This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Picture Penzance is free to join and use. So why not join our community. As a member you can upload images, add comments, participate in our contests and connect with like minded people.
    All the best,
    Halfhidden (founder member)

Sign up for free today
Membership Is Free
No Adds
Members Only Areas
And lots More!

CLICK HERE

THE NEW SCIENCE SCHOOLS FOR PENZANCE 1890

Discussion in 'Public Property' started by Halfhidden, Apr 8, 2016.

By Halfhidden on Apr 8, 2016 at 8:17 PM
  1. Halfhidden

    Halfhidden Untouchable Staff Member Administrator

    Messages:
    3,008
    Likes Received:
    947
    THE NEW SCIENCE SCHOOLS FOR PENZANCE Description and History the Finished Building July 1890

    The science-classes have been conducted in Penzance for about 17 years in rooms in the basement of the Geological museum. They were started by Mr A. K. Barnett, who is still to the forefront in organizing and managing this valuable educational institution, and he has been supported by competent assistants. These rooms were found to be inadequate for the efficient teaching of the sciences and for carrying on the practical investigation in the laboratories. About 18 months ago the committee took steps towards providing new premises for the classes; and, having had very liberal offers of support, and contribution; having come in fairly well, plans were drawn up by Mr Henry White, of Penzance, and early last year the committee accepted a contract with Mr Richard Hill to build the new schools for £1163.

    In August, 1889, the foundation-stone was laid by Mr T. B. Bolitho, M.P., and the schools were fairly started.

    The contractor has carried out his work to the satisfaction of the committee; and the building which is now completed is not only an ornament to the town but will prove to be of great advantage to young persons who may earnestly seek scientific study and investigation. The building adjoins the Art-museum on Morrab Road; has frontage of 33 feet, and forms a block of 75 feet in depth. It is built of granite; and, from the modest appearance of the quiet exterior, nearly all visitors are intensely surprised to see the commodiousness of the rooms inside. The secret of this is partly that with the exception of the entrance-hall no space has been wasted on passages, and this makes the rooms spacious and convenient.

    The building is entered by an ornamental tiled lobby with red pine dado. The first room to the right is large and lofty, and has not for the moment been appropriated. Its dimensions are 36 feet by 25 feet, exclusive of the bay window, which gives an additional space of 11 feet by 7 feet. At the rear of this room is a large one, 32 feet by 26 feet, which has been fitted and furnished as a lecture-hall, having platform with lecturer's table, according to the plans of the Science-and-art department, South Kensington; with all gas, water, and electrical fittings for conducting experiments in the natural sciences. This room is dadoed all around; the whole of the woodwork through the building being plain varnished wood.

    Between this lecture-room and the front apartment is another room 18 feet by 8 foot which can be used as a chemical preparation room, and also as a dark room for photographic work.

    The upper rooms are approached by an easy flight of stairs and all are entered direct from the landing. The south room to the rear is fitted-up as a class-room, having lecturer's platform and tables of the same style as in the lecture-hall below; and has also reversible seats and desks for the students. This room is also fitted with fume closets for carrying away any noxious fumes which may be generated in chemical experiments.

    Adjoining this is another large class-room (26 feet by 16 feet) in which there is a skylight, so that the room may be used for photographic purposes as well as for evening classes. Another doorway in the landing gives access to a most complete and well-equipped lavatory.

    The other doorway on the landing leads into the main laboratory of the building, which is also a fine room 36 feet by 21 feet, exclusive of bay-window; the dimensions of which are 11 feet by 7 foot These rooms furnish approaches to two others, one which has tiled floor and tiled skirting, and contains two firebrick furnaces, one constructed as a wind, and the other as a muffle, furnace, suitable for all kinds of assaying and metallurgical operations. The other room, which is 18 feet by 12 feet, is called the balance room and will be reserved for all the more delicate chemical apparatus and manipulations connected with quantitative chemical analysis.

    The down-stairs rooms will be heated with coal fire in slow-combustion stoves, which are surmounted with massive varnished slate mantelpieces. Upstairs will use Fletcher's regenerative gas-stoves, set in tiled niches with ornamental tiled hearths.

    Every attention has been paid to the practical ventilation of the building, there being inlet and outlet ventilation to each room, the outlet being connected with flues carried to the chimneys above the roof of the building.

    The woodwork of the laboratory benches is in accordance with the most modern designs of the Science and-art department, South Kensington; and, when properly equipped, will furnish opportunities to the student who may embark on a course of technical instruction and education unequalled, in the county. The whole of the masonry, carpentry, and joining work has been carried out in a most thoroughly efficient manner by Mr Richard Hill. The plumbing was done by Mr T. Stewart and the gas fittings are by Messrs N. Holman and Sons. The original contract for the building alone was £1163; but with internal fittings, furniture, and gas, will altogether amount to £1700. Towards this sum £1470 have been subscribed, leaving a balance to be cleared off amounting to £230.

    It is hoped that the whole of the science classes in the town will be concentrated in the new building. Complete arrangements have not yet been made as to the subjects to be taught; but, after the public opening ceremony, which will take place about the end of September, the following classes will be conducted:
    Theoretical and practical chemistry ; mineralogy; geology ; theoretical and practical metallurgy ; and assaying. The study of principles of agriculture, botany, and physiography will, probably, be taken up; among the teachers being Mr C. Corin and Mr G. F. Gasson.
     

Comments

Discussion in 'Public Property' started by Halfhidden, Apr 8, 2016.

Share This Page