Seasonal Scams

CHILLYWILLY

These are two e-mails I have recieved today warning of scams that are up and running in West Cornwall. BE WARNED These are genuine

CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS BEFORE LEAVING THE CHECK-OUT

I bought a bunch of stuff, over £150, & I glanced at my receipt as the cashier was handing me the bags. I saw a cash-back of £40. I told her I didn't request a cash back & to delete it. She said I'd have to take the £40 because she couldn't delete it. I told Her to call a supervisor.

Supervisor came & said I'd have to take it. I said NO! Taking the £40 would be a cash advance against my Credit card & I wasn't paying interest on a cash advance!!!!! If they couldn't delete it then they would have to delete the whole order. So the supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order & re-scan everything! The second time I looked at the electronic pad before I signed & a cash-back of £20 popped up. At that point I told the cashier & she deleted it. The total came out right. The cashier agreed that the
Electronic Pad must be defective.

Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad was defective because she NEVER offered me the £40 at the beginning. Can you imagine how many people went through before me & at the end of her shift how much money she pocketed?

Just to alert everyone. My co worker went to Milford , Sainsbury’s last week. She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her along and didn't give her a receipt. She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her. My co worker didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for £20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH BACK!

My co-worker called Sainsbury’s who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money. She then called her niece who works for the bank and her niece told her this.

This is a new scam going on. The cashier will key in that you asked for cash back and then hand it to her friend who is the next person in the queue.

Please, please, please check your receipts right away when using credit or debit cards!

This is NOT limited to Sainsbury’s; they are one of the largest retailers so they have the most incidents.

I am adding to this. My husband and I were in Sainsbury’s and paying with credit card when my husband went to sign the credit card signer he just happen to notice there was a £20 cash back added. He told the cashier that he did not ask nor want cash back and she said this machine has been messing up and she cancelled it. We really didn't think anything of it until we read this email.

I wonder how many "seniors" have been, or will be, "stung" by this one????

To make matters worse ...THIS SCAM CAN BE DONE ANYWHERE, AT ANY RETAIL OR WHOLESALE LOCATION!!!

BEFORE LEAVING THE CHECK-OUT........CHECK YOUR RECEIPT!!!!! ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p</O:p

POSTAL SCAM

Can you circulate this around especially as Xmas is fast approaching - it has been confirmed by Royal Mail. The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam:

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a Premium rate number).

DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize.

If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £315 for the phone call.

If you do receive a card with these details, then please contact <O:p></O:p>
Royal Mail Fraud on 020 7239 6655.<O:p></O:p>

denanmor

treeve

Major Contributor
Agreed ... Denanmor is right. ALWAYS do a search, more often than not it is unbased virus or scam. But the scams continue fom sources elsewhere.

CHILLYWILLY

'ALWAYS do a search' and 'scare mails'. Check 'your facts' first. The cash back scam is genuine. I can drive you up to ask one of potential victims for you to ask her if you like, she lives only 20 minutes away. Perhaps the supermarket in question has something to hide.

As for the snopes.com comments I suggest you think your way through the process when you have requested cash back. I cannot recall having to press a 'yes' button.

The comment from the company reads like the usual rushed and put together disclaimer when something like this is put together. They actually admit buttons can get pushed accidently. Where there is smoke? Could you see our top supermarkets admitting to this if it was going on?

missp and I can both relate to this. missp asked for cashback at a local supermarket. When she got home she was £20 short. We followed it up and went back the the next day. To be fair they did hand over £20. However they informed us that the till was correct on checking. Which begs the question, where did the £20 go?

denanmor

It's just funny that that email was so similar to the Walmart ones with Sainsburys substituted. It may happen, but I doubt it happens very often. More likely it is human error. I did the same thing, walking away from the till without the cashback I'd earlier asked for (having forgotten in the time it took for me to type in my pin!) and the cashier didn't remember either. I had to wait until the next day to get my money until after they had cashed up.

Top Bottom