Trapped drivers rescued as floods hit Cornwall

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
View attachment 259
Search and rescue helicopters have been used to free people trapped in cars and homes in flood water in Cornwall.
Heavy rain and gale-force winds have caused severe disruption across the county.
Main roads have been closed, a landslide at Lostwithiel has stopped train services in and out of Cornwall and some schools have been shut.
There have been no reports of serious injuries, but people are being advised not to travel.
Bodmin, St Austell, Par, Luxulyan, Lostwithiel, St Blazey and St Blazey Gate have been badly affected and in Portloe an empty car was swept into the harbour.
Helicopters from RNAS Culdrose and RMB Chivenor rescued trapped drivers near St Blazey.
A spokesman from the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) said coastguard teams were working with emergency services to evacuate flooded buildings across coastal communities, with the incident elevated to "gold command".
Cars under water All the county's main trunk roads and travel routes have been affected.
The A30 is closed across Bodmin Moor after a lorry shed its load, the A390 is closed between St Austell and Par and part of the A38 through Glynn Valley has also been closed.
Flood water of up to 6ft (2m) was reported in some places.
In Lostwithiel, there have been reports of cars under water.
Lostwithiel resident Derek Baynton told BBC News: "When I looked out of my window an hour ago I feared a Boscastle-type situation.
"The worst of the rain is over, but the water's still flowing down Quay Street in both directions."
Cornwall Council said fire crews have been deployed and police were advising motorists to drive with extreme caution.
Peter Tatlow, from Cornwall Highway Services, said although a severe weather warning was issued by the Met Office on Tuesday, it was "almost impossible" to keep gullies clear of leaves and debris at this time of year.
The A390 is partially blocked in both directions in Gunnislake due to a fallen tree.
The Met Office said the severe weather should clear eastwards later.
Article BBC

Top Bottom