Broadband & ISPs

treeve

Major Contributor
Having met tabtab13 today, a fellow of infinite jest … resolved???
I will now add the following … you gotta be joking, mate.

Telephone call from Orange Customer Care, 1408-1431, 27th October 2009.
Besides talking through my letters, one of which has only arrived today, it was clarified by myself that I did NOT acquire another broadband service (an impossibility for me to have done so), as Orange has interpreted, and that the router fitted was fitted to Orange supplied DNS. This is why I word the letters the way I do, so I can be sure as to whether or not they are being properly read and fully understood. I was in business too long to write in any other way. At no point have I said anything that could be construed as meaning that I obtained broadband services from some other company (how can another company supply broadband on a line on which a broadband company is already supplying broadband, on the basis of LLU with BT.?

It was also clarified from the conversation that the originator of the whole problem was the incorrect registration at inception in the shop. It was an incorrect supply and pricing. I also made it clear that as far as I am concerned the degree of information given to the customer is very sadly lacking;
it was said that the terms and conditions are all online … but how can a customer read them, if the customer is not able to go on line … that point was conceded by the lady.
In fact I had to press for a copy of the Registration. Which is as well that I did.

In my opinion the world has lost the ability to write letters and, more importantly, to understand them and a file of correspondence.
The concept of dated letters in date sequence appeared to have eluded her.

I made it clear that I did not approve of hijacking the landline account, even if it was controlled by the necessity to agree in writing with BT for that to happen. When approached regarding the bypassing of privacy TPS etc, through Orange the lady could clearly not comment as to that fact, avoiding the question deliberately, embarrassed in the extreme, knowing the conversation was being monitored by Orange; that to me confirmed the fact that it is a condition of having Orange landline that the user is subjected to unsolicited advertising phone calls.

She also admitted that call centres were manned in Pakistan and India, though they did have some in the UK, and she did admit that staff at call centres had no direct knowledge of broadband or internet, not having received any special training in either, thereby confirming my suspicions that I would have been fobbed off with some ninny reading from a set of prompt cards, with a smattering of English (which is more than my knowledge or understanding of Hindi).

Apparently the account for which I registered is available at £19.75 per month (not the £9.75 that I was quoted), with no mobile phone [a mistake right from the outset], but with the hijacking of the landline account. The lady also now comprehends that in no way did I have any internet connection after 20th September 2009, and so all communication was by letter, irrespective of the Orange way of phoning at what I understood was 50 pence per minute, and she explained was 4.89 pence per minute, nothing was explained to me as a prospective customer from the start in a clear intelligible manner. The lady stated it was a highly competitive market and this age of squeeze is having a serious effect on their business. My thoughts on that subject are that that is all the more reason to ensure a wider coverage and a firmer customer base, as it is, because of total incompetence and poor documentation, they have lost a customer and he is completely disillusioned about their company, having had a steep learning curve thrust upon his attention. He will certainly not have a good word to say about Orange.

I can see now why confusion and chaos has spread through industry and finance, if this is the ‘modern’ rush and tear of pzazz, hot heads and air heads over the telephone, without a thought or a careful read of data and assessment of correspondence for an intelligent reasoned planned outcome, with no collective, collated order products and businesses fade and die.
=============================================
However, I have no desire to buy timeshare or insurance over the phone. If they are unhappy with the phraseology or vocabulary of the response, they are not of my instigation. They can