Looking for pub/guesthouse accommodation

Tropicgal

Janner/ Senior Member
Hubby and I, plus my youngest son and his wife will be visiting the Penzance area in September '10 to attend my niece's wedding in Newlyn. Only visiting for 3 days but would love to stay somewhere with character a pub with accommodation perhaps? Maybe a guesthouse but trying to stay away from hotels. Anyone have any suggestions?

Wedding is in Newlyn, reception in Carbis Bay so anywhere between Newlyn and Carbis Bay really, we will have rental car so no problem getting around. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

treeve

Major Contributor
One point to be made is that if you were to stay in Carbis Bay, that would not affect the choices to be made if drink is on the 'menu', so you can stay put and enjoy yourselves, rather than go without because of the drive back to Newlyn.

symons55

Staff member
If the reception is in one of the Hotels in Carbis Bay, that, as you know is a nice place to stay, especially if they have any rooms available?

Tropicgal

Janner/ Senior Member
Staying at the hotel in Carbis Bay where the reception will be held sounds great in theory and was, in fact, my first thought. Then I visited their website and saw the tariff!! At just under 100 pounds per person per night for bed and breakfast:eek: is more than I have paid for a hotel in London, New York, Amsterdam or several other cities! So it's back to the drawing board and trying to find a reasonably priced B and B or pub accommodation.

treeve

Major Contributor
What is your 'ceiling' per person? Late night taxis are rather pricey, matter of balance, I always found, never have driven, but I have heard it said that it is swings and roundabouts. I know whenever we went to a town, the places that were cheaper were well out of town and we had to pay a lot of travelling expenses. Thinking Caps on ... :)

treeve

Major Contributor
Have you tried the Badger?
Bed and Breakfast Accommodation in Lelant, Hayle St Ives - The Badger Inn Holiday lodgings
I have never found the fare wanting.
-----------------------------
I do not know this establishement
Thurlestone Hotel - Bed and Breakfast near St Ives, Cornwall Online
-----------------------------------
This one I do, as far as a building is concerned, it was one of the hotels for which I produced plans many years ago. [Also Badger when it was Lelant Hotel]
It seems to have a good policy towards pricing.
Porthminster Hotel St Ives Cornwall

Last edited:

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
As a personal recommendation I would recommend Bay Lodge. This is situated in Chy-an-Dour. The B&B is owned and run by Neville Brown (ex manager of the Barn Club). The service is top class and is smack in the middle of you're two venues. Also, there is a car rental business just down the road.
You can contact Bay Lodge here Bed & Breakfast Pezance. Bed & Breakfast Cornwall. Bay Lodge B&B

Oh by the way, I worked on the road for 5 years and practically lived in hotels sometimes paying as much as £300 an night for B&B and this place beats them all!!::1:
Oh yes, if you are interested a seven seater taxi from Carbis Bay at 1am back to Penzance would cost about £30 so if you fill the taxi its £4.30 each and booking in advance will yield discounts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom