Votes: 11 39.3%
  • I don't know

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
[video=youtube;Gj3qesTjOE8?fs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v/Gj3qesTjOE8?fs[/video]

This is a genuine clip of the 1920's Charlie Chaplin film "The Circus". The film was made in the 1920's and appears to show one of the extras in the film walking and talking on a mobile phone.
Is time travel really possible?

Has the first real evidence of time travelling been found? A video on YouTube seems to think so.

On the DVD extras for Charlie Chaplin's 'The Circus', a woman is spotted in the background at the movie's premiere in 1928 and appears to be talking on a mobile phone.
Stunned by what he saw, Irish filmmaker George Clarke consulted experts on his find, and has since posted it on YouTube. He claims that the video has not been tampered with in any way.

The footage does seem to show a lady nattering on a mobile phone, but if you thought your phone reception was bad at normal times, we hate to think what it would have been like in the ‘20s.

Cynics have scoffed at the footage, asking, if you were a time traveller, would you openly show off the amazing gadget? Others have asked why you would go to a Chaplin premiere if you could go back to any point in time?

Clarke replied, "Who says the person in question went back to see the Chaplin premiere? How about, the person went back to an earlier period and got stuck there or was in town doing something else and just happened to stroll on by."

Have a look and see for yourselves

Last edited:

tabtab13

Excellent! Heard about this on the radio yesterday so thanks for posting the clip! Perhaps it's not a mobile phone ... but a communicator and he's actually talking to the Mothership, high in orbit around the earth (cue Star Trek type music!).

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
Amazing! does ask the question is time travel really possible? and if so will we be seeing more or similar things to this clip?
on a different note I used to watch some of Charlie chaplins films, and also Harold Lloyd.

tabtab13

Perhaps time travel was discovered in the late 80's/early 90's before hands free - the experiment went horribly wrong and she ended up trapped in that period and the whole research project was closed down! She would be dressed in clothes of that period to blend in.

The other question is why 1920? It would be interesting to do some research into that year and see if anything out of the ordinary happened or whether a chain of events started then that have either finished, or are on-going into the future so we're still waiting to see the final results of whatever it was she started back then. Presumably, 1920 would have been chosen for a reason?

She does look as though she is speaking into something - so what sort of technology of that period could it be? Assuming of course, that it's not a mobile phone of some sorts ....

Of course, realistically, it's not a mobile phone and there's a perfectly simple explanation. But what things like this do is get the old brain thinking away - and that's never a bad thing. I find things like this fascinating.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
A thousand pardons! I didn't allow any permissions for anyone but myself to vote... Oops! Still at least you all know my opinion on this now ::11:
The permissions are now fixed please cast your votes

trepolpen

Major Contributor
It's obvious to me that the lady, shielding her face with one hand, is sheepishly smiling and saying, "Get that b***** camera off me, I'm not one of your b***** props!" and as she says this, she looks briefly at the cameraman.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Well I was very excited when I first saw the footage. Now... I'm just as excited.
@ poppy if this woman really was a time traveller then arriving in the 1920's dressed in modern clothes would probably freak out the public. In a way it would have very much the same reaction if I dressed up as a caveman and walked the streets. So if I was going to time travel I would defiantly dress like the locals to prevent drawing attention to myself.

@ BoP
If she's got the technology for time-travel, you'd think she might have a hands-free phone!
well it all depends on what decade the time traveller came from in the fist place. I know nothing of time (except how to waste it ::11:) but if this time traveller (if that is what we saw) was from the mid 1990's then the phone would be about that size... wouldn't matter if they then zoomed to the year 2010 as they have just been committed to film in the 1920's

tabtab13

@tpp - A very plausible explanation, but I would have thought the fingers would be extended if she was trying to shield her face from the camera - it certainly looks to me as if she's using her hand to hold something.

tabtab13

On the subject of time travel, we are limited in our understanding of the Laws of Physics by what we know TODAY. And I think on the whole, most scientists say time travel is impossible. However, the knowledge we have today is far, far advanced than what we knew 1000 years ago. So who knows what our understanding will be in a 1000 years time?

BayOfPlenty

@ BoP
If she's got the technology for time-travel, you'd think she might have a hands-free phone!

well it all depends on what decade the time traveller came from in the fist place.
So are you suggesting that the development of time-travel predates that of hands-free telephony? :eek:

Top Bottom