This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Picture Penzance is free to join and use. So why not join our community. As a member you can upload images, add comments, participate in our contests and connect with like minded people.
    All the best,
    Halfhidden (founder member)

Membership Is Free
No Adds
Members Only Areas
And lots More!

CLICK HERE

Do you remember

Discussion in 'General detective' started by Halfhidden, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Halfhidden

Halfhidden Untouchable Staff Member Administrator

I've just learned that there was a Post Office in Causewayhead... Can anyone tell me more?

2. treeve

treeve Major Contributor

I thought that I had covered every part of the history of the Post Office outlets in Penzance, when was this one, in Causewayhead? I take it that it was a sub post office.

3. sparky

sparky Authoritarian Staff Member Administrator

I had no idea there was a post office in causewayhead how facinating, not sure if was a sub post office? (way before my time!)::1:

4. Halfhidden

Well I'm only asking because I read it on a sign on this picture.
    http://picturepenzance.co.uk/photos/showimage.php?i=32003&c=37

On second glance it looks as if the shop in the picture (corner of High Street) is pertaining to be the post office as there is a post box on the side... But I'm puzzled if that is the case as to why call it Causewayhead Post Office when it is in High Street.

5. treeve

treeve Major Contributor

Curiouser and Curiouser, said Alice. I note also that it also includes "Lipton's" above the posting box.

6. Halfhidden

Yes I saw that and wondered if it was an advert for Lipton's Tea? I can't work out the name of the shop either, and I presume that this was taken about the 1930's but that really is a wild guess.

7. treeve

treeve Major Contributor

I remember a "directory" of later years produced by a Mr Pengelly(?), I have a vaguish idea that it was uploaded by yourself a while back. I cannot find anything at the moment in the flat. I will eventually be able to function, but I do know that I have many originals in the "spare room".

8. Halfhidden

Just found this reference at West Penwith Resources
    Kelly's 1893

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  9. treeve

treeve Major Contributor

Proper Job, my 'ansom !!!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011