Long Rock accessibility or the lack of it therein

ibrowze

I'll just start from recent events around January 14th 2016.
BEACH1.jpg

The above happened and Cornwall Council were alerted. They did nothing to fix the damage and a week later it had deteriorated into this.......
BEACH2.jpg

I contacted Network Rail who flapped about a bit and then didn't follow up
BEACH3.jpg

And here you can see the damaged footpath adjacent to the former Mexico crossing, spot the train
BEACH4.jpg

Last edited:

ibrowze

So as if that's not enough blockage in Long Rock let's have a look at the obstacles en route to the above photos
XROADS3.jpg

XROADS2.jpg

This carrier is parked up delivering
XROADS1.jpg

ibrowze

This is the kind of thing that has been happening since local decision making was hijacked and reinstalled in Truro. I think the best Long Rock can hope for is a speed bump in the village to prevent a nasty accident where Trescoe Rd meets the main road and that's probably not even on the table yet. I wonder if they've updated the info yet. I tried phoning Colin Bayes number below and went straight to an answer machine message recorded by a woman who doesn't seem to have any presence on the Cormac website. Further inaccessibilty.
CCBEACH.jpg

Last edited:

ibrowze

The toilets were bought by a local Long Rock construction engineer who would by now have been converting them into a beach cafe.

Last edited:

ibrowze

just rang the number highlighted in RED a few comments above. It's still going straight to answer machine so I left another message reminding HER that I left a previous message about a fortnight ago. Anyone else tried ringing the same number attributed to Colin Bayes?

Planet Penwith

Super User
Well I rang the number provided and guess what? Yep.....answering machine. Thinking maybe this Colin Bayes doesn't exist or has emigrated to Outher Mongolia, or even more outlandish, Devon!

ibrowze

01872-322375 is still going straight to answer machine. Just phoned 01326-563064 and spoke to a man who told me to ring back tomorrow as Colin Bayes wasn't in the office today.

Last edited:

ibrowze

Just phoned again and talked to Colin Bayes who told me that Gavin Henderson is the man to speak to on 01872 324891. So I phoned the number only to get an answer machine on which I left a message requesting when I could expect access to the footpath so I could reach the beach without getting my feet wet as currently the only way to the beach in front of the village is from the Long Rock car park and across the stream that enters the sea unless you want to clamber over the big rusty pipe which isn't ideal for families, pushchairs etc. Now Hey Presto Gavin got back to me pronto and I really couldn't understand the bureauspeak language regarding licenses and info and about how Network Rail are the ones who actually put the current band aid on the wall !!!

Last edited:

Planet Penwith

Super User
Ok, so basically they are passing the buck onto Network Rail...ok, phone NR? No wonder this country is hitting the skids & hardly anything gets done with all this bureaucracy! Ridiculous!

Planet Penwith

Super User
Gavin doesn't care, you can tell that from the tone of his voice. Not that complicated? Well sorry Gavin, it IS complicated, due to licence this, licence that! Apathy, excuses, passing the buck etc. NOTHING'S been done since Jan of this year...It's in Network Rail's (& Council's) interest to have this repaired.....one word, no sorry two words come to mind 1) ACCIDENT! & 2) LITIGATION! I don't mean someone falling over and injuring themselves, I mean a rail accident! All that train pounding of the ground by there can't do the ground stability any good! You're right, seriously beggars belief!

Top Bottom