Was the 70's the best?

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
But S55 manufactured or not you can't write off an artist because they haven't performed for a while.
Success has Nothing to do with talent
Forgive me for thinking that this was precisely what you were trying to tell me.... you had to be talented to be a great artist. You quoted some of the greatest decomposers.... I rather fear that you are suggesting that someone with no talent could top the charts.... no seriously ... no! forget that I'm not thinking straight.

symons55

Staff member
Your on the amber nectar again...........and I upset you about your fav girl group.......I'm sorry..........::11: ::11:

treeve

Major Contributor
When I hear the trash that 'gets to the top' my only conclusion is that it was engineered by commercial intervention, such as airtime given (this began in the 1940s the battle is nothing new) tell a lie enough times and it gets believed.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
No... well yes I'm on the amber nectar but I have no love for the Spice Girls... Hell half of them have taken restraining orders out on me ::11:
I'm trying to point out that music in this decade is very good.... but only if you are prepared to listen to it in anything other than a closed mind.

treeve

Major Contributor
No answers so I guess I will have to continue with my collection of 'closed mind music' rave, trance, drum'n'base, rock, hard rock, progessive rock, mambo, tango, film, symphony, classical, jazz, country, country and western, vaudeville, gypsy, traditional, grunge, hip hop, opera and operatic selections, piano, violin, concertos and solos, chamber music, madrigals, georgian chant, yiddish songs, songs from Ukraine, Poland, Spain, Greece, Blues and blues rock, aborigine, American Indian, many African countries .... but that is me, I guess... closed mind.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Well yes... if you like because a lot of what you've mentioned isn't the scene today... you remember... now what did you call it ::6:
Just because you like music past doesn't automatically give you a front row ticket to the future.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
The present ain't all bad........
Finally... and by that you mean its different and not particularly to your taste? and that's fine. As I said earlier you can't write off a decade because of a few bad songs or that you might be trying to compare artists and groups.

treeve

Major Contributor
There we have it 'the scene today' underlines exactly what I said about engineered King's New Clothes Syndrome. It NEVER has bothered me the sheep attitude of fashion in any mode. I go for what has value. I have a mind, I use it. Give me a list and I will make up my own mind. Just which ignorant halfwits exactly considers themselves to be 'taste gurus' and dictate what is IN or OUT, seem to remember that policy was fought in the two WWs. One of the biggest sounds to have hit Europe is Red Bridge, I know. Looks like I am going to have to make my own research, the challenge not being taken. :)

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Just which ignorant halfwits exactly considers themselves to be 'taste gurus' and dictate what is IN or OUT
That would be the public
I have a mind, I use it. Give me a list and I will make up my own mind.
finally my point about taste. Red Bridge has no place in the 70's nor the naughties... its insignificance throughout those decades is the reason...

symons55

Staff member
The thing is, personal choice is all very well but it still ends up in the lap of the masses.

treeve

Major Contributor
Red Bridge had no significance anywhere until the group formed fully three years ago. The rest is reverse logic, another policy in which so many are confused. To say what is meant is NOT the same thing as Meaning what you Say. Still no convincing argument or information forthcoming. The King's New clothes. :)

By the way - I read a new book, wonderful ideas, don't know the author, or even the title, it was about something, but it was so good .. anyone that does not read it must have a closed mind (Tee hee) :). That is about what I have been told so far. :). Gullibility.

Last edited:

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
I'll continue this later... have to pop up to Treliske with Andrew..... he's being admitted.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Ok... still here at the top of the hill waiting for a phone call from Treliske.
Found this on the shoutbox
You never know, someone may even give a list of 2010 performers!
Not sure what you are asking here. Are you looking for a list of artistic musicians that has formed in 2010?

treeve

Major Contributor
Got it in one, precisely what I have been saying all along. From 2000-2011. I know of some incredible talent, but it cannot be all of it.

46traveller

Jogging along, some of the best musical talent anywhere is in the main ignored by the major recording companies of today. They have a fixed idea of what is going to be most profitable for them as in Looks, Dress, Age, and finally talent, that's why session musicians are so overworked.

As for timeless artists, I go with Paul Simon, he covered a few decades and commented on them in his work.

And I must admit to being a sixties music fan, so much raw talent, with the luxury of being able to play with some of the worlds greatest Blues men and other artists alike. It's small wonder that their talent and music is still appreciated by people today.

PS Anyone else going to the Little Feat Gig on Wednesday at the Falmouth Pavillions?????

Last edited:

treeve

Major Contributor
Well said, to a tee. Here is an example from one of my favourites Evanescence (formed in 1995) YouTube - ‪Evanescence - Bring Me To Life‬‎
Wonderful mix with Amy Lee, straight out of a Jungian dream, the song rises like a prayer over heavy rock, the combination is unbelievably powerful. An indictment of society and the effects it has on the spirit.

Top Bottom