Was the 70's the best?

treeve

Major Contributor
That bothers me, and I have to change that fact as soon as I can. Thankfully you and others are performers from a previous era and have an unquestioned talent which has been learned properly and has developed together,
it so happens that you play in the 2010 era,
but have not been spawned from it. ::1:

symons55

Staff member
True, spawned from the 60's, started 1970 and carried on until 09/10, haven't played for a few months and it feels like withdrawel, (?spelling) but starting again soon, age has no bearing on music, if you are able to perform, if public still want you, brill, if not it's still gratifying the pick up an instrument and still get a buzz from it.

treeve

Major Contributor
Absolutely; as Roxette sang .. Listen to your heart; another indicator of the lack of inspiration to be drawn from the modern music scene - it is basically to provide a platform for repetitive angst and bias, together with the dance scene, which presently could be provided by a team of riveters from the dockyard and I doubt anyone would notice the difference, except perhaps for the riveters.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Sorry been off because Internet was down.
Justin Timberlake is completely talentless compared to those with talent, in fact he is pathetic, a manufactured moron.
there you go again with a degrading statement I could say the same about White Snake! Perhaps they are a bunch of geriatrics who play their guitars whilst having an epileptic fit and tied to a live electric fence.... but I'm sure you'll disagree with that statement because you have a set motion on music and if you don't like it then nobody else should.

treeve

Major Contributor
Now, just where have I stated that anyone elso could not include this in their album collection. My point is that in comparison with so much talent out there that guy does not rate... 50 cent for example, great stuff, Eminem (for the most part) has some very deep lyrics and has given some incredible social comments. I also thought we lived in a free country. Will the real Slim Shady please stand up !! No one has yet convinced me that talent has generated from this last decade, other than a handful of examples; I know that my thoughts centre around Avril Lavigne ..

Last edited:

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
But my point being that this is your taste... Justin Timberlake is not in your taste zone... but there is no need to call him talentless or a moron. If he was either you probably would never have heard of him.

treeve

Major Contributor
Musical taste does not extend to selecting individual performers within a genre; I may never have conducted an orchestra, nor played a clarinet, but I can tell if the instrument is well made and the performer is top notch or otherwise, the same with guitars, the sound is distinctive and the quality stands (electric or acoustic), the same applies to Justin and his clan of irritating bigheaded arrogants that believe they are gods gift and possess nothing other than money, big deal. It is just mincing machine junk. Granted it has a rhythm but so does a shipyard.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
same applies to Justin and his clan of irritating bigheaded arrogants that believe they are gods gift and possess nothing other than money, big deal. It is just mincing machine junk. Granted it has a rhythm but so does a shipyard.
Clearly you have a lot of hatred in you.
Like it or not he is as famous as the rest. As I keep on saying. You are letting your personal taste cloud your judgement. You seems to have developed a personal dislike to Justin Timberlake to a degree of dismissiveness... in fact I might suggest that the hatred is deeper. As I've already demonstrated if I don't like a song, group or artist I simply ignore it...... I don't go out of my way to try and change others point of view of the subject.
Maybe our opinions are that different on Justin... but he is famous and making a very good living considering you thing he is a talentless moron!

treeve

Major Contributor
WRONG again ... I have no hatred AT ALL. Hatred is the other face of Love, not its opposite, the opposite is indifference; however if some trash is being rammed down my throat purporting to be 'good' then I object, it is as simple as that. Rather like wanting strawberries dipped in chocolate and only being given manky spam sandwiches.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Me again... You'll have to endure the long silence as we travel to and through Treliske.
I was referring to the amount of times you have referred to an artist as a moron. I read that as a personal insult to that artist and wondered why you hated them so much.
You're not too keen on Madonna, and I can understand that you may not like her music... but she can't be talentless as you put it or she wouldn't be at the pinnacle of her career... in fact beyond any other solo female artist of this time.... so clearly the paying public (her fans and others) disagrees and supported her by making her dream come true.
As for Justin Timberlake... not my kind of music but I recognise his artistic talent and have danced to one or two of his songs.
I get the impression that you have put the wrong labels on these artist and they should be labelled "Don't Like" rather than talentless or moron?

treeve

Major Contributor
Sent a message to Tracey. All the best for the young man.

