Air Ambulance attacked

tabtab13

We are a brutal species. Most of us keep that in check most of the time and the more enlightened of us will use words and positive, helpful actions to rectify social problems. Sadly, there are some who just will not respond to that approach and see that as a sign of weakness. These people need to be spoken to in the language of brutality. Teenage chimps who step out of line are put in their place within their social group by physical punishment. The young gorilla can be put in its place just by a look from the Silverback - or face the consequences. Both groups of apes understand that for the harmony of the group to work, a level of respect and order has to be in operation. We are not that much different from these animals - we share so many basic instincts. I believe that if our social problems cannot be dealt with by talk and reasoning, physical punishment is the answer Brutal? Well perhaps - but that's who we are.

46traveller

Good job primates don't drink....

Unfortunately alcohol is to blame for a great deal of the street violence in every town. So the government in their infinite wisdom extend the drinking hours in the hope that the violence won't all happen at the same time. They expect the local police will be more able to cope with the situation if Pubs and clubs close at different times. Basically that means that by longer drinking hours the same amount of violence will occur, but at least the police will have a better chance of arresting more offenders. A ridiculous change to the licensing laws which doesn't stop the fights and violence, just moves it back or forth a few hours over the night.
Teenagers have always bought bottles of alcohol, in my youth it was Cider, it tasted terrible and made everyone feel ill, but you somehow felt more "Grown Up". Nowadays they have potent Alcopops of a much stronger brew and actually taste nice, now we've got the female of the species getting drunk, and if not goading the boys on, will fight themselves. Supermarkets are open all night, a never ending source of cheap beer and spirits. The government make millions each year from tax imposed on alcohol, so they're in no hurry for things to change. The licensing trade has already taken a big loss in custom with the smoking ban in premises, now they have to compete with the supermarkets for sales. So they have two for one nights etc. hoping to win some trade back for a couple of nights a week. It just keeps piling up, the Landlord is paying ridiculous money to rent the premises, and he/she has to pay bills and keep a family the same as everyone. There is no single law needed to change this merry go round of violent disorder. They need to take a fresh look at the whole licensing system from the ground up. And to be honest that's not happening anytime soon. So where does that leave us, running or fighting ?? Me huh, I'm too old to run..........

Edit, I in no way condone the use of cannabis, unless it is taken as pain relief for M.S. or other such illness. If you want to take it that's your personal decision, and as long as you hurt no one by doing this, why should I worry about you?

I must add that I saw an article in the Cornishman where about five or six Police Officers plus sniffer dog entered a licensed premises in Penzance and found one 50 year old man to be in posession of a small quantity of cannabis. Was this man a troublemaker, no. Was he being violent in any way, no. Did the landlord suspect he was dealing, no. Now he was breaking the law, but as no smoking is allowed on licensed premises, he wasn't really offending anybody, and I doubt anyone else knew he even smoked it. This operation must have cost quite a few pounds, and for what, a caution ? Considering up till a few years ago we could walk into a pharmacy and buy a bottle of Laudanam for our aches and pains, and we actually went to war with China over the Opium trade. I think having a bit of pot in your pocket for personal use and being classed as a criminal, just a tad over the top.

Last edited:

tabtab13

Too right, 46 traveller. The big supermarkets (along with banks) seem to be a law to themselves. When I went to Canada a few years back, I noticed that you couldn't buy booze in a supermarket, you had to go to the equivalent of an off licence.

Drinking or smoking cannabis should be an adult past time - by that time you should be aware of the risks of both and make your own informed decision if that's what you want to do. Personally, I don't see a problem with either in moderation. Blind drunk or stoned out of your head all the time is another matter.

Teenage drinking and drug taking should be punished hard. If there's not a way to punish the teenager, punish the parent. Ideally punish both. Get the whole family out doing some sort of community service. Teenagers may come under peer pressure, but if their parents have not raised them to know right from wrong, they must be made accountable for their children's actions. In my mind, if you're a parent, then that is part of your parental duty.

In some cases, it's easy to blame a teenager on his or her behaviour, but then when you find out what sort of upbringing they've had, it can be shocking and gives a clearer picture on why the teenager behaves the way he or she does. Go to the source of the problem, not the result of it.

46traveller

Some places in Canada have small outlets where people (refered by their Doctor) can collect their marijuana medicine, instead of the usual pills and potions prescribed as per normal. I was slightly sceptical about this at first, but since seeing a documentary on it have changed my opinion entirely. Some of the patients were terminal, a lot had MS or other chronic disease and they all stated most firmly that the marijuana was a lot better than the usuals pills as it had no side effects detrimental to their state of mind or body. These people were not the usual folk we see on tv in this country rolled out for the likes of Jeremy Kyle etc. we've all seen them, unemployed idiots looking to get wrecked on anything that's cheap. These folk were ill, and genuine in their responses to the questions asked. Every last one stated that they actually feel a lot better taking a natural product that had no chronic side effects, compared to the sometimes ten or twelve pills daily previously prescribed by their doctor. A lot of these people did not smoke, they used it in cooking or making biscuits and cakes. To see these very ill people smiling convinced me that it does work, and we should be doing more of this medication in the UK. This of course will never happen as the drug companies and their shareholders would be the first to lobby the government for a ban. After all it would ruin their business of Patenting and Trade Marking everything they come up with, so's to be sure of obscene profits year on year at the expense of the general public. Once again it's profit above everything. Shame on them.................

Now Alcohol.
How about if the government raised the age limit for buying ANY alcohol outside of licensed premises to twenty one? This would sort out a few of the problems regarding teen drinking and the various problems related to that. Proof of age would by the new law have to be shown including a picture of the customer. Most people by the time they reach that age have a driving license or passport, both contain a picture, if not they could apply for a permit at their local Post Office, much the same as buying your car tax. How simple would that be?? Anyone found purchasing alcohol for underage drinkers could be fined quite heavily to make sure they did not re-offend, and if this was made a fixed penalty, there would be no need for the courts to be involved any more than necessary, thereby saving a few extra quid with the proceeds of this fine fund going back into law enforcement on the street or rehab organizations. Just seems there are a lot of avenues regarding alcohol consumption by underage people that haven't been put forward or even considered yet.
Any and all suggestions welcomed..............

Last edited:

welb1931

I think a reasonable cure for these thugs would be
to bring back the birch..a few well administered
lashes would certainly make them sit up and take
notice and for a second offence double what they
received on the first one....and so on.

BayOfPlenty

Beat some sense into 'em, eh? When we had flogging, birching & hanging, no crimes happened. Sarcasm aside, I was caned at school in the 70s, and the only effect it had was to make me resentful. Now grown up with children of my own I look back and think "God help the grown person who takes a piece of wood to a child of mine". That said, I believe in discipline; I believe it should happen at home. Having worked in an educational environment, I've seen first hand the lack of good old-fashioned manners ("civility costs nothing", as my father often said). I don't, however, believe that it should be beaten into infants - setting a good example isn't such a bad place to begin. It took me many years to realise that the concept of "smacked backside" was worse than the actual event - therefore, my parents rarely followed the threat through. It's a sad indictment of the way we live today: you musn't be harsh on the little angels, but you must read the papers and be shocked when they're running wild!

treeve

Major Contributor
A fairly common response for the situation, but how effective?
CORPORAL PUNISHMENT: BIRCHING IN THE ISLE OF MAN
CORPORAL PUNISHMENT: BIRCHING IN THE ISLE OF MAN: legal position 1972
The Isle of Man retained birching as a policy until 1976 or so. It has been re-introduced as a threat from 1993.
There is also the question as to what constitutes crime.
Figures are being quoted of a 38% reduction in crime on the Isle of Man, based in 1981 figures. Which all rather points to a crime rise upon the ending of birching, only now stemmed by a strong effective police force.
But there have also been suggestions that a major deterrent is the introduction of a smoking free prison.
Isle of Man Constabulary crime performance reports - Isle of Man Constabulary

46traveller

Spare the rod, Tag 'Em.

Prisons are nearly full to capacity, and most of these idiots would turn into local heroes if they had punishment scars to show their friends.

Another easy way of "Treatment" would be to use the myriad of spy satellites at present circling the globe to track, trace, and even film their movements. If the violent offender was issued a dayglo orange jacket with a RFID chip fitted and ordered to wear the garment whenever they left home. (Failure to comply, would have serious consequences) the embarrassment factor alone would be a fair deterrent to any teenager or grown up for that matter. Turn them into outcasts of society for varying lengths of time dependant on the seriousness of offence. Any similar charges at a later date would lead to a stiffer sentence to be decided by a jury.
In the USA the people on Community service wear Day Glo overalls, in the UK they are allowed to wear their own clothes, why ??

Spin Off would be a "Google Earth Crim Watch" TV show, a Proper Job reality show.

Last edited:

46traveller

While I'm in the mood.......... What's that "Pub Watch" all about ? Lots of faceless names on a list usually kept out of site behind the bar. Get it in a prominant position on the pub wall WITH PICTURES. I wanna see these people. With the turnover of staff on licensed premises during the season, how are new staff going to positively identify a banned customer by name only ??
Just a thought.............

welb1931

What I cannot understand is why are the young people of today
so destructive - there is no reason to damage cars,shop windows
and other properties many years ago the flick from a policemans
gloves (which usually had farthings in the fingers) would demand
respect even if it were for just scrumping a few apples....

Top Bottom