This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Picture Penzance is free to join and use. So why not join our community. As a member you can upload images, add comments, participate in our contests and connect with like minded people.
    All the best,
    Halfhidden (founder member)

Membership Is Free
No Adds
Members Only Areas
And lots More!

CLICK HERE

can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sparky, Feb 26, 2012.

1. sparky

sparky Authoritarian Staff Member Administrator

I was approached by someone last night who was enquiring about the Co-Op in (Market Jew Street) used to be lo- cost years ago, anyways you may be aware that there is another level/floor up above and it used to have Rainy Days gallery which was there for many years, the person wanted to know was this ever used as an insurance company? if so what was the name of the said insurance company? thank you in advance will pass on any relevent info x

2. Cherrycandy

Cherrycandy Member

Hi, wasn't it a bookies for many years? A Tote or maybe William Hill?

3. dingdongd

dingdongd Senior Member

There was Pearl Assurance over the shops where Weatherspoons is now.

4. Tropicgal

Tropicgal Janner/ Senior Member

I don't know about an insurance company but I do remember there being a cafe on the second level. This was back in the mid 60's. I recall going there with friends after a particularly harrowing drive to Sennen in snow in a really beat up old banger of a car!!! Funny the things you remember!

5. dingdongd

dingdongd Senior Member

I think that was Bailey's Cafe.

6. Tropicgal

Tropicgal Janner/ Senior Member

Can't remember the name but I remember the very steeps stairs up to it!

7. dingdongd

dingdongd Senior Member

Have an idea that it was over ' Pearks'

8. david

david

It was Baileys Restaurant in the 1960s,my wife worked as a waitress there till 1964.The cafe over Pearks was the Carlton Cafe,I remember going in there a few times as a teenager.