UnPC PCs

treeve

Major Contributor
I have hinted at the other troubles underlying the fracas with Orange.
Broadband since solved, but there is the other issue of Vista.
As you know, the Orange and all that was set up on the Hewlett Packard Compaq Presario; the idea was to have two PCs - one to use for work the other to use on the internet, thereby ensuring one PC free of any contact with external influences. However, I discovered at a later date that being installed with the Vista O/S it no longer supported Outlook Express. It was vital to me to have OE as I have stored folders of emails from 1996, some of which I read on a weekly basis, as they include research material and photographs of family research and ship histories. They are all on files suffixed pbx, I have them on external drives as well for security. However they need to be read, and the 'new improved' version does not; it uses pst files (source 'pst, wanna buy a loadarubbish?'). So, I ended up using the PC and the laptop for OE - as that was installed with XP, the last O/S with a nod towards sanity. I continued in all bliss working on the Packard Bell, the machine I had been using for two years, cleaning and clearing it of anything connected with the net, and writing documents, html fo rthe websites, images, etc. ... until it just faded on me; XP and all .... and a lot of recent work (a fortnight's files are a lot). The rest are on external drives. Having discovered that the DVD write responded to the occasional prod, I reasoned it was not a power supply problem; poking around, the motherboard was dead. I gingerly extracted the hard drive, to discover it was actually ok, and it is in a USB box and can now be used in isolation, and read (and written to if necessary). That left me with one PC - the Vista ridden Presario. I needed XP - so I had to buy a reconditioned jobby, which I found, an hp pavilion t370.uk. So I started to pare down the Vista machine, copying everything that had accumulated since the burn out.
The point being that I had been presented EVERY day with failures from Vista, mostly in the middle of some session online or on Word or on other programmes, and they were mostly of a part of Windows that had stopped working, so it was like watching the screen staccato fashion, suddenly going blank with a pathetic apology from Windows afterwards. I can tell you there were some choice words sent in their new error reporting software sent back to MS Windows. I tried all ways to get the O/S sorted, the updates grew day by day - all security bound, which rather raises questions about the saftey online, what?
I checked on the stability report on Windows own files; It was disgusting, not a day went by without a serious failure and then some hanging closures - the worst. I tried to even set windows into Dive D, I then in a last attempt tried to reformat to at least recover the drive and its 200G for use as a storage media. Even from DOS it refused. So the waste of money is out on the landing with the other burnt out PC. All the work spent on re-building the drive and patching in software to do the job that Vista cannot do (a full text search of all files, a proper catalogue of the files on the drive, etc), as well as all the installation of other software, etc, was wasted and i will have to do all over again; I know my files are secure on drives (in duplicate, and in some cases in triplicate) but it still has to take a long time to recatalogue and copy them again on to another drive, on the pavilion.
But, I have made the start ... first get rid of IE8 and its clear financial partnerships. I set up visuals as I like them, set up Classic Windows frames and directories, an 'improvement' that uses so much space on screen to look garish is not an improvement. Somewhere between pretty and ugly ... pretty ugly. At least now I have a pleasing set up that works .... next the external drives - all five of them. Let alone the research work on the shelves to be picked up again. Never a dull day. ::6:

treeve

Major Contributor
First batch of files copied, and the most important programme ...
Word for general text and for documents, as well as html for the web pages. I also discover that all my spreadsheets and databases transfer into Open Office, which is such a relief.
-
Oh by the way something rather vital ... Vista decided that it wanted to ignore the Exif software to manage inloads from the Fuji camera, it meant a rather raw approach to inlaoding from camera to hard drive and masses of renaming and sorting of files. Ouch,

Hm, I see, summat to do with an update across the board, now the same is happening in XP, it appears to be one of Windows Services - WIA. Trouble is it acquires the Image, but renaming and sorting has to be done afterwards. Now have to find another driver, having turned off WIA.

Last edited:

symons55

Staff member
And we thought PC's were supposed to make life easy.....I suppose the only thing one can say is that when running right the're brill, when not the're the biggest pain going, especially the amount of time spent in re loading programs, and then, sorting out what has and has not been lost and then rectifying that.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
An awful lot of programs that were designed to run on Windows xp can run on Vista but often cause problems with the O/S. Classic examples of this is the "Polo of death" this being the blue polo just sits there going round and round. Another example is when the screen turns whitewash, like washout.
The answer is to look in the event log and see what caused the problem and rectify that.
9 Times out of 10 this is caused by incompatibilities with the programs running on the operating system. Vista and XP are two very different animals. So unless the program installed was made specifically for Vista it should be run in "compatibility mode" instead.
This can be achieved by right clicking the short cut to the program and choosing "properties" then from the list choose "run as administrator" and also "run this program in compatibility mode for" and choose the operating system that best suits your needs. Apply and then ok.
Vista handles these programs in much the same way as the operating system that you chose.
The reason why compatibility mode was introduced (it was introduced back in Windows 98 days) was because operating systems handle protected mode memory differently from one another. You'll remember the terrible way in which Windows 95 and 98 handled memory. As soon as a program used memory outside of it's allocation then wham! the system would completely crash.
Today often you'll get a few seconds of lifelessness if a program plays up. But at least all the rest of the system stays up.
So, just like then the problems still exist.....
Oh yes this is also true for drivers. If an XP system is updated to Vista the those drivers will all need to be either replaced or run in compatibility mode or the system will be unstable.

treeve

Major Contributor
Omg

Victor here..... I don't believe it .....
Not been on until 3pm, and lo and behold, the pavilion has collapsed, it just will not switch on .... groan ...
Looks like a visit to Penzance Computers is on the schedule tomorrow, it is one of their reconditioned jobbies.
Why can't I have something that works???
Swining off, treeve, on laptop ...

treeve

Major Contributor
Fuji

To add to that mystery, I have just installed the NEW FujiFinePix software for XP and the whole clan, and WIA sticks it oar in and although the software loads up, it will not respond to the camera, that is on my XP laptop. Camera? What camera? I have used Fuji on these PCs/laptop for three years ... all of a sudden after an update, they do not work. There is no gravity ... the Earth Sucks.

treeve

Major Contributor
97% Solution

Turn off WIA and the computer has no inkling that a digital camera has made contact, not Fuji software, now Windows Explorer. I want to rename the pictures as they transfer, that is all, surely that is simple? After a lot of tinkering around, and searching I discover ... the answer lies in the soil ... well I am not burying them ... Wndows Live Photogallery is highly recommended by hp. Well, I tried it and such a heap of intrusive and banale garbage I have never seen ... not true, take Orange and Vista, PLEASE!! so after the due process, it has been removed from the system, as it does not do what I wanted, more concerned with pictures of Aunty Betty and her white socks to go on the line. A further search and there on the horizon was Nikon Transfer (mybe better than the Manhattan variety).
Downloaded and installed, tried and tested, and it does exactly as it says on the can. Exactly as I wanted it to do. Camera recognition and renaming all transferred perzackly where I wanted.
One solved.
---------------
Anyone else have a head to head with their computer or software? Please tell me it is not just me ....

Last edited:
Top Bottom