How to make your own Bitz "n" Pieces game

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
icon7.gif
How to create your own music quiz

How to create your very own Bitz “n” Pieces music quiz.
Ok you’ll need some tools and some jingles for this and I’ve listed them below for you to download.
The idea is simple enough; you’ll need to download songs in mp3 format and then load the songs in to the mp3 editor, then add a jingle and then the next piece of mp3 until you’ve done. So without delay here is a step by step of how that can be done:
First of all let’s get the tools together that we need to do this quiz with.
Download Shuangs audio editor here
Download Shuangs audio joiner here
The audio joiner and editor are both freeware!
Download jingle one here by right clicking and choosing save link as (number 1)
Download jingle two here by right clicking and choosing save link as (number 2)
Download jingle three here by right clicking and choosing save link as (number 3)
Download jingle four here by right clicking and choosing save link as (number 4)
Download jingle five here by right clicking and choosing save link as (number 5)
Now you have the tools let’s find a good mp3 music website that allows you to download the songs. Make your way over to Mp3Raid.com - Free Mp3 Downloads, Free Music Downloads.
View attachment 104
In the search bar type the name of the group or artist and the song title you want (note that if you just type the song title you’ll be presented with a choice of songs that have similar titles, so the best thing to do is to find the song title and artist name from Google beforehand and paste it in the search box).
Now Mp3raid is a quirky site but is fun to use. Once you see the song of choice in the list click on it to select it. If this is the first time you’ve used mp3raid that day you will be prompted to fill in the capture box with the corresponding numbers and or letters. Now tick the box agreeing with the terms and conditions and then click the button enable listed and download.
View attachment 105
You shouldn’t need to do this again, not at least on this visit.
Now I mentioned earlier that this site is a little quirky and you may have just witnessed one of its annoying twists. You should be listening to the song of your choice but sometimes the website displays the mp3 player but won’t play it. If after say 10 seconds still nothing then you should return to the list of music and choose another one from your search selection. Don’t be too surprised if you find three or four songs like this in a row… You will find a song that will play eventually.
Hint:
In the selection of songs that the search displayed look beneath the song title and see where the song is hosted. For instance “file location:4shared.com” usually 4shared is a good host and that mp3 will likely play first time round.
View attachment 106When you choose the song to download don't choose an unusual mix, always choose the regular song or nobody will guess on it.
Also this site uses pop under’s so every now and then minimise your browser and closed down those silly adverts that usually use up your resources.
Right, I’m going to assume that you’ve found the song of your choice and the song plays ok. Now move down the page a little and you’ll see two buttons download and add to playlist. Right click the download button and choose “Save as” or if you don’t see save as in the list choose “save link as”.
View attachment 107
A box should pop up and should have a file name already in the box. Over right this with something like song1 (note that I wrote song1 and not song 1 don't put gaps or other characters in the file name). The reason for this is because mp3’s carry information on them and anyone could right click you quiz and read the song titles and win the game. Now make sure that the “save as type” says mp3 format (this should already be highlighted as shown in the clip below) otherwise change it to .mp3. To do this click on the Save as type box (the picture below show where it is an arrow points to it) and change it to all file. Then in the file name type song1.mp3 and choose save (remembering where you saved the file to). For this tutorial I’ve chosen to save the mp3 to the downloads.
View attachment 108
Now do the same so that you have five mp3’s downloaded on to your desktop and ready to go.

Now it’s time to download the Shuangs audio editor. Once you’ve downloaded it right click it and choose run. The program will install on XP, win 2000, Vista and Win7 (there is a version from win98 and ME if needed let me know). Follow the install instructions and then open up the application.
At this point I’m assuming that you’ve installed Shaungs audio editor and you’ve opened it up ready to go.
Click on the folder that say’s open (up the left top) and choose the first song you want to edit.
View attachment 109
The song will load and will be represented by a blue, red and green graph. By default the graph is small so let’s make this baby a bit bigger so that we can choose the part of the song we want to use in the quiz. Keep clicking on the “Zoom in” button until the graph fully populates the editor. If the zoom buttons are shaded out use the menu there’s a zoom scale in there. Also make the window fall size so that you can really see the graph.
View attachment 110

Now down at the bottom of the editor is the play button and to the right is a curly bracket ({). Now I know that there are two play buttons, one green and one yellow, for now we are going to use the yellow play button.
View attachment 111
Play your clip and decide where you would like the beginning of the sample clip to start. For instance if you only want the instrumental piece from your song play the song until you get to the start of the instrumental piece and then pause the song. Then click on the left hand curly bracket. This tells the editor that this is now the beginning of your song.
View attachment 112

Now click play again until you’ve got to the end of the part of the song you wish to use. Click pause and then click on the right curly bracket (}).
Everything either side of the curly brackets will be shaded black indicating that it’s not been selected.
View attachment 113
Hint:
Don’t choose a too long piece of music as it might take a while to load on the site and it might also give too many clues away. Also pieces that are too short probably won’t get guessed. As a rule of the thumb try to keep the clip between 5 and 20 seconds.
Now you’ve chosen part of the song it’s time to crop it, click on the “cut out” button and you should be left with the piece of music you selected from the song and the black bits will vanish. Play the selection to make sure that you are happy with it and if so choose either save or save as.
View attachment 114 Click close.
Now do the same as above to the other four songs.

