only the brook itself. That being the case, it would appear they're going to dig a pond. If so, why don't they just say so? I've no objection to a pond being created; I'd rather they didn't go about giving the impression that we can expect a mini Camargue at the eastern end of the town! In fairness, you raise a valid point about the local authorities not falling over themselves to maintain the footpath (which was easily walkable ealier this year) and the brook generally, but that doesn't mean it's automatically a good thing to hand over the stewardship of such areas to profit-driven entities. I'd want to see concrete (no pun intended!) assurances concerning the safeguarding of these aspects of our local environment rather than the usual glib non-committal outpourings along the lines of "we would hope to..." and "it is our aim..."
I remain to be convinced that a town of this size needs this scale of supermarket development.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said
This Town was built on local business
That was then... this is now. You cannot stop the town from progressing. Just take a look at Penzance and you'll see plenty of national businesses and despite local belief they fuel the local economy.
Here's just a few shops more or less next to one another in Penzance:
Dorothy Perkins
Evans
Wetherspoons
Holland and Barrett
Co-op
Specsavers
H.Samuel
O2
D2
Clinton Cards
Poundland
Millets
Shoe Zone
Boots
Super Drug
W H Smith
Pound Stretcher
Wimpy

The town has changed and continues to do so and the supermarket is an integral part of everyday life. Its a fact that local businesses are supplying different goods (or sometimes better quality goods) than the supermarkets supply in order to survive. This is simply business.

Anyway that aside, I don't accept your findings on the piece and quiet front. For many years before Tesco built on the land it was occupied by Finn's Shoe factory who regularly polluted the steam and environment. Not only with chemical spills from the un emptied skips but with noise. The factory never stopped and lorries queued up most of the day and night to take away shoes and deliver raw materials. In those days there were few noise level controls... yet today we have noise level monitoring and the 2006 Green air act (if I remember the name of the act). Also along that stretch was Kernow Caravan with heavy lifting and lorries. Devon transformers. So in all intense and purposes its now quieter in that area than it was ever. The building and construction will be a problem, I grant you that but with the right attitude and investment from the construction company the brook will survive and may well have a better future than it has a past.

@BOP
As far as I know Tesco has not made any written contract with the authorities on the maintenance of the brook... but if they do they are susceptible to public pressure and rest assured that the people in this town will happily campaign to put any wrong write if Tesco fell short of its responsibility. We all know that the council on the other hand might use the old "budget" excuse.

OK there is no dedicated wetland in Ponsendane.... In that case Tesco is adding a pond. Is this bad?
I'm asking members to step back and look at what will happen here. Hand on heart will the area be worse off....
Never mind Tesco... that's a whole new debate that I'm sure we all enjoy chatting about :)

Good debate boys keep it up!

tabtab13

... 'when the wetlands and brook are in proximity of noisy cars, people and fumes, I doubt any self respecting bird will attempt to feed or nest in the area. They need space. More than any supermarketshopper.'

Exactly. This proposal is all about us as a species, how it will benefit us, how great it will be for us. Nature in the way? Concrete it over. Wetlands in the wrong place? We'll move it. As long as we can get in our cars and drive and park somewhere because we can't be bothered to walk or take public transport, that's fine by us. As long as there's somewhere else that sells cheap fizzy cola and dubious, processed food to feed our children, well that's great too. Birds and other wildlife - what do they matter?

If Mankind continues with the 'Well I'm all right, Jack' attitude, it's not going to end well.

(Ah - as you can see, I didn't manage to put what treeve said in the first two lines of my post in a quote).

Last edited:

BayOfPlenty

I think it's safe to say you can scrub Wimpy from that list, HH! Furthermore, which of those concerns you mention has an out-of-town outlet? That's the point here!

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
which of those concerns you mention has an out-of-town outlet? That's the point here!
Not the way I read it. I understood the comment to mean that the town does not benefit from supermarkets... I'm mearly pointing out that local business is very different these days and a huge chunk of business generated within Penzance is through supermarkets and national corporations... The out of town developments started because councils pushed the supermarkets that way. They feared the competition and that could have been because some councillors traded in the town themselves.
But then again we have out of town supermarket style shops like:
B&Q
Curry's
Halfords

@tabtab13
As I mentioned there is a noise level act in place and Tesco will have to abide by it. The area has been industrial up until recently so I don't see how it can be noisier than that... honestly? Besides, where was that kind of compassion when the owner rented the land out for the circus, campers and other activities.

Let's get this into perspective. The brook is not going to be developed. It will benefit from maintenance at no direct cost to the local tax payer. A new wetlands will be build (as BoP pointed out that there really wasn't a proper wetland area anyway).

I agree that the human race is destructive and where we can we should balance nature, but at the same time we cannot deny that the town is getting bigger and the more people who live here the more shops and housing will need to be built.
I'm sitting in my front room right now and this area used to be an orchard (or so I'm told) Now a housing estate. At the time there was hell up and lots of people objected to the building proposal. John Daniel battled to have the area built as he had enough for sight to see the need for the estate. So it is a matter of fact that we do need to build as the population grows.
Supermarkets are just one small piece of this.

