Was the 70's the best?

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
So treeve you want to compare decades of music to talent in 2010 although we are only 8 months in to this year! That's loaded!
Come on face the fact that you don't like today's music because it talented and structured, well tuned and has depth, but you feel safe with the music you know and trust.
Given a choice you would rather tune in to BBC 5 live rather than Radio 1..... am I right?

treeve

Major Contributor
You are entirely WRONG, the question has not been understood at all, you are confusing me with an entrenched idiot that cannot hear beyond his own experiences, not to mention the taste gurus of unenlightened financial deviation to continue with garbage in the name of so called talent. The most important point underlined in any examination or technical survey is to read and understand the question. :) If it is being read without comprehension, then the answer is doomed from the start.

treeve

Major Contributor
#21,#39,#58 ... a short list of the key 'talented innovative performers' that I should be considering as being representative of our present day musicians and singers. Beginning from 2000 until 2010. Please. :)

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
I thought we already covered this?
If you listen to modern music you would know the answer.... no?

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
You passed judgement on modern music in the very first post yet you ask me to name the best talented artists.... surely you would know who they were in order to come to your initial conclusion?

treeve

Major Contributor
Not covered at all. Apparently you listen to 'modern music' yet cannot quote a single performer or track; which demostrates just how impactive and entertaining they are .. zero.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
No At all... I've already mentioned some groups and solo artists that are at the top of the league and you know that! I just can't be bothered to list them again just because.
The problem here is that music is judged upon taste and modern music is simply not your taste. That's fine but you have no right to rubbish it just because you either misunderstand it or resent it because it is created in a different way than you prefer.
I like most decades of music and the different kinds of culture that have been introduced over my lifetime. I even like Glen Miller, Opera, heavy metal and classical music..... but in each of those I too can find awful tracks even by the most talented musician but that does not mean I should write that period off.
I just think that you are being somewhat harsh on today's music if you were frank with yourself.

treeve

Major Contributor
I have a rule, be to myself as I would be to others. I am frank. Enigma have been around since 1990 and have extended into this last decade; Michelle Branch is unsurpassable, Vanessa Carlton also of that ilk, beyond that I have not heard anything that warrants merit (besides others I have mentioned in this thread)... I only listen to Radio One under sedative to avoid the effects of the presenters; Radio 1X is a favourite, besides, with a X xtreme radio dongle for the USB on the PC, my listening is extended across the world, so despite external preconceived ideas, I listen to 'modern music' - any harshness on such is purely generated from the overall impression of insignificance of that produced. The 70s was impressive, wide and completely inventive and it remains with us today as being the peak of real popular music.

Last edited:

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
That's how I started the thread... The 70's were arguable the best.... but that was my opinion and wanted to find out if anyone else shared this.
As for Radio 1Xtra, well perhaps you've been listening to some of the music extremes channels rather than the popular music channel. You confuse me... You say that music today is talentless and rubbish yet you confess to subscribe to Radio 1 Xtra... so do you or don't you like music today..... do you like Lady Ga Ga, Justin Timberlake or JLS?

treeve

Major Contributor
None of the Above. Having studied music most of my life and having been analysed as to my taste in genres, I can tell you it is rather high and wide, In fact of the genres given there was but one that did not reach 96%. That was Punk. So no one is going to pin a description of selective taste on me. I include Garage, for example. I have been proud of my ability to have no barriers in music and art generally since 18 or so.

treeve

Major Contributor
by the way, I listen to 1Xtra for the jazz and experimantal. Much of the electronic can be rather repetitive and merely extending the much better expressed Future Sound of London, whom I consider are real giants of moden music.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
None of the Above. Having studied music most of my life and having been analysed as to my taste in genres, I can tell you it is rather high and wide, In fact of the genres given there was but one that did not reach 96%. That was Punk. So no one is going to pin a description of selective taste on me. I include Garage, for example. I have been proud of my ability to have no barriers in music and art generally since 18 or so.
I don't doubt that... but I think you have stopped accepting new music. It happens! One day I won't like the kind of music my children like... But I wont write off the music because it's not my taste.

symons55

Staff member
My daughter slowly got out of listening to the likes of Cradle of Filth etc. and is now listening to a "better" kind of music, including stuff from the last 5 decades, music tastes do alter over a period of time. I hated her choice of music in those "goth" days but had to accept that it was what she enjoyed, it comes down to what I said earlier, personal choice, no matter what decade it's from.

treeve

Major Contributor
Once again you misjudge me. My taste is wider lately. I foresee a future including 'inappropriate music' - not forgetting that I have just past my 69th, a closed mind or closing the extending world of experience is not an option for me. I am retired not expired. :)

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
My daughter slowly got out of listening to the likes of Cradle of Filth etc. and is now listening to a "better" kind of music, including stuff from the last 5 decades, music tastes do alter over a period of time. I hated her choice of music in those "goth" days but had to accept that it was what she enjoyed, it comes down to what I said earlier, personal choice, no matter what decade it's from.
Exactly that

Once again you misjudge me. My taste is wider lately. I foresee a future including 'inappropriate music' - not forgetting that I have just past my 69th, a closed mind or closing the extending world of experience is not an option for me. I am retired not expired. :)
So what is so wrong with modern music that all the artists and groups (with exceptions) are talentless according to you?

treeve

Major Contributor
by the way .. Sweet Noise - The Triptic, a MASSIVE album of music crosses borders between Rock, African, Protest, Punk and Street music. Totally expressive and besides the genres quoted, it is not a direct allusion, the music grabs me completely. Takes a lot of beating as to talent.

treeve

Major Contributor
@halfhidden - well, I guess it comes to having heard so much music, that modern performers just do not make the grade .. Justin Timberlake is completely talentless compared to those with talent, in fact he is pathetic, a manufactured moron.

Top Bottom