OK now download the jingles to your download area. They are very small so they shouldn’t take long to download. You’ll need these for all your quizzes so it’s best to keep them in a folder or something for safe keeping.

Now download and install (as I mentioned above) the Shuangs audio joiner.
You’ll like this bit, it’s fun. Now I’m assuming that you’ve installed and opened Shuangs audio joiner. Click on the add button (top left) and add jingle 1.
View attachment 115 View attachment 116 View attachment 117
Now add your first song clip by clicking on the add button just as before. Keep doing this until you’ve used up all of your five song clips. You should have the following:
View attachment 118
Jingle1
song clip 1
jingle2
song clip2
jingle3
song clip3
jingle4
song clip4
jingle5
song clip5

Now click on the Join button View attachment 119
and the box should pop up prompting for an output format. Make sure that the mp3 is selected and choose next.
View attachment 120
Now click next again as there is no need for us to change the bitrate.
View attachment 121
Click on the save icon
View attachment 122
and when the box appears choose where to save the new quiz. Put a name in the file name box and choose save.
View attachment 123
Hint:
When saving mp3’s don’t use special characters like (*^%$£”-~#@) or the mp3 won’t play when uploaded to the server. So just alpha and numeric and no gaps.
View attachment 124 Now click Join View attachment 125

If you've followed the instruction you should see the file being joined.
View attachment 126 and finally you're done! View attachment 127
Don’t forget to write down the artist name and song title to remind you for later.

icon1.gif
How to upload your music quiz

Ok go to the music quiz section and choose post a new thread.
Add a title to your quiz and then add the rules to the quiz in the big box below the title. Guess the singing artist and the song title to win points. One point for each correct answer. Once a question has been answered correctly then no more points will be awarded for that part. There are five parts to this quiz, so you potentially have a chance to win 5 points.

Now click on the paper clip button to upload your mp3
View attachment 96A pop up window will appear!
Click on the add files button (top right) (I’ve already got attachments in my box yours may well be empty)
View attachment 97Now a box will appear

View attachment 98By default this box should let you browse your computer so click on the select files in this box and a new pop up window will appear for you to browse for your mp3 file you made earlier. PLEASE make sure that the file isn’t too big as the upload will only fail. And because of the size of them only one at a time please.

View attachment 99Find the file you want and click open.
You should see the file in the uploader ready to go… also the uploader will tell you the size of the file. Anything over 5.5mb will not upload.

View attachment 100Now hit the upload files button in the middle. Now the upload will take a little while perhaps 3 or 4 minutes because the
server will scan it for viruses before it allows it on the site. So be patient please.

View attachment 101Once the file has been uploaded it should go to the bottom left hand side beneath the word “attachments” If it didn’t go there then find in amongst your attachments and drag it to the left hand corner of the box. If you find that you have more than one file in the bottom left hand corner simply drag the unneeded file back in to the centre of the box leaving just your mp3 on the left hand side bottom.

View attachment 102Now the box will disappear and it will look like nothing has been added to your new game. This is because we are using in-line embedded players and it will become visible only after you have saved the thread you created.
That’s it but before you close down your new quiz please fill in the tag area with Bitz “n” Pieces, music quiz.

View attachment 103Also make sure that you have subscribed to the thread and you’ll get emails when other members guess on the game.

Now go and have a look at your new masterpiece and marvel. If you have a Facebook account, Twitter and so on please click on the respective icon beneath your quiz and post it to your account. This will help get your quiz more exposure and help our site as well.
View attachment 103

I hope this wasn't too confusing?
I'm looking forward to hearing those new Bitz "n" Pieces music quiz games ::1:
pencil.png

Last edited:

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
OK boys and girl's I've just upgraded the how to make and upload your own music quiz to make it a little easier to understand. I've added screen shots to the guide to make it easier for you to use and understand.
You can click on the screen shots to make the images larger if you like.
It may look complex but after you've made your first song you'll see how easy it is really ::1:
Hope you enjoy it?

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
HH is right, the instructions look long and complicated, but believe me they are very easy to follow, and now with the added pictures it is very easy to follow, and once you have done it once, it will be easier the 2nd time around.!!
its great fun to do, go on do have a go..::15:

Top Bottom