This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Picture Penzance is free to join and use. So why not join our community. As a member you can upload images, add comments, participate in our contests and connect with like minded people.
    All the best,
    Halfhidden (founder member)

Membership Is Free
No Adds
Members Only Areas
And lots More!

CLICK HERE

Long Rock accessibility or the lack of it therein

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by ibrowze, Apr 16, 2016.

1. ibrowze

ibrowze Senior Member

I'll just start from recent events around January 14th 2016. [​IMG]
    The above happened and Cornwall Council were alerted. They did nothing to fix the damage and a week later it had deteriorated into this....... [​IMG]
    I contacted Network Rail who flapped about a bit and then didn't follow up [​IMG]
    And here you can see the damaged footpath adjacent to the former Mexico crossing, spot the train [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  2. ibrowze

ibrowze Senior Member

So as if that's not enough blockage in Long Rock let's have a look at the obstacles en route to the above photos [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This carrier is parked up delivering
    [​IMG]

sparky likes this.
  3. sparky

sparky Authoritarian Staff Member Administrator

is the footpath along the beach still closed @ibrowze ?

ibrowze likes this.
  4. ibrowze

ibrowze Senior Member

The path is still closed until Cormac decide otherwise, the notice threatens til August.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  5. sparky

sparky Authoritarian Staff Member Administrator

that will be nearing towards the end of Summer! that's a disgusting amount of time to take to make a decision?

Planet Penwith and ibrowze like this.
  6. ibrowze

ibrowze Senior Member

This is the kind of thing that has been happening since local decision making was hijacked and reinstalled in Truro. I think the best Long Rock can hope for is a speed bump in the village to prevent a nasty accident where Trescoe Rd meets the main road and that's probably not even on the table yet. I wonder if they've updated the info yet. I tried phoning Colin Bayes number below and went straight to an answer machine message recorded by a woman who doesn't seem to have any presence on the Cormac website. Further inaccessibilty.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  7. Halfhidden

Halfhidden Untouchable Staff Member Administrator

Yes I read the footpath was closed, but I assumed the work had been done and it was now open... Clearly not the case then.
    Holiday season is on us... they need to get their finger out

Planet Penwith, sparky and ibrowze like this.
  8. ibrowze

ibrowze Senior Member

9. ibrowze

ibrowze Senior Member

The toilets were bought by a local Long Rock construction engineer who would by now have been converting them into a beach cafe.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  10. Halfhidden

Halfhidden Untouchable Staff Member Administrator

On the topic of pavement parking you'll be pleased to learn that before the year is out parking fines will be issued to vehicles parked on pavements. I think we'll all be happier about that :)

sparky, Planet Penwith and ibrowze like this.
  11. Planet Penwith

Planet Penwith Super User

The same can be said about the new Prom railings that were damaged by the "MASSIVE" storm a few months back. These hugely "strong" & "durable", railings purchased at "great expense", lasted a great deal of time..........(not!).

ibrowze, sparky and Halfhidden like this.
  12. ibrowze

ibrowze Senior Member

just rang the number highlighted in RED a few comments above. It's still going straight to answer machine so I left another message reminding HER that I left a previous message about a fortnight ago. Anyone else tried ringing the same number attributed to Colin Bayes?

13. Planet Penwith

Hi ibrowze, I will ring that number tomorrow and see what happens.......a big fat answering machine I bet! Lol

ibrowze likes this.
  14. Planet Penwith

Well I rang the number provided and guess what? Yep.....answering machine. Thinking maybe this Colin Bayes doesn't exist or has emigrated to Outher Mongolia, or even more outlandish, Devon!

ibrowze likes this.
  15. ibrowze

ibrowze Senior Member

01872-322375 is still going straight to answer machine. Just phoned 01326-563064 and spoke to a man who told me to ring back tomorrow as Colin Bayes wasn't in the office today.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    Halfhidden and Planet Penwith like this.
  16. Planet Penwith

Obviously being given the run-around! I wonder if you'd be allowed to do just that if you didn't pay your Council Tax!

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    Halfhidden and ibrowze like this.
  17. ibrowze

ibrowze Senior Member

Just phoned again and talked to Colin Bayes who told me that Gavin Henderson is the man to speak to on 01872 324891. So I phoned the number only to get an answer machine on which I left a message requesting when I could expect access to the footpath so I could reach the beach without getting my feet wet as currently the only way to the beach in front of the village is from the Long Rock car park and across the stream that enters the sea unless you want to clamber over the big rusty pipe which isn't ideal for families, pushchairs etc. Now Hey Presto Gavin got back to me pronto and I really couldn't understand the bureauspeak language regarding licenses and info and about how Network Rail are the ones who actually put the current band aid on the wall !!!

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    Halfhidden likes this.
  18. Planet Penwith

Ok, so basically they are passing the buck onto Network Rail...ok, phone NR? No wonder this country is hitting the skids & hardly anything gets done with all this bureaucracy! Ridiculous!

Halfhidden likes this.
  19. ibrowze

ibrowze Senior Member

So here's an mp3 of what I managed to record of the conversation. It seriously beggars belief.

Attached Files:

Halfhidden likes this.
  20. Planet Penwith

Gavin doesn't care, you can tell that from the tone of his voice. Not that complicated? Well sorry Gavin, it IS complicated, due to licence this, licence that! Apathy, excuses, passing the buck etc. NOTHING'S been done since Jan of this year...It's in Network Rail's (& Council's) interest to have this repaired.....one word, no sorry two words come to mind 1) ACCIDENT! & 2) LITIGATION! I don't mean someone falling over and injuring themselves, I mean a rail accident! All that train pounding of the ground by there can't do the ground stability any good! You're right, seriously beggars belief!

Halfhidden and ibrowze like this.