Now if you were all talking about the control supermarkets have over pricing and things like that I agree that they have too much power and that an ombudsman scheme should be adopted to get control over this.

But I still cannot see anyone's point here. Are we honestly saying we shouldn't develop any longer. No more shops, houses, supermarkets, schools. Am I right in thinking that supermarkets are so bad that that we should chase them out of town and/or prevent them from expanding?

Come on guys... educate me :)

BayOfPlenty

I do not see Tesco as the purely benign charitable organisation you see to view them as, HH. Any business concern would view maintenance of an unproductive area such as the brook as something to be endured only inasmuch as it does not conflict with their primary reason for existing: profit. Such an entity has no intrinsic monetary value to any business concern (not just Tesco), therefore it'll be looked after only while it is expedient to do so.
As for being "pushed out of town", that doesn't wash with me. Tesco had premises in town for years - I don't recall a vigilante mob with blazing torches chasing them off to the wilds of Eastern Green!

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
@BoP. If you are right and Tesco will abandon the brook and area because it does not bring in any money... and or cost money to maintain then why are the bushes in both Branwell Lane and the surrounds maintained so well? This is their land and responsibility surely if you're right then these too would have been abandoned.
But they haven't!

As for development out of town! You don't remember the council refusing planning permission to develop the old gas works and the plans Tesco drew up then?
Other supermarkets tried to develop in the town but were refused. In 1988 Safeway applied for land from the government and nationally land was sold to the supermarkets with development permission. Part of the land at Eastern Green railway sidings were sold to Safeway to develop for our first supermarket out of town and the local council weren't amused at the national interference.
Tesco was the second supermarket to develop out of town and not the first. and as I said above they tried to do this in town but the council refused point blank...

I still haven't heard one really decent argument why this shouldn't go ahead... and I'm still waiting to hear some points.

All I've heard so far is anti supermarket and anti Tesco... just look at the title of this thread if you don't believe me

I'm still not convinced that Tesco are the baddies here (maybe elsewhere I'm not about to challenge that). Tell me I'm wrong :)

treeve

Major Contributor
The term 'Tescopoly' was found an another thread on another form on another website about an entirely different Tesco outlet; it was complaining about the Monopoly of shopping in that area having destroyed another shopping centre; I felt is also applied to using other people and authorities in their power games, trather like the board game.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
I'm aware of the term and its use, and that was the reason why I questioned it.

List for me why this title is appropriate here locally?
I still can't see anything other than an anti supermarket and particularly anti Tesco campaign going on here.
If we are talking about local monopoly because they have a store in the high street, wasn't this one of the complaints?
Those supermarkets have taken all the trade out of town
Seems that they can't win!
All I'm asking is for someone... anyone tell me a good reason why they shouldn't developed?
I will listen if it really is valid :)

treeve

Major Contributor
My particular gripe is one of a long series of gripes about our dwindling countryside, the free areas upon which to walk, I have extreme difficulty in finding any quiet areas in which to walk anywhere in this Penzance area. It is admitted that unlike other areas that have ben developed, built upon, and after the sudden rush allowed to remain empty, but the heart of the Town is ripped out, and despite the lists, makes little difference to the economy of Penzance itself, short of taking the money into their own coffers.
I am not a 'live in the past hermit' I am saddened at visionless designers and small minded bureaucracy, I am saddened by the application of the bank balance to our lives, from every aspect.
I am saddened by the apparent gullibility of so many with regard to nature, to carbon emissions, to global economies; I abhor the magic word 'diversification' which is supposed to end all ills, but only creates more decay, followed by 'regeneration'. It should never have been allowed to reach a point that regeneration was necessary.

tabtab13

Yes, the population is expanding (locally and globally) but a large part of that, and in particular here, it's the elderly population 'increasing' as people are living longer these days or moving here to enjoy their retirement. Generally speaking, if there's a choice of building or expanding supermarkets, better it was done in town rather than outside - and the Gasworks would have been a good site. Those who do have cars could have parked in Wharfside car park - an existing car park.

I'm saying here that if it was a case of it had to be one OR the other - I'm not saying a new supermarket in town is a great idea. I have seen the Tesco bus go up through town many a time and those on board on the whole are either elderly or mums with their kids in tow. Both groups have little money to spend and I think it's sad they have to make their way over to Eastern Green to make their £'s go further.

Better the Council thought more about these groups and work towards bringing businesses back into town - and it seems in this case Tesco did want to come back to town but the Council scuppered that idea. Any idea what Tesco's proposed plan for the Gasworks site was like?

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
@tabtab13 the plans were written up back in the 80's. In fact Tesco brought the land in preparation. I will get a copy of the plans for reference.

Top Bottom