If music be the food of love, I'm starving

treeve

Major Contributor
Out of interest ... who can play or has played a musical instrument; anything, Age five I played on the Ruboleum, having first trained on the Linoleum. We had the obligatory school Recorder classes with Doffy Behenna and I picked up the piano (gave me a hernia). First learned the guitar in 1959 - a Hofner Congress, fitted with a Selmer pick-up. Being a full acoustic classic jazz design (at £16 half the price of the 'proper' one, The President) was already a good sound. I went for a mix of Hank Marvin and Eddie Lang, just played for fun and amusement, also went for the Country & Western and/or Folk Songs. We did have a rough group for charity occasionally .. The Prophets, for a Chapel. Modelled around Les Stromphe, a French group, with a nod towards Donovan. Tought bass guitar. Later met with another guitarist and had a go at classical style, another guitarist came along and I had a go at Burt Jansch. About this time I was introduced to King Crimson and Magma, and I got married, we had three children, and the guitar 'went out the window'; Now, with the advent of arthritis, and the passage of over forty years, my fingers and memory will not get around a fret board, the guitar is there waiting for me to get some practice in - a Stagg Gibson style with a Laney amp ...

Anyone else got a story?

symons55

Staff member
Started at about 10 learning the piano, gave it up a few years later to go out to play. After first marrige went sour took up guitar, made my first one then had a Yamaha, got into folk music with Tanglewood then Touchwood, in that time had another Yamaha, started playing bass also and had a Fender Precision, shortly after that bought a Hofner President, this I used when we started Smiler, I then transferred to playing bass with Smiler. Out of Smiler also came the trio The Likely Lads and a couple of duos. Smiler started in 1977 and lasted for 25 years only packing it in due to the physicalitys involved. The likley Lads which was the three front line without drums and was the start of Smiler, still work together today, after 32 coming on 33 years. Not bad for an old git I suppose.::11: We play and played covers, anything rock/pop Hollies, Eagles, Beatles, Claption, Dire Straits, Free, Led Zep, etc etc.
My guitars are: - The Hofner Presidant 1960 model
Fender Jazz Bass 1970 model with active pickups
Ovation/Applause acoustic bass 80's model
Encore 3/4 size 6 string acoustic 1980 Model
Old columbus bass about 70's model
6 string Telecaster copy (solid) about 70's model
The amplification for the bass and or guitar is a Trace Elliot 350 ax bi amp head with GP11 eq, and two 4x10 Trace Elliot cabinets.
Electronic keyboard and the Irish drum. Anyone else? TPP?

Last edited:

treeve

Major Contributor
What a brill tale, thank you for a valuable continuing contribution to the history of the Penwith music scene.
C'mon tpp, don't be shy. (asif). :D
Anyone else, the accordian, squeezebox, flute, piano, wind organ ..... ?

Oh yes, just remembered, I did play on the Canterbury Cathedral Grand Organ once, with what limited knowledge of the piano I had, I really take off a stack of hats to anyone that can truly play the pipe organ.

Last edited:

treeve

Major Contributor
My grandfather played 'The Spoons' as well as a harmonica and the 'squeeze box' [concertina]; my father-in-law played the 'jew's harp'. We had a few pianists in the family, one trained musician, my cousin could play a certain English Rosewood upright piano with brass candle-holders .... once music was in many households, in many inns and on may a ship. Largely now unless it is piped and mashed, seldom is heard the discouraging word where the deer and the antelope play. Get off the cooker Granny, you're too old to ride the range.
Anyone play Orange Blossom Special? Remember The Spotnicks? All recorded in their front room in Sweden, note for note like the old violin virtuoso C&W song. Myself, I think that is one failing of modern society, no pursuits, no participation .... What thinkest Thou, oh pudding face?

Top Bottom