Mussels

tabtab13

Been thinking recently about taking some mussels from Larrigan beach as a tasty treat.

But I've never seen anyone do this and I pass by the are quite frequently.

So I'm wondering if there are any 'legal reasons' why I shouldn't do this or whether pollution would be an issue in that area (the bay seems pretty clean to me).

Anyone know much about this?

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
Hi,
probably best to ask a local fisherman as they will know the area much better maybe?....

treeve

Major Contributor
The Bay is clean, certain species may be limited quota. Never heard of any restriction.. A number of boats about dragging mussels..The Question as far as you are concerned possibly links to the protection of wildlife as far as the countyside is concerned. The beach may not itself be as clean ....as the sea, as with any sea life it must be fresh, well cooked, etc

CHILLYWILLY

Poach in white wine, sliced onion, garlic, lemon, a knob of butter and herbs. Serve the mussels in their cooking liqour with fresh granary bread. Stunning!!!!!!

CHILLYWILLY

Mussels should be closed before cooking as they may already be dead if open. If they are still closed after cooking they must be thrown away.

BayOfPlenty

I know that you need to cook muscles properly in order not to get poisoned.
Well, I lay no claim to culinary expertise, but I'm pretty sure that if you cook your muscles, poisoning is likely to be the least of your worries...

tabtab13

Am I right in thinking you need to soak them in fresh water for a while before cooking - or can you pop them in a pan straight from the beach?

CHILLYWILLY

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Raw mussels should be shiny, mostly unbroken and closed, and should smell of nothing other than the sea.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]After picking get them home straight away and cover them with plenty of cold fresh water.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Scrub them well and remove any barnacles and the tough fibrous beard, throw away any with broken shells. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Raw mussels that refuse to close are dead so throw them away. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mussels that remain closed having just been through the cooking process must be thrown away.[/FONT]

trepolpen

Major Contributor
@BayOfPlenty: Good one! I thought the same myself! Haw! Haw! Haw!
images
Poison by polluted mussels could cause muscular pain too, I would imagine.

I adore mussels as a matter of fact and this looks like a good way of doing them. I took this photo in Spain before tucking in:
day4aalteatues63small.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom