This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Picture Penzance is free to join and use. So why not join our community. As a member you can upload images, add comments, participate in our contests and connect with like minded people.
    All the best,
    Halfhidden (founder member)

Sign up for free today
Membership Is Free
No Adds
Members Only Areas
And lots More!

CLICK HERE

Heamoor homes plan goes to private architect 1981

Discussion in 'Heamoor' started by Halfhidden, Jan 15, 2016.

By Halfhidden on Jan 15, 2016 at 10:42 AM
  1. Halfhidden

    Halfhidden Untouchable Staff Member Administrator

    Messages:
    2,738
    Likes Received:
    940
    ANOTHER STEP on the lengthy rood to getting homes built on the large Heamoor site outside Penzance was taken by Penwith Council at last week's meeting.
    The members backed a "design and build" package deal, with a single named contractor and a private architect, and turned down a move which favoured a plan by the council's own architects' section.
    The council was informed that it was hoped to have detailed costs between August and September, with the work on site beginning around next February or March.

    The council agreed that a single contractor, E. Thomas and Co, together with John Harvey as architect be selected to carry out the first phase of 35 homes in the Heamoor scheme. The council officers will negotiate with this firm to establish a price, and to enable a contract to be prepared.

    The council's Standing Orders are to be suspended "regarding requirements to invite tenders", it was decided.
    E. Thomas and Company is also to be invited to purchase part or all of certain adjoining land, for private housing development.

    The council's architects had put forward their own scheme, which was rejected. In reply to the protest move the chairman of the housing committee Rev. David Jasper, said that the committee had not given the go-ahead for the inside staff to prepare the scheme, and that the council would reply to the District Auditor in due course.
    At an earlier meeting of the housing services committee, held in private when this item was discussed, the chief housing and technical officer had submitted a detailed report dealing with the "method of selection of a suitable firm to undertake this contract."
    Council members were told: "Five firms, had been approached and discussions had taken place with four firms responding to this initial- approach.

    "The report dealt in detail with the assessment of each of the firms, and in conclusion it was noted that from the investigations it seemed that a package deal or a design and build scheme could work."
    “Last week, Mr Owen Philp whose move was defeated 22-4 said it was ludicrous to farm out work like" this when they could do it themselves, and his brother. Mr Colin Philp felt the recommendation from the housing committee was a "serious error of judgement."
    Committee chairman the Rev David Jasper, said the committee had gone into the merits and de- merits. The only way they could see it being on schedule, and notthe subject of even more procrastination and delays, was to follow the recommendation.
    The recommendation was agreedwith 24 votes in favour.
    E. Thomas and Company; were the firm awarded the negotiated contract for the extension of the council offices at St. Clare, no other firms being invited to tender.
     
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016

Comments

Discussion in 'Heamoor' started by Halfhidden, Jan 15, 2016.

Share This Page