Tescopoly

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Halfhidden

So are you saying we should concentrate on increasing tourism and then not give the facilities for the extra population to buy basic food and groceries. Surely that's ludicrous. Forgive me for thinking that this is not a good move. Come to Penzance on holiday and bring your own food.
Where have I said that?
I didn't say you did say that... read it again I said "are you saying" not you said!

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
You suggested that Tesco wouldn't look after the brook as it would be an unnecessary expense. I pointed out that Branwell lane was being kept quite well. You then suggested that this was because it was customer facing. So is the brook.
No matter how you look at it there is no reason why the brook wouldn't be maintained better than it has already been.
We can all waste time on quotes but the facts still remain the same.
I'm still not convinced that this isn't an anti supermarket thread just to be in the "we hate supermarkets gang" otherwise somebody would have challenged me about the population increase and come up with a replacement to supermarkets. Nobody has because there is little alternative. :)

tabtab13

Is it impossible to shop at Tesco, Morrisons, the 3 Co-Ops (Oh, and Lidl - which unforgivably, I missed off my list plus Iceland) because there are always long queues there most of the time? I think it's fair to say 'No'. So then add Sainsbury's into the fold - ok, it's not there now but will be (won't it?) before the population significantly increases?

Personally, I'm not anti-supermarkets, if I was , I wouldn't shop in them. All I'm saying is let's tread carefully and think the whole thing through, short term, long term and into the future. Once they are built or expanded, the 'damage' is done. If any of them fail to compete with their competitors, or shoppers chose to vote with their feet and the store closes down, what happens next? If any of them didn't make a good profit, they'd pull out of the area.

I'd go for let's see what happens after Sainsbury's opens before any supermarket, not just Tesco, is given the go ahead to expand their existing floor space.

BayOfPlenty

Utter nonsense, HH. I said that Branwell Lane was kept clear because of access; management-speak such as "customer facing" has nothing to do with it. Regarding a putative 'anti-supermarket' mentality, I've clearly stated that I've no axe to grind with Tesco (or Morrisons or Sainsbury come to that) but I am not in favour of THIS expansion proposal.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
So let me get this right. You both object to the expansion and yet I haven't had a reply to an alternative.
mmm!

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
@Tabtab13
I'd go for let's see what happens after Sainsbury's opens before any supermarket, not just Tesco, is given the go ahead to expand their existing floor space.
I don't want to misquote you (been accused of this too many times) am I write in thinking that you're ok with the development of a whole new supermarket, yet begrudge Tesco a few feet?

tabtab13

Because at the moment there is no need for an alternative! I'm saying the shopping demand is dealt with ok with what is available at present. Any overspill will be dealt with by Sainsbury's.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Because at the moment there is no need for an alternative! I'm saying the shopping demand is dealt with ok with what is available at present. Any overspill will be dealt with by Sainsbury's.
Not if you can't afford to shop at sainsbury's it wont.
I shop at Lidle, Tesco and Morrison's because I look for the bargains. Sainsbury's are traditionally more expensive than these supermarkets.

tabtab13

@ HH - Can't say I'm over impressed with Sainsbury's coming either! What worries me is that I am sure that's why Tesco has decided to go for expansion now - get in first before Sainsbury's opens for business. Perhaps Morrsions has further expansion plans up their sleeves? Further down the line, no doubt Sainsbury's will want to expand too? As I said earlier, I wouldn't want the 3 so big they butt up against each other. If food demand becomes so high it becomes crucial that should happen, well that's something else. I don't want to see the Big 3 fighting over who has the biggest store in the area.

