Respec't

treeve

Major Contributor
As an observation, I am just wondering what other people's experiences are. For example, today, I was walking up a narrow pavement. A van driver was making deliveries from a van parked at the roadside. The pavement was blocked with a mixture of empty and full crates. The way ahead was clear provided I stepped between the cottages, crates and the van. Ahead (well ahead) was a young couple heading down the street. My decision was to head up the street, as the delivery man was in the house. As I reached the upper crate, the young couple who had increased their walking speed suddenly became in my path. There was then barely enough room to pass. I was greeted by a verbal display of irritation at my being there. It appeared that 'Hades was having sex', if you follow me, and they just pushed through. I was raised by my parents to stand back politely and allow older persons to pass, out of respect and consideration for the possibility of a reduced physical ability... to give them time. Now, I do not have any wish or expectation of being treated like royalty. But it was the same on the station the other day. Waiting in the 'queue' for the train. Push and shove to get past me, and other older people, then lump in the seats and us older, fitter and more mentally active had to stand, whilst they could fiddle with their mobile phones and other of their intellectual challenges.

I also am extremely puzzled at the present trait of listening to 'music' emanating from a mobile phone, or some other storage, through the tiny speakers blaring out their tinny tones. We have progressed from the cassette player to the CD player, each through high quality audio systems and high quality headphones, then it was the mp3 player and iPod, again with high quality headphones. We have now returned to the days of the getto-blaster or tranny, of mangled loud groans. What was the personal choice of the listener, has become the inflicted racket on many, with the loss of quality to the intended listener. It makes no sense at all to me.

::6:

tabtab13

My personal favourite is coming across three (or more) people on a narrow pavement, walking three abreast so you end up having to move out onto the road to get past. Even better when you're carrying heavy shopping. Grrrrrrrr. Depending on my mood, I sometimes refuse to do this and the looks you get!

Other offenders are young women (or rather 'girls') with pushchairs. You stand back to allow them to pass and you get no acknowledgement, let alone a thank you - as they are invariably too busy yabbering into a mobile phone.

There seems to be an age cut off point when it comes to politeness or street etiquette. Those below this age invariably don't give a damn and those above tend to be polite and thank you. I fear it is a generation issue, those who are young now will not change once they get older having not had the values of politeness instilled within them as they grow up. More the pity.

Occasionally, I'll come across a teenager (or younger) who is polite and well mannered - and it's such a surprise!

And yes, mobile phones playing music, in fact mobile phone full stop with their variety of annoying ring tones. Years back I had to commute by train and many failed to understand the concept of the Quiet Carriage.

Mmmm ... I think I have turned into a grumpy old man.

bear

grumpy old men

Treeve I completely agree with you and Tab Tab. It is almost "you have to be rude to be cool man " territory. This is a way I deal with pavement thugs. I learnt this method when I lived in Heamoor, when I had to walk up to Heamoor when the kids were all walking into town during lunchbreak. It was like swimming against the tide. Now you may think this obvious, and this man is a total idiot, but it works for me. Here it is a pearl of wisdom. Always walk as close to the wall as you can, and everybody moves out of the way to go around you. Occasionally you meet that young mum with the pram and mobile phone, but she can't be everywhere.
I think this thread will run for a while, I'm glad you started it off.

fleagle

I am not sure if this comes under this heading, however, my real bug bear is elderly people who ride motorised scooters on the pavement and have no thought for the pedestrian. One person we see regularly bombs along so haughtily as if it is her right to be on the pavement and everyone must go into the road to get out of her way. My sister witnessed a near fatal accident when her dog jumped out of the basket, which was attached to the front of the scooter, and ran into the road causing a nearly fatal car crash. It can be really exasperating when we are out walking along Love Lane, or the back street lanes and we are having to stop to make way for another 'rat run' car; now we cannot even walk on the pavement without nearly being run over. Some of these drivers have not got a clue about the high way code. It is against the law for me to ride my cycle on the pavement so why are these motorised scoooters allowed on them?::13:

tabtab13

Yes fleagle, you gotta watch out for those scooters! We've been caught out a couple of times by them hurtling up behind us and we've not heard them coming. We've seen an elderly lady in one out Chyandour way speeding along the pavement and her poor little Jack Russell was bringing up the rear trying to keep up. Some seem to go a lot faster than perhaps they should - I reckon they must take them somewhere and get the 'engine tuned up' to get every ounce of power out of them. Have seen stories in the papers in the past of pensioners drunk while out on their scooters. Serious stuff, but I must admit the image does make me smile. Growing old disgracefully! I'd like to see one on a customised version, extended forks at the front. low to the ground - something like that! But joking aside, it can be a bit of a problem and I wouldn't want to be mowed down by one.

symons55

Staff member
Hey tabtab, how about this oldie then, blow growing old gracefully, the end of last year 2009 I just bought myself an 1100cc motorbike to do it disgracefully.::15:

tabtab13

Nice one s55! Mmmm ... I can picture you in years to come on a souped up customised 'scooter'. With a King and Queen seat as well!
::11:

treeve

Major Contributor
Like the Chief that was killed.
He had a wonderful golden chair.
A visiting chief had heard about it,
but it was hidden in the roof of the hut
so it could not be stolen.

As the visitor left,
the chair suddenly dropped from the roof and killed the chief.
Which all goes to prove that people who live in grass houses should not stow thrones.

Top Bottom