Upgrading my kit

Pokerboy

Dev Team
Administrator
Well as some of you already know I do nightclub photography (not that I'm a photographer), but it gives me extra income.
One once said to me i couldn't make money out of taking pictures in nightclubs because they wouldn't see any benefits from it, however I've proved them wrong.

I'm looking at upgrading my current kit because in the new year I've been given a greater scope of work that my current camera and lenses wont be able to cope with at the standards i wish to deliver.
I have a budget of around £700 and would like a camera that can cope with low light conditions, group photos of 15+ and be able to cope well in side of limo's, I've been looking at the Nikon D60 and the Canon 7D as first choice cameras and kits but I'm no expert and wish to have the valued opinions of photographers and semi-professionals within the picture Penzance community to help guide me in the direction to a decent camera.

Any advice and suggestions of kit will be of great help at this point in time.

I look forward to your thoughts and suggestions, many thanks in advance.

treeve

Major Contributor
There are many "would be photographers", almost as many a camera makes. for me there is only the one camera - the Hasselblad. But I also am aware that I will never be able to do it justice. As with any technology or creative art, the camera will only answer the requirement and vision of the user. A good camera will technically produce the good image, but pictures come from life and the interpretation of lives. Study the masters .....I remember that I anwered a similar camera question. Too many photographs are taken that the art and observation is forgotten.

treeve

Major Contributor
Set out a list of criteria; cost, weight, balance, lens capabilities, sensitiviy, picture type, etc. Ask yourself what is wanted (observation of the character, ambience of the club,car interior, etc) . You obviously have considered depth of focus and field of vision. A good comparson would be to ask what vehicle to choose. "Horses for courses". Yes a centurion tank has potential, with accuracy and speed, but a mini moke may be more useful in getting around. Also training takes time and skill.

Pokerboy

Dev Team
Administrator
Thanks Treeve,
I can see where your coming from with your reply and I appreciate the time you've put into your replies. As with the Hasselblad although technically its one of the most advanced cameras around its also the price of a family saloon car and to which wouldn't work very well in non-studio conditions such as a nightclub or limo.

I have a budget all be it not a lot but with my current camera I feel it won't last that much longer, I feel I've worked it to the ground after having it for 3 years and besides which I've got forth coming work that's beyond the standards and qualities my current camera possesses hence why i need to upgrade sooner rather than later.

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
No, he got the Nikon D3100 in the end for his Birthday present, however I am looking at getting a camera such as the D90, Nikon D310, Nikon D5100 so any help on which best one to go for would greatly be appreciated!::15:

Last edited:

Planet Penwith

Super User
No, he got the Nikon D3100 in the end for his Birthday present, however I am looking at getting a camera such as the D90, Nikon D310, Nikon D5100 so any help on which best one to go for would greatly be appreciated!::15:

So the choice is the D90, D3100, & the D5100...I can immediately point you towards the D5100! :) The other two are good cameras, especially the D90. But the D5100 packs in some great updated tech. It also has some interesting special effects settings. If you want something to learn on then get the D3100. If you want something a bit more technical, then get the D5100. I'm no expert but I'd go for the D5100 myself. Here is a spec sheet on what it can do and some reviews by purchasers (especially the first review) to help you decide:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-18-55...UHTQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316073192&sr=8-1

I think you wouldn't regret getting the D5100 Tracey :) x

Last edited:

Planet Penwith

Super User
I'm saving up for the D7000. Nearly there, its been a struggle, lol. Next up a nice lens...either the Nikon 10-20mm 4.5/5.6, Sigma 10-20mm 3.5 or the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8...in the £500 to £650 mark. A LOT of saving then! I will probably save up for a prime lens first though...a Nikon 50mm 1.8G. I can then use this as a portrait/general use lens.