BayOfPlenty

Sainsbury's are traditionally more expensive than these supermarkets
Then surely Sainsbury's will attract a clientele willing to pay more for what they presumably see as extra quality, a clientle which must be currently shopping at existing outlets. As this consumer group will then no longer want / need these outlets, where is the need for expansion?

treeve

Major Contributor
Personally, when we used to 'do the weekly shopping' it was never about trailing through town and country to save a few pence, I mean, life is too short to waste in penny scratching; It never is a guiding factor now. I mean, all the effort, shoe 'leather', strife and aggro over what? Are we still scrapping in the mud flats of the river? I have more stamina and backbone to be that mean with my life. One supermarket or another, who cares, bang it in the trolley and let's get out and breath real air and get away from this.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
@BoP you are right Sainsbury's will attract a different kind of shopper. So therefore Tesco shoppers wont necessarily jump ship, leaving Tesco at a distinct disadvantage.
We've already discussed that the budget supermarkets are under pressure (Lidle, Iceland and Tesco) so allowing this supermarket to build a new store and car park, alter the road, add road signs, dig up the highway to put in sewerage, electricity sub station (or what ever they need more than what's already there) put up illuminated signs is ok... but an extension of a few feet is not. Even after the extension Tesco will still be the smallest out of town supermarket by far!
It still sounds of discrimination to me.

BayOfPlenty

Sainsbury's will attract a different kind of shopper
Where are these people currently shopping?
We've already discussed that the budget supermarkets are under pressure
We shop in Iceland regularly, & I can't see this 'pressure'...as for Lidl, if they were any more laid back in there, they'd be horizontal!

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
We shop in Iceland regularly, & I can't see this 'pressure'...as for Lidl, if they were any more laid back in there, they'd be horizontal!
wow that's a very heavy statement aimed at the working level of Lidle staff... pretty sure Blondesurfguy would disagree with you.

I shop at these places as well and disagree with you on both accounts. If you tell me that Iceland isn't under pressure, then I must assume that you have been lucky enough to not be stuck in a queue unlike almost everyone else who shop's at these stores.

Where are these people currently shopping?
who know's. I haven't conducted a survey so can't really answer that for you. are you suggesting that Sainsbury's won't attract a different kind of shopper BoP?

I'm still waiting for the answer to the question. If we stop supermarkets from developing what then? How will we cope with the expanding population...?
I don't think anyone has that answer :)

tabtab13

@HH - Sorry - are you saying the Tesco extension is a just a few feet? I know you don't literally mean that, but looks to me as though it will be quite a sizeable expansion myself. Their new car park they are proposing is hardly tiny either! A green field (or part of) covered in concrete - that's my main issue with the whole scheme.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
@tabtab13 my apologies for the misrepresentation... I was comparing the extension to the Sainsbury's and in proportion it would only be a small extension.
But that said won't the heliport land be lost forever to a supermarket... concrete car park and all the same things but much bigger in build?

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
To be honest guys I doubt that we'll agree on this one. I think I have raised some valid points and you all have too. I'm wondering if we are now exhausting the subject and need to agree to disagree? what do you all think? or shall we continue the debate?

There is another debate that should have already been posted. The Penzance and Newlyn regeneration proposals....:)

BayOfPlenty

wow that's a very heavy statement aimed at the working level of Lidle staff... pretty sure Blondesurfguy would disagree with you.
I shop at these places as well and disagree with you on both accounts. If you tell me that Iceland isn't under pressure, then I must assume that you have been lucky enough to not be stuck in a queue unlike almost everyone else who shop's at these stores.
I'm making no comment on the "working level" of the staff, I'm simply pointing out (albeit in a lighthearted manner) that when I go to Lidl, more often than not on a Friday, it never seems especially busy to me. With regard to Iceland, of course I've queued in there... just as I've done in Tesco, Morrisons, the Post Office, Wetherspoons, to name but a few. Do all these places need to expand simply because people wait their turn to be served?

who know's. I haven't conducted a survey so can't really answer that for you. are you suggesting that Sainsbury's won't attract a different kind of shopper BoP?
Again, I've already covered this. My point is that Sainsbury will not be ferrying in their own customers, neither will these customers appear out of nowhere. Therefore they must all be shopping in one of the existing supermarkets already; surely they can't be surviving solely on fresh air while they patiently await the new store! Therefore, when this customer base decamps to the new outlet, it will surely ease the 'pressure' elsewhere, will it not?
For what it's worth, I'm not in favour of Sainsbury moving onto the heliport site at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom