Penzance petty court session 14 year old girl serving alcohol

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
MONDAY AUGUST 12, 1889 PENZANCE BOROUGH POLICE. —Before the Mayor (Mr. W. H. Borlase) Messrs. W. H. Julyan, T. H.Bodilly, and J. Dennis, and Major Rosa, C.C.
Wife’s Maintenance.
Richard Hosking was summoned to show cause why he should not pay £6, 7s 6d to his wife, Grace Hosking, under a maintenance order made by the Bench.
Defendant said that he had paid his wife as much as he had been able to pay. He had not been in steady work, and had been in receipt of parish relief.
Mr. Cornish (the Magistrates Clerk): You have had no relief from this Union. ln reply to the Mayor, Hosking said that he was suffering from a bad leg, “any gentleman," he added, “can inspect my leg now."
Complainant said that last Wednesday she had half-a-sovereign from the defendant. The bench adjourned the case for a month, in order to give the defendant an opportunity of keeping up the payments.
Newlyn Against Penzance. “ He Hit First." Charles Hitchens and John Vincent, two youths, were summoned for fighting together on the Western Promenade on the 21st July. Defendants pleaded guilty. A young man named R. W, Matthews said that on the evening in question he saw the two youths with their coats off, fighting. They fell together, and continued to fight while on the ground. Hichens said that Vincent hit him first. Superintendent Nicholas: I think this is case of Newlyn against Penzance. One is a Newlyn boy and the other Penzance boy. They meet on Sunday night, and there is generally row. Mr. Bodilly remarked that that part of the Promenade was generally very disorderly on Sunday nights. Defendants were bound over in their own recognisances of £10 each to keep the peace for six months. (that’s £1,180 in today’s money)

Furious Riding.
Richard Thomas Nicholls was summoned for riding furiously at Penzance on the 29th July.—P.C. Osborne said that shortly after twelve on the day in question the defendant was riding at a furious rate down Chapel-street. The children were just coming out of the schools, and some of them narrowly escaped. Witness followed the defendant, and demanded his name and address, which he refused to give, but witness subsequently obtained them. Defendant said that the horse was wanted as soon as possible, and added that one of children struck the animal, causing it to go faster. Defendant was fined 5s and coats.

Drunkenness. William Evans was summoned for being drunk on the 28th July Penzance. Defendant did not appear and the case was heard ex parte. Sergeant Harry, who proved the case, said that the defendant was dead drunk.” Fined 5s and costs.

Joseph Burt was summoned for being drunk on the 6th August at Penzance. P.C. T. Casley said that about two o'clock on the day in question the defendant was at the back of St. Mary's Terrace. He was drunk. He was fined 7s 6d.

Supplying a Drunken Woman with Drink. Henry Trevena, landlord of the Fountain Inn, Penzance, was summoned for having on the 2nd instant supplied intoxicating drink to a drunken person. Superintendent Nicholas said that on the day in question he went to the Fountain Tavern, where he found a woman named Mary Taylor standing at the bar with a glass of rum before her. She was drunk, and her appearance was such as to make her condition obvious. The defendant's little daughter, fourteen years old, was serving in the bar. Witness asked the girl if she had drawn the rum for the woman, and she said that she had, but that she did not know that she was drunk. He asked for the defendant, and was informed that he was not at home. Anybody exercising ordinary discretion could see that the woman was drunk. Defendant; These old-fashioned boozers can pull themselves together when they come in, and even a competent person would find it difficult to detect them. The girl only noticed that the woman was untidy. —Mr. Julyan: Did you think it a proper thing for a child of tender years to be trusted in such a place. Defendant I was away at the time, and my sister was engaged in getting dinner. —Mr. Julyan It seems to me that a child of that age should not be exposed to the contamination of a public house bar. In reply to the Mayor, Superintendent Nicholas said that he bad cautioned defendant once previously. With that exception the house had been very well conducted. Defendant: I have been keeping a house for eleven years, and have never been summoned before. The Mayor said that the Bench were willing to believe that the defendant would not have supplied the woman with drink, but they considered that he was to blame in allowing a young girl to take charge of the house. He was responsible for what took place in his absence. —Defendant was fined 14s and costs.

Top Bottom