I need a drink !!

treeve

Major Contributor
But where?
For obvious reasons, I am not familiar with local 'drinking holes'.
My measure of a good place is somewhere with good lighting, brilliant interiors or class workmanship (original or designed), bevel edge mirrors, wall uplighter, mahogany bars, leather seating that you just sink into, brasswork, etched glass in Victorian or Edwardian style. Soft and warm lights .... I speak not of coffee houses, of which I know of none in the area, nor do I speak of restaurants or specifically hotels. Just inns/pubs or clubs. I have a dislike for places that resound and jump to the sound of an audio system with the latest drivel to emerge from Peter Andre, Black Eyed Peas or some pseudo Brooklyn drop out from death row. I do not like the incessant bleeps from rows of gaming machines with people in their endless desire to 'beat the system'. I am also tired to absolute tedium with television broadcasts of presumptuously named 'music channels' and or football (rugby or soccer) matches with teams of celebrity players who either stub their little toes and cry, or enjoy the reverential public as they parade in the limelight. My measure of a good place is also a place where the people behind the bar know the difference between a sipping brandy and sewing machine oil, and know that ice in brandy is just not done, also a place that stocks any of the Phillips cordials, such as Shrub or Lovage, where they know what vermouth is and how to mix a Manhattan.
To others, it is the type of Ale or Beers, and how it is served, temperature, head, glass .... Others enjoy a bit of noise, razzamatazz, it is all very personal. I have been in some public houses that are little better than a cow shed, with some grotty tables and ancient scarred tables. There have been occasions when none of that mattered, depending upon the quality of the drink served, and the quality of the staff.
So, what I would like you to think about, please, is a list of places.
Name the township area, the place name, the reason why you like it.
I realise that for some it will be its proximity to the car park.
It would be good if Picture Penzance could assemble a list of 'drinking holes' and their qualities (rather than the usual quotes on the web via google search etc, that seem to list places by whether the chips were burned, got a good pint there, or if the barmaid had a nice cleavage). I would like to think that we could offer a definitive and actually useful list of places. We will collate and extend the lists, as far as we can in Penwith including The Isles of Scilly.

bear

OK Treeve
The White Hart Ludgvan. I've been there tonight, but I'm an early doors kind of guy. Plus points .........A welcoming atmosphere, I believe the beer is good ( although I'm a cider drinker myself, and no complaints). No slot machines. Low level background music, most of which is good depending on the bar staff who get the choice. Good food I'm told. Good sized car park. Covered out door smoking area (quite tastful actually) a raised deck type space with a huge umbrella affair above it. Beer garden, dog friendly. Although this is an old pub, recent owners have tried to make it look older by various means. I remember the pub in the 50/60s, and would have liked it to stay the way it was, however it ain't half bad. Minus points .........It's a Punch Taverns pub, so the prices are a bit high for us country types. Having said that, it's not often that you can combine decent beer with decent conversation in most establishments but I feel you can here, if you want to meet people half way.

treeve

Major Contributor
Thank you very much, the first reply out of 14 reads. An honest assessment too. We want to assemble a list for the area, but not written in the manner that other lists are written. Any other places that you have been and enjoyed? We need to remember that we want to be positive and not to attract some of the less desirable elements of the legal profession in attempts to sue us for defamation. This is one reason for starting it in this way.
I used to enjoy cider when out in country walks in Somerset or on Lundy. Most of it now seems to be accompanied by the hazard of arrows piecing the bar right by the glass!! ::6:

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Treeve can I ask if this is an appraisal of how the pub is run or physical characteristics or both?::15:

treeve

Major Contributor
A basic reaction of the average 'punter' would be enough. It would be good to then assemble opinions into a non-personal graph of what a person can expect from an establishment. Just 'your starter for ten' as it were. As you can see, I am rather particular and critical, no good in my assembling a chart with no other input. I would not be able to offer any advice as to Ales or Beers for example as they have a serious effect on my stomach, and I end up being ill and re-decorating the walls. I am fussy about so-called music and visual 'entertainment' so I am unqualified to make any constructive comment on the level of noise and or background. More input from others wanted, please. This is about what anyone gets when they enter the doors of the establishment, drinks, people, bar personnnel, ambience, seating, sense of place, history - modern or traditional, homespun, elaborate, anything any idea of the place. Why it was enjoyed, or not (within reason).

This is about the drinks you get and the way in which they get served, not about peripherals such as food or bar snacks.

Last edited:

bear

Hey Treeve
I just re-read your list of criteria for a good drink. I feel that you or I would be hard pressed to find a pub which would satisfy these conditions. I would suggest that the type of establishment that could get close would be a restaraunt or hotel bar. Possibly The Queens Hotel, or The Bay. I reckon both of those would fix you a decent Manhattan. Plush seats, uplighters, I'm sure they have them, but pubs ? I think you are pushing it a bit around here. Mind you I know there a lot of new/city type bars which have sprung up in Pz, but I have never tried them, as I like a pub to be a pub. Have you tried Truro? they seem to cater for the more discerning drinker (for a price).

treeve

Major Contributor
Ideas Please

The idea is to assemble a list of local watering holes, but I needed to explain why I could not myself do this, because there are so few places here that fit my own wish-list, I have found any number of them when worked in some London areas, Bristol, and the same was true for coffee houses in Vienna, Krakow and Salzburg. I wanted to make the list your list, rather than my list. My father was a storeman for TF Hosking, I have no illusions, believe me, it is just the people I had to work with over the years have created this need in me for quiet gentlemen's clubs. In later years I got to liking the noisier coffee joints of Piccadilly, Shaftsbury and bars in the jazz district of London, around Ronnie Scott's and so on..... Frankly, I cannot really afford the luxury into which I have been conditioned, so am just as content with a bottle of Metaxa 5 star at home. Don't worry about me, I am trying to get together a list of places around here so people can get themslves a decent pint in a decent place ... I have no idea as to what that is, so I am asking, no, begging for members to come up with suggestions and why.

Last edited:

symons55

Staff member
Contrary to what some members think I don't spend much time in pubs these days. ::11: But... I agree The White Hart in Ludgvan does serve a good pint in a country style atmosphere, food is not as good as the last Landlord did. The Engine Inn at Nancledra is also another good watering Hole as is The Gurnards head Hotel. Nearer home The Pirate at Alverton serves a good pint and I'm told Brendon also does good food. The Bath Inn on the promanade has a nice bar area and does a good pint. Out of town I do frequent the Station House a lot and they do real ales, and good views whilst drinking it, day or night. This year I played in the Gig bar in Marazion and this also did a good pint but in the summer it gets too full for my liking. Both pubs in Goldsithney do a good pint. CW or rrrrrrichie can help here, the last time I went into Paul pub last year, they also did a good pint. I think thats enough for now otherwise people will think I'm an alkie.::11:::11:

Last edited:

CHILLYWILLY

Yes ss55, I can help you out here, The Kings Arms at Paul has an excellent landlady. The real ale is Cask Marque and I can verify that the Tribute is excellent. The atmosphere is very warm and relaxing. I can also say at the The Pirate Inn at Alverton, the Doombar ale is first class as is the food. Neither pub has loud music, the conversation is cheerful and convivial. ::1:

Top Bottom