Can you survive without Walking?

treeve

Major Contributor
And, this is also aimed at those less able than most, to tell everyone how it is with yourselves, with a condition that prevents or encourages you to get out, or how it is if you are unable to get out.....

I have never had a vehicle, quite used to getting on a public transport facility and heading off to some cliffside walk, or through seaside towns, climbing mountains; we took the children everywhere with us. Valleys, mountain passes and mountain ridges, we got there. We also had the advantage of there being a bus on the other side of the mountain, and we did not have the limitation of only going halfway to have to return to the carpark and collect the car.
Humans were made to adapt, a sturdy hardy lot (that's another fine mess you got me into).

In Penwith, there are still a few walks, despite having been chopped to pieces by roads, bypasses and estates. There are the Moors and the Cliffs,
so tell us what are your favourites, any opinions or suggestions?
Are there any birds or flowers to watch out for? Perhaps that wild pansy that got upset at you? The man eating lettuce?

Nobody replied ???

I gave up driving in '78 after my car was broken into just too many times and I was working 2 minutes from my house - the next 20 years I walked as far as the pub then I gave up going to the pub.
I'd suffered with severe back pain from '72 to the early 2000's when I tore my sciatic nerve which resulted in much less pain but a dropped right foot.
I bought a camera - I'd had a Pentax Spotmatic with f1.2 lens in the late 60's - and went out to record life at St Ives harbour before it was too late - it was too late...
I used to go to Newlyn harbour in the 50's before the piers were extended - when I moved to St Ives I was enthralled by the fishing boats unloading huge conger & ling from long lining trips, cray & lobster, mackerel by the ton.
When I got to the harbour and inquired about the long liners & crabbers......noooo.....all gone...

So I started walking.

First attempts were pathetic as I wasn't very fit and if it rained I had to shelter under a tree as I didn't have any waterproof clothing - I managed St Ives to the Steeple.

Now I have Paramo and Montane mountaineering gear and am fearless cold#2 - I work 6 days a week from March to October so don't get that much opportunity to get out.

My favourite walks though are...

Lamorna to Penzance - last time I did it the stream had been diverted on to the path close to Lamorna - I usually do this one in winter and take a stove to have a hot meal just before Mousehole.
Lands End to Porthcurno - pause at Nangizel to see if the Choughs are around or the Ravens are playing and just to admire the view, the granite pillars - fabulous.
On to Gwennap & Porthgwarra (where my Gran lived) and the Porthcurno - special place for me as I spent hours down there in the 50's fishing from the rocks - used to catch squid.

Morvah to Pendeen - I get to open top bus from St Ives and walk down to Portheras cove - admire the seals and on to the Lighthouse pausing at the benches to watch for Manx Shearwaters (I also took up birdwatching).

Pendeen to Botallack - packed with interest - Geevor Mine and the copper coated cliffs, the Mine itself is a good day out but I'm more interested in the old Calciner, Stamps & Buddles ( I got interested in old mining).
On through Levant Mine where Fred Dibnah made a program - Chough territory again - arrive at Botallack to the greatest mining view ever the Crown Mines down at sea level.

Up at the top is equally interesting as the old workings (Calciner & Buddles) have been well preserved - apart from WWII bomb damage.

Botallack to Sennen - this nearly killed me - basking sharks in large numbers offshore - many old Mines - pungent Gorse - dramatic granite cliffs.
The old silver mine 100ft up a cliff with no obvious means of entry, Cape Cornwall and my favourite stretch - Porth Nanven which is always Cot Valley to me - used to visit my school friend Tony there and play in the spoil heaps, look at the remains of a German Submarine at the beach.
The next leg on to Sennen was the killer - it's rugged - I had to get to Sennen to catch the bus home but had not realised that the last leg is over the beach which was torture.

Sennen to Lands End - only a 20 minute hike but I do this in late May/early June to see sharks - 2 years ago Sennen Cove was so filled with them you could have crossed the bay walking on them.
Last year was quieter but quite a few Killer Whales (Orca) came through.

In the other direction I've walked Penzance to Marazion regularly to birdwatch at the Marshes - in the 50's those pipes on the beach pumped out raw sewage.

Marazion to Praa Sands - always lots of Goldfinches.

Praa Sands to Porthleven through Rinsey - Mines again and a single Chough this side of Porthleven - Porthleven was one of those saturday treat trips as a kid for an ice-cream.
Porthleven to Helston especially if there's a hooly blowing - great birding that way at Loe Pool and through the woods to Helston sewage works and the boating pool.
Helston was important (as a kid) for Culdrose Air Day - then the flew fixed wing.

I could go on for hours - the Lizard is next - Mullion cove, Church cove, Kynance cove, the Lizaid itself (Choughs again), Houzel bay...Helford.

I get up to Wadebridge/Bodmin often and walk the Camel trail to Padstow - another great birdwatching spot - they have Spoonbills resident up there - in summer there are great sea cruises out of Padstow.

TBC

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
A fascinating account of our glorious Cornish countryside. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us... Please do post more about your walks.::15:

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
@ chriso Oh nearly forgot to mention. You may wont to contact BayofPlenty who also has a passion for the Cornish mine. I believe that his uncle wrote a book on Botallack... no wait a min it was Levant tin mine. I believe it was written by Jack Penhale.

Top Bottom