Show 'nuff

treeve

Major Contributor
The footlights dim, the orchestra starts the overture, the stage curtain opens, footsteps pad across the boards and the chorus begins ....

Which Stage Musical Shows have you seen?
Can you recommend it?
Was it on Video/DVD?
Was it a Live show?

Are there any that you would REALLY like to see?

Are there any that REALLY should be on in Cornwall/Penwith?

Leaving out Operas and even Operettas
[ie not Tosca or HMS Pinafore]

Which ones do you Hate!!

Which ones do you Love !!

For me THE one is Phantom of the Opera. Gerard Butler and Emmy Rossum. Not only is the film stunning in concept the music is soul lifting and inspired. It sweeps one on an emotional magic carpet.
The film also includes the gorgeous and talented Minnie Driver in the cast.

The story is the eternal one of Love conquers all.

I struggle to like anything like ABBA, Buddy or Mama Mia, much rather just have the music without the paraphernalia.

Little Shop of Horrors and Mary Poppins, as well as Grease are more in my line. Starlight Express gets my vote.

The Producers is just simply hysterical.

But, no, I have not been to any stage productions of musicals; plays and dance, music shows, but not theatrical musicals.

treeve

Major Contributor
West Side Story is my second choice, not only is Leonard Bernstein's music so brilliant, drawing on western and jazz themes, the plot and performance is no less than biting, of course from the pen of Stephen Sondheim. It is Romeo and Juliet all over again, but with knives.
To me this is the definitive Dance Musical, as opposed to the Phantom of the Opera being the (to my mind) definitive Song Musical.

tabtab13

Sorry - but I can't stand musicals! I'm guessing they are a bit like Marmite - you either love 'em or hate 'em. I remember when Sweeney Todd with Johnny Depp was released - members of the audience walked out not realising it was actually a musical (I don't think any adverts on tv showed any singing). I'm afraid I would have probably been one of them.

Oh, and I don't like ballet and as for 'modern dance' .....

Can't say I would go to the Opera either - though I am quite partial to a bit of Wagner on CD. If I did go to one, it would be Götterdämmerung.

treeve

Major Contributor
An honest opinion.

Better than an empty thread.

I have to agree with you on the Sweeney Todd assessment, too many 'smart' productions that are created by the 'clever', but not as total works of art, and not aimed at the theatre-goer at all. Art generally is in that direction now. This has become a world where anyone can do anything and some smart-a*se claims it to be a masterpiece. 'The king's new clothes' all over again. Not wishing to appear foolish, they glorify the work. To be blunt, there is a world of difference between a Qualified Painter and Decorator and a guy who has just bought a cheap brush set and a can of paint and thinks he is a decorator.

[Unfortunately, so many of the same has invaded Operatics (not part of this thread) and I doubt I could now find a professional production in the same vein as that of the original Ring in Beyreuth. That I would pay money to experience, but in modern settings (it saves on stage costs) it has lost the power and mysticism of the Nordic Gods. They are integral with our Jungian responses. ]

Don't apologise for your life. It is yours, make your own choices and be damned to the rest. That has been my belief. We are ALL different. I have never been a crowd follower.
Unless it is MY choice. ::1:

Top Bottom