Chopin Liszt or What did you buy in the shops Mummy?

treeve

Major Contributor
Just wondering how many of you actually write a list of 'things that we have run out of and would like to re-stock', how many have an idea of what is needed and just go around picking up things to put in the basket/trolley, how many pick up what looks interesting or what is cheap this week, and how many succumb to impulse buying and crumple in the face of pester power (or worse). How many simply go on line and wait for it to be delivered?

I have just been to Truro today to get a selection of sauces and spices, oils and oriental vegetables, and so on. Basically as far as I saw, Truro is full of closed, empty or quite inconsequentail premises, just the same as Penzance. The major difference as far as I can see is M&S and other larger stores, a sizeable book shop, wider selection of 'eating places' and a Tescos that is the other side of the road instead of being a long walk or bus/car ride away. They do have a national music outlet, which is pretty good and Undercover Markets. But,all in all, it to me is not really that much better than what has happened in Penzance. For example, I was looking for the Chinese Emporium that used to be my main shopping place for spices and oriental veg and so on; that has gone. There were four other smaller outlets (one Indian) that I used, they are empty. In fact to be blunt, I could not find what I considered a good grocers. They may be there but the two that I frequented have gone. They do have a Burger King, my favourite fast burger outlet. They have the best Map (worldwide) shop anywhere.
I ended up in 'last resort mode' going to Tescos - finding many of the products that I was wanting. I know what I can get in Tregenzas in Penzance, but there are a few other things that are no longer available here, which is a shame. It all is a part of the commercial representation to buy ready made meals, the bane of a healthy life.
I will probably have to get them in Plymouth.

Tell us your shopping experiences ... and any tips.....
ignoring the Council Tip. ::6:

symons55

Staff member
For myself when shopping it's mainly in auto mode, knowing what I want and doing the up one isle and down the other, mainly in Morrisons with the occasional Lidle thrown in. About once a month I do a list of things coming close to running out, ie. pwders, liquids bags etc. I generally do one shop a week, I cannot be one of these people who have to pop into shops every two or three days, occasionally I may get caught out but not very often. As I only cook for myself and daughter there are not vast amounts of varieties needed, and with working as well I sometimes do not want to spend hours cooking or preparing food, but I must admit I'm also not one for loads of 'ping' meals or prepared meals one can buy.

missp

@treeve, have you not tried the Chinese shop in Taroveor Rd, between the pizza place and the launderette? You may get what you want there.
As for shopping its not one of my favourite things to do but needs must. I am trying to do a shop once a fortnight now, as shopping for eleven here at Hutchens House can be a chore. I go to Tesco for dried goods, Iceland monthly (and get it delivered), and have meat, fruit and veg delivered by local businesses. I have my milk delivered ~ no shop here at Paul ~ by a first class milkman who got through in the snow when nothing else seemed to.

treeve

Major Contributor
Hello lovely lady, and thank you for that, Taroveor Road, never occurred to me. I will give you an example (I have recovered my desire to cook, as it had left me for three years) and one meal I used to enjoy (as we all did) was yellow bean and curry, I made the curry part, but the yellow bean was a thick paste, in a jar, and no one makes it, so now, I have to make it with a recipe that I have; like Mrs Beeton, I first need to get my yellow beans. No one stocks them.
It has been years since I went shopping for ingredients.

I can imagine shopping for the Almshouses is rather a hefty task. ::7:

It sickens me that 'my' shop/post office has gone. Spent a lot of time getting that working/looking right.

ps here we are
Chan's Oriental Food, 2, Taroveor Rd, Penzance, Cornwall TR18 2AA
xiè xiè nǐ - kàn qǐ lái fēi cháng hǎo
[thank you - it looks very good]

Last edited:

treeve

Major Contributor
Stocked and ready

Afternoon trip well worth the walk. Chan's has it all, and more. There were a few basic items he did not 'carry', such as common or garden herbs. But all sorted, including my Yellow Bean. Thoroughly recommend the shop and Chan knew exactly what I was trying to find. Most helpful.
As a matter of interest, I then went down to Tesco Express and got those other items, including smooth peanut butter, balsamic vinegar, .... The young lady is a credit to the place, lively, helpful, chatty and an incredible smile.
Kitchen now fully equipped and running, sah !!

missp

@treeve, am glad that Chans was useful for you, it could do with moving into a better position in town. Enjoy ::1:

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
when I first read the title I thought you were discussing decomposing composers ::11:
I've never shopped in Chan's... in fact I'd forgotten about it until now. How long have they been there?

missp

@HH, 2 or 3 years at least, we moved to Paul 2 and a half years ago and I used to use it regularly when we lived in town. CW thinks even 5 years? If you go, check out the pancakes for spring rolls, they are excellent and not worth the hassle of making your own for the price.

tabtab13

List

I'm a list man myself, and not only that, I mentally 'walk around the shop' in my head and write the list accordingly to where the items are and what's on that week's menu.

This serves two purposes - less time faffing around wandering aimlessly and you can spend more time checking out any special deals while still knowing that what you've gone out for, you'll go home with. I've found that without fail, if you don't make a list, you'll forget that one vital ingredient - and it's quite grim coming back home in the rain and realising you've forgotten something!

We also have a back up system too - such as if one coffee jar is open, there's a full one in the cupboard etc.

For those things such as spices, etc I'd suggest the health food shop up Causewayhead near the Cinema - though I haven't been there for a while, but I can't imagine it's changed much.

I see you found your yellow beans, treeve - were you after a ready made sauce as such or just the dried beans to make your own? I would guess that the health food shop might sell them too.

CHILLYWILLY

I agree with missp (as a consumer and not because of the obvious) Therfe is a wealth of ingredients in this small shop on the fringes of Causeway Head. Another place for the cookery expert or experimentor come to that is what we call the ethnic corner up at Tesco Extra. It is situated as you enter the supermarket in the very far right hand corner. There are ingredients to be found here from every continent, a lot can be far cheaper than big brand names in the main isles. For example cream coconut is only 29p. Pickled baby octopus an absolute delicacy is one of my favourite finds.

tabtab13

CW - you may want to keep an eye out for when Lidl's have their 'speciality' weeks - they've done Italian, Spanish, Mexican - and Greek. And quite often when they do, you can pick up things you wouldn't see in the bigger supermarkets.

CHILLYWILLY

Yes tt13, we have seen and tried these at Lidls, missp especially likes the Eradounous greek range they have. the greek yogurt is the closest to what we eat in Corfu.

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
I normally write out my shopping list, whilst going through the cupboard/fridge etc to see what I need, put the list on the table, and when I'm ready put my coat on, grab a shopping trolley (or HH does) and I grab some used carrier bags and off we go!

Yes you've guessed it I have left my shopping list on the Table! how many times I have done this I have lost count, but don't you just hate it when that happens?

anyway in lidls now and trying to picture the list from memory....not easy, but I have to say like Tabtab13 it is so annoying that the very thing you need, you do not pick up and you have to make that "special" trip once again.
we normally walk to Lidls twice a week sometimes more, not neccessarly to pick up items but just for the walk and thier excellent red wine at £3.49 a bottle (normmaly £3.99) and to see whats on offer.

I normally stock pile items such as Ariel liquid (washing machine), polish, toilet cleaner, kitchen cleaner, toilet paper, kitchen towels, stock cubes, soy sauce, worcester sauce, coffee etc, as and when they are on offer, However having said that, if I see something that I don't really need but is on offer then I may um and ah about it and it really depends on how much money is in my purse at the time, to depend on if I buy or not.

but as a rule of the thumb I buy most of my heavy goods online, then go into town daily (except this week and last) and to lidls as mentioned, fresh fruit and veg in thornes and yes the spice shop in causewayhead is brill, carries most of what I need, and you can choose how much you buy!

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Me, I'm not a shopping list person. I always seem to have that mental list in mind. That said If I'm buying for a commercial kitchen I will endeavour to make a list.
@CW pickled baby squid .... ooooh!

I am partial to a bit of Greek cheese in olive oil... what is that called. It usually contains some sun dried tomatoes and olives...
@tabtab13 what did we do before Lidl..... do you remember the baked bean price war back in 1994! Lidl sold tins for just 3p

treeve

Major Contributor
I have my list in hand, (Sort of brother to Franz, Hans Liszt). I often invite them all around, many hans make light work of the food.
When I have finished the 'Christmas food', I will be up in Chan's again for the real food. I absolutely hate opening a recipe book, deciding on what to have, only to discover there is none in the cupboard; Cooking is a wonderful creative discipline, for that matter. Work and anticipation. The building used to be the office of John Harvey (architect). Whatever, I would rather have an emporium !! The Yellow Bean that I used to use up until a few years ago was a thick paste, in a jar. It is used a lot in Chinese cooking, but I had found a good spoonful in the curry brought out the most amazing flavour and smells; most yellow bean now is a bean in suspension, not the same thing, but they make something very similar to the one I wanted, a crushed Yellow Bean, a sort of jelly. If it is not right, I have a recipe for the paste. I have a number of books on African cooking, Japanese, and especially Chinese (one I bought from Beijing a few years ago with authentic recipes) - my favourite is variously spelt Kung Po, referred as the oldest recipe in the world.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Funny you mention Kung Po... I've spent many a hour looking through the menu of a Chinese take a way and conclude that a Kung Po is the best meal there..... Ummmm! I can taste it now!

@CW I'm still worried about the baby squid thingy! ;)

Top Bottom