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
Hi,
many thanks for your comments and the link,::15: I've thought long and hard about which camera to buy and I was left with the two (last night) D3100 & the D5100, because I am a novice at the DSLR's as I am so used to point and click, pocket camera, I am going for the D3100 for a starting point as I can always upgrade later on even if it is just after a short time of buying this one, and also Jay has this one, and I have seen the stunning pictures that this camera produces. (not saying that mine will be as good but maybe one day!)::11:

but I am intending to go out alot more and do photo shoots, we have already started doing this every two weeks,so if anyone is up for going off somewhere for an hour you are more than welcome to join us.::15:

Planet Penwith

Super User
Yeah, it's a good camera. My brother has one too. I would advise anyone on a tight budget to get the D5100 over the D3100. It's superior in every way and it wouldn't take you long to get your head around the knobs and whistles. There's the price to consider too... D3100 is approx £399 with 18-55mm VR lens - D5100 around the £500 mark with the same lens. It will save you money in the long run going straight to the D5100 now and paying the extra £100..the resale price of the D3100 etc. :)

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
Hi, many thanks for your advice always welcomed!,::15:

I have gone for the D3100 just so's I can get used to the camera (which I'm hoping it wont take me long!) then I can go straight to the D7000 (or thats my plan anyway) also if for any reason, Jay's camera stops working, or has a fault then he can borrow mine, heaven forbid this wont happen (although his is that new too and still under warranty)

also I brought this one D3100 as the cost varied so much from shop to shop, £399 was the price I paid, but have seen it on sale for £500 or more, also was looking at the D5000 which was around £549 price, the D5100 model was priced £599 (this was the cheapest I had seen this), so I couldnt really afford a further £200, but I see where you are coming from.

Also as you know I am now attending a camera club, so hopefully will learn new tricks and tips as I go along...::15:

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
As you know I have purchased a Nikon D3100 and havent had it very long, but have discovered that I am having trouble in getting my SD card out of the camera to transfer the pics to the laptop, as in :- you have to push the card in to the camera to release it, mine does that but then gets stuck it will not come out and I have been trying for several hours to get the card out, was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem ??

ChrisTru

All-powerful
You could try the tweezers, but having said that, I have a D60, and i just tried to take my card out with tweezers, and to be honest there's not much room in there for card and tweezers, my advice, take it to the camera shop, don't risk doing any damage!

treeve

Major Contributor
I did have a problem with my XD cards wich I had been told were "compatible" Olympus, they did store as I had hoped, but would not transfer from my camera Fuji Finepix HS10, so I have got a separate Reader. Maybe it is as simple as that, being flexible in thinking through these problems.

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
there is enough room to hold on to the card, but pulling it out you cannot, its litteraly stuck, although HH has manged to get it out so I can at least get my pics off the card but I'm afraid to put it back in again, we went into the shop where we brought it from and asked (as its under 2 yr warrenty) if we sent it to be looked at how long would I be without it, and I was told 3 weeks minimum, I cannot be with out it for that long. Also the lady said use the USB lead that came with the camera to get the pics of that way but I said there was no lead in the box, she said there should of been and then went out back to get the camera out of the stock room to check and to show us what it looked like and was very surprised to learn that this particular model does not come with the lead, it is the only model in this range that doesnt!

was wondering if Planet Penwith's brother has had the same problem, as he has the same make and model, but saying that my eldest has this make and model too, so we looked inside where the card goes to see if there is any difference as in something sticking out inside preventing the card from coming out easily, and there is nothing that we can see that is different between the two, very strange thats all I can say!

ChrisTru

All-powerful
Well, like Treeve, i now use a Card Reader to transfer my images, so i have a cable, if you would like to borrow it until your camera is back to 100% you are quite welcome. But then again, putting the card back in again, doesn't actually solve the problem!

treeve

Major Contributor
Thinking about this, this is a clear matter of your rights, and the camera should be returned for expert care. The auto spring release MUST be made to work. There are many leads for connection to cameras and if Chris can help, go ahead, but take that camera in for inspection:)

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Chris for the offer, I may take you up on borrowing your lead if Steff can’t get the card out this time.
I have had to put my SD card back into the camera and I noticed that it sticks when I put the card in to, and yes you guessed it...its stuck! Lol, will be taking it back to be fixed on Monday for sure, hope I won’t have to wait too long for its return...

treeve

Major Contributor
I have been in a situation, of late. But as well as the three Fuji's, I have a Kodak Z915 to keep me going between cards and batteries, it is not so frenetic these days, of course, but I suspect that you have "fall out options" available. Key thing is that your camera professionally fixed before something radical happens to it, or your pictures/cards. Again I find it exremely helpful to have a choice of SD and XD at hand.

Top Bottom