I have to say on this again and again, my point relates to not like/dislike .. the man has no talent, I have recently watched a 'duet' with him and Paula Abdul, and it is clear from the start just which one is the talented one - he looks and sounds like a 1930s agricultural workhand in comparison to this undisputed genius of Paula Abdul; I have also subjected myself to 30 minutes of Lady Gaga, and the clear conclusion I get is that she has no talent, no lady and certainly does not make me ga-ga - the acts are pathetic. As a front for N Sync he coped fairly well as a part of that boy band, and I have to say that they were on my listening list then.
The main matter is that the taste gurus of selection of 'in music' dictate the music being broadcast, as I have said before here, the music is repeated ad nauseum until the public's mind believes that is what they should accept as 'good'. Madonna started well - fine performer, but gradually she has descended into the pit of being a celebrity and has used it to her advantage as becoming 'the one that does odd things' and gets away with it. It simply does not wash with me as to the general gullibility. It appears to me that you have a fixation on Justin bordering on couch consultation. :)
Success in the charts, items sold, relate to other social issues than talent. I have no need of celebrity culture in my life - I have my own, and it is really good. :)

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
The main matter is that the taste gurus of selection of 'in music' dictate the music being broadcast
they may... I don't know but they don't buy the records and you've just labelled all record buyers as mindless.

It appears to me that you have a fixation on Justin bordering on couch consultation. :)
not at all if you read my last post properly you will see that I said I didn't particularly like his music but danced to one or two. I've mentioned him a few times because he clearly gets your goat... and I was interested to learn why.... I mean your were on a personal attack of his character at one point.

I have also subjected myself to 30 minutes of Lady Gaga, and the clear conclusion I get is that she has no talent, no lady
That's fine... You don't like the music but she has already proved herself with over 1 billion individual hits on You Tube by the age of 20... Clearly 1 Billion disagree with you about talent.
I know that you mentioned that she is no lady... we it is rumoured that Lady Ga Ga is a transvestite, although that has not been confirmed.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
No I got the point... I think you label anything that is not to your taste as talentless rather than I don't like it... can't see how else to explain your personal attacks on some of the finest singers of our time.
I'm sure that Frank Sinatra would love to sing along with Lady Ga Ga.

That is it Frank promised not to drop a note ::11:

Last edited:

treeve

Major Contributor
My taste as you put is is not under scrutiny - it is wider than a generally accepted taste limitation. I repeat that this is NOT a matter of people I do 'not like'. It takes a special kind of person to know who and what I am.
just labelled all record buyers as mindless.
where? Remember that includes myself, by strict definition.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
where? Remember that includes myself, by strict definition.
You suggested that that the powers to be select music for the mass based on profit. You suggested that this was played to the mass through various medium until we give up and buy it. That takes away freedom of choice... hence the statement.
My taste as you put is is not under scrutiny
but it is by the vary nature of this topic... mine too

treeve

Major Contributor
I do not suggest - I know it is selectively transmitted and pushed on to an unsuspecting poublic - subliminal messages are not new and neither is implanted taste. Not that long ago there was a heated discussion between the BBC and the industry over just this. The public are being fleeced. Only the products that are supported are given air time, the real stuff is ignored. Bring back the thinkers, Bob Harris and John Peel (or at least people with integrity).

Last edited:

treeve

Major Contributor
Re post #96, so I did not say it, as I thought I did not. This post is about the differnce between ceativity and appeal of the two decades in comparison, followed by a request for examples of the recent decade; there being no examples of quality offered, my only possible conclusion is that I am right .. prove me wrong, not by You Tube statistics (many viewers watch more than once) or sales, they are no indicators of innovation or creativity. One of the most successful of records made was of a group of singing dogs -- it finally came out that it was a fixed tape, but it sold well ...

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
prove me wrong, not by You Tube statistics (many viewers watch more than once) or sales, they are no indicators of innovation or creativity.
There you go again... taking away the single biggest music measurement in place today because it does not suit your argument. You Tube is today's top of the pops but so much bigger. And just like us they log IP's and to make comments you need an account.
One of the most successful of records made was of a group of singing dogs -- it finally came out that it was a fixed tape, but it sold well ...
My point exactly... we haven't done records for the mass for years now. Perhaps if they released it on CD it might have had a dogs chance

treeve

Major Contributor
Have you read the comments on these videos? Most of the viewers click just to find out what the track is all about, then hit the stop button. Rating - It does not mean diddly.

Top Bottom