Can you survive without your car?

Can you survive without your car?

• Total voters

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
@jpetrie Thanks for the reply. I have to say that I am mostly enjoying the experiment and we are now coming to the best time of year to walk.
As TPP said in the thread above petrol is now out of control and probably amounts to the single highest household bill.
I would like to see a better relationship between road users and pedestrians. It's not as bad here in the UK as it is elsewhere in Europe, but crossing the road and using zebras are becoming dangerous. I've noticed that (particularly in Penzance) the roads junctions and traffic flow plans in place take little or no drawing from the foot user. Take a look at "Death crossing" at the top of Causewayhead. The junction was altered to ease traffic flow but then made it one of the most deadliest crossing s in town. The pedestrian now has to watch six traffic routes whilst crossing since the change was made. The routes were there before, but because the junction ended at the top of Clarence Street all traffic had to stop and obey the junction... not now... they speed down there quite fast..... It would be good to get pedestrians to understand traffice and traffic to understand pedestrians ::1:

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
I have a confession to make.
With Sparky's latest mystery illness that renders her immobile and often in a collapsed state and her mothers sudden illness that has caused similar problems it has suddenly become an impossibility to be without a car.
I'm finding it hard to get down to the mother in law and back in time to treat Sparky. Neither are able to walk on their own right now and collecting and distributing medication is a trial on it's own.
So my experiment has come to an end for now.
I travelled to Wales yesterday to buy a car and drove it back to Cornwall.

I think the experiment showed up some interesting things and certainly I thinks I'm a better person for trying it in the first place.... who knows, perhaps when things change.. I'll do it again.::1:

treeve

Major Contributor
How is the pretty headbanger? Don't forget, anything I can do ... let me know.
As to cars, this is a special circumstance that you are all in. You are lucky that you are able to drive and do something.
Best of Luck with it all.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Thanks guys... it's been a funny 2010.... but I'm confident it will be ok.
I have discovered an instant cure to the wifes and mother in laws problems..... Divorce::11:::11:
Perhaps not!

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
@HH thats not fair...you know I can't open it for you!!

no seriously now....I have really enjoyed this experiment without the car...and was very much looking forward to walking in the summer sun...(when it shines!) and hopefully I will, but not at this moment in time, I think from a personal view, that the car is a neccessity, rather than wanting to have a car, as my needs now have to have one, (and my mums) Although I won't be able to drive it for a while, and I physically cannot drive at the moment, what I'm trying to say is, that if it wasn't for what was happening in my life at the moment then I would of quite happily continued without the car.

symons55

Staff member
I echo what everyone has said, and if there is anything I can do to help just say , well, within reason. ::11: ::15:

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
@symons55 thank you very much....and everyone else who has offered help its much appreciated, hopefully I'll be back up and on my feet in time for the next meeting....fingers crossed.

treeve

Major Contributor
An Alternative Solution

Rodway-Barnes took pity on us carless people and suggested this alternative to the vehicle or a trolley.
pp_rb_Dog_Basket.jpg

Top Bottom