Tesco

tabtab13

Just been reading online about Tesco's expansion plans for their store. Do we really need this? I see they also plan to extend their parking facilities - but where? Couldn't see any mention of how they were going to do this. To me, I can't see how that can be done without the destruction of green areas.

Then we have the old chestnut 'it will create more jobs and that's good for the local economy'. Knowing two people who used to work there, the policy seems to be when someone leaves there, they are not replaced, the work just gets divided amongst the remaining workers. Morale there was at an all time low but I don't know what it is like now, somehow I don't think it will have improved.

Local shops in town are suffering enough already and personally, if I wanted the 'benefits' of hypermarkets left, right and centre, I'd go live in a city. I have issues with the stranglehold Tesco have up and down the country. Some might say this is progress but I disagree.

Or am I just being narrow minded?

Whoops - too wound up and put this in the wrong place. Can it be moved?

Last edited:

treeve

Major Contributor
Like many multinationals and chains, the process is 'bigger gets more custom to pay for the bigger'. Unfortunately like so many, there is a false logic about it all. After the promotion of the car industry, which still continues, it is partly realised that the roads cannot at present deal with an increased traffic flow, without policy changes, and neither is it possible to have a continued upward flow of purchase. It all has its limits. The money is not there, unless it is only to drive the income for the banks, increasing debts and hardships, to 'keep up with the Jones's'. People can only consume so much in a week. With Tesco Policy as it is, it will not encourage more shoppers, having already near destroyed Penzance's shops and then after leaving the town, to open another store in town. What we need are real shops. The destruction of Penzance's shops encourages many to shop online or to visit another town that does have shops. Ultimately though, this is down to Cornwall County and their Planning policy. Financial giants will always be greedy, always they will show disregard for matters of real value. The question is has Cornwall County divested itself of all of real value? As they have already shown, is this destructive policy to continue.

Planet Penwith

Super User
Im with you on that Tab, I don't want to see Tesco expand anymore....we all ready have the price rip off of the Tesco Express. I'd like to know why town planners gave the go ahead for that to be put in town. In fact, Id like to see the big store got rid of and placed back in town...not going to happen in a million years. Lots of empty shops, businesses closed.... business rates are very high, no customers...no wonder. I hate to say it, but PZ is dying, slowly but surely

tabtab13

Until shoppers vote with their feet, sadly the expansion of giant supermarkets will continue. If you can buy everything you need under one roof, during one trip and it's cheaper then that will always be appealing to most people. I hold my hand up, once a week we have curry. I make the curry itself from scratch but recently we've been buying an Indian snack pack from the Tesco Express store. It's in town, I can pick them up while buying other bits and pieces and it's easier to buy samosas etc than make them yourself. I think they cost around the £1.50 mark and it's the only thing we ever buy from Tesco, but It means I am also part of the problem, I am helping feed Tesco's large profits. Time to start looking through recipe books and either making the time or do without as far as the snack pack is concerned for us, methinks.

treeve

Major Contributor
On the subject of mass markets and their bludgeoning of our shopping habits and the environment. Have you ever looked for FRESH fruit and vegetables? How much of that is grown in Britain? How much of it is grown in Cornwall, let alone in the 'West Country'? Or, to put it another, how much is grown world wide and, packed and flown in by Boeing at 120tons of kerosene per flight, let alone the transportation fuel in each country? What price 'Fresh'? What environmental cost Fresh?
Picked, sorted, cleaned, peeled, prepared, in fruit juice, sealed, crated ..... just how long does it take to get to the shelves? Two days? If it has not been picked green and then transported in cold storage ... There was a time when humans were quite happy to have what was in season, now tastes and demand have been cajoled into wanting it now. Just how much of this income is reaped by the farmers in the source countries, I wonder. As one man used to put it 'Not a Lot'.

46traveller

There is a reasonable size Tescos in Carbis Bay, they took over the building from Somerfields. This store being basically out of town, and a couple of miles from the next store (Costcutters) at Longstone Cross. I'm guilty of some shopping there, but it's usually items the local shops don't stock, or don't appear to be fresh. Then while researching food properties (Vitamin Content etc) I came across this link>> Food Irradiation FAQ Basically it puts into doubt how fresh is fresh in these bigger stores, they must buy by the ton. Even the smaller shops could be buying the same produce, we just don't know. Tescos is fast becoming the English version of Wallmart. Until people get together and protest very loudly, I can see no Council refusing their building applications. With the high street shops dying, and ridiculous business rates charged for High Street premises, the Councils excuse is "We need the revenue from these properties or the Council Tax will have to rise" That is the excuse used in St Ives for letting Pizza Express or some such outlet take over the old Woolworth Store slap bang in the middle of Fore Street. Shame On You Councils...........

treeve

Major Contributor
Now that is something to seriously worry about, though worry contributes to other human illnesses and susceptiblities. The idea of someone irradiating food, it the stuff of nightmares. Just what effect there is in altering DNA and then consumimg that altered DNA? It is also used to kill off insects in the food - great so now I can eat dead insects in the food, that should not be there in the first place, as living insects. There is supposed to be a marker on irradiated foods.

Top Bottom