That's Novel !!

treeve

Major Contributor
Christmas Books

Something that is missing from the present day market place is the Compendium ... oh yes, the name exists, but not as we knew it, Jim. Then there is the Annual, which now, to me looks not that much larger than the comic on which it is founded. I am going to take a walk down memory lane. BBC Children's Hour Annual .. in 1951 over 40 stories and articles to expand the mind, 184 pages of tightly printed text, photographs and ink and colour drawings. The oldest book from my childhood is 'Panda in Wonderland' 1944, great book, full format 10 x 8, Panda visits Wonderland
on his magic bicycle .... beat that. Then there are the others from 1947 - 1949, Children's Own Treasure Book, Wonder Book of Comics and Modern
Gift Book for Children. Each with 320 pages including Enid Blyton, Rudyard Kipling, Robert Louis Stevenson, Thomas Hardy, just glancing through the pages, the drama and adventure pours out. I have no idea what the average 7/9 year old reads now, but I could not get enough. Later it was the 160 page Lion Annual started for me in 1954, continued in that giant of a comic The Eagle of 1955. I simply do not see anything that remotely comes anywhere near these books.
Suitable title '2010: The Age of Dearth'.
I am glad that I was born then and not now.
What I see is pathetic in comparison.

Top Bottom