Seagulls

It was the police that told me its illegal to shoot them Halfhidden. And, as you can see from my above post, I far from consider them a pest! And no, it isnt illegal to feed them in your own garden. Again, it was the police that told me this.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
To be honest I wouldn't take a great deal of notice what the police tell you... they clearly have no idea. Incidentally, can you confirm that the police visited you or were you visited by PCSO's?

It was the police. Why???

And I would imagine that they have a bit of an idea... otherwise they would have arrested me wouldnt they???

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Well just that most of the time PCSO's deal with this kind of thing and they have little to no legal training. In fact they are only offered 2 weeks training initially before being allowed out on duty.
The reason why I said that the police have very little idea about the law when it comes down to this kind of thing is that a good friend of mine was recently involved in such a thing. He is a police officer in Penzance and has been working as a Police officer for 4 years. He told me that they (the police) don't really know what to do. They have one officer (they call Dr Doolittle) who covers the entire Devon and Cornwall area. So if they are called out to seagull feeding they just put the frighteners on the person... job done.

That's why I asked.

Well there was certainly no attempt at putting the frighteners on me for feeding seagulls. On the contrary actually - they were rather awed by my garden!!! And certainly amazed that the rabbits dont run for the hills when anyone comes in the gate!

Interesting conversation Halfhidden thankyou! May I just finish with pointing out to Tab Tab that my photos are on the previous page!!!! He (sorry, presume "him" to be a male) has been patiently waiting for my pics.

tabtab13

Hi Merlyn - yes saw your pics and yes, I am male. Did you see the pic here about the seagull photo? http://www.picturepenzance.co.uk/forum/news/682-seagull-photo-wins-%A35-000-a.html

Great to see your photos, unbelievable to hear you had people coming around trying to shoot one (them). What sort of pleasure can people get by doing that? It's beyond me. Must have been a very stressful time for both you and the birds. Heart warming though, to read other things you said in that post.

Thanks for the link Tab Tab - I hadnt seen that photo. What a cracking picture it is!! And, like you say, good to see it win first place.

I tell myself it was a good thing that I never managed to get my hands on the ***** that came round shooting at Pepper. I would still be in prison.... Its believing in karma that keeps me sane. I once caught some lads get an air rifle out their car. As I got to them, they were aiming through the trees at the rabbits in the garden. They never got the chance to take a shot coz I really lost my rag with them. They didnt seem to like being the wrong end of their own gun with a very demented bint at the trigger!!!!!!!.......... they couldnt get away quick enough!!!!!!

I will sort out some more pictures sometime and put them in the gallery. Other birds and wildlife. Some arent very good quality as they were taken a good few years ago now, before digital cameras were around.

fleagle

The word is SEA gull and that is where they should be. I love to see them flying from the cliffs, perching on the prom railings and bobbing up and down on the SEA. What really drives me mad, especially when I have a line of clean washing out, are 2 of my elderly neighbours who insist on feeding them. They are not the ones who have to re-do my washing when there is s--t on it.

Maybe if "Man" actually left them some food in the SEA then perhaps they wouldnt have to come inland to scavange.

But thats the human race all over isnt it. Just have to meddle with the balance of the planet.... then complain when it comes back to bite em in the arse.

tabtab13

Too true Merlyn.

Mankind is the most useless species on the planet - we are like a virus, continually growing, continually destroying.

Take the simple army (or soldier) ant living in the jungles. Voracious predators who leave a wake of destruction in their 'world' by killing (then eating) any living thing that comes in their path.

But even they have an understanding of what they are doing. Once one foraging path has been cleared, they leave it to replenish by going off in other directions before returning.

We on the other hand will just keep taking and taking from the same place until it becomes void of life and a wasteland. THEN we move on and do the whole thing again somewhere else.

Disrupt the balance of nature at your own peril - something that's always worth remembering.

Not only is Mankind the most useless species TabTab, but also the most stupidest and greediest.

(which is pretty much what your post is saying anyway!!!!!!!!!!)`

46traveller

Well, agree with Merlyn on the mankind is stupid bit, there are those that would interfere with nature by feeding wild creatures of all shapes and sizes. How is this helping nature ? Surely nature doesn't need mans help to keep things in balance ? In fact as always it's mans intervention, that idealogical view that some have, "We can and should help" that creates the problems. Nobody likes to see creatures suffer, but that's the natural way of things, the weak die and leave the strongest to breed. It has been this way for a lot longer than man has been around on the planet, yet some still think they know best.
ANYONE out there who thinks that they know better than nature how to control species, are in fact part of the problem, not the solution.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
I think the evidence is overwhelming your honour, the common thief... uhum! seagull is nothing more than a flying organised terrorist cell of highly sophisticated beakies.
I rest my case. ::11:

46traveller

There is only one solution, we must stop people buying ice cream !! Those poor birds always get the blame, and really it's our fault. "Give It Up Now" you know it makes sense...

This message was brought to you by FASCISM (Flying Aerial Super Crafty Impudent Shite Machines) Gull Party.

Top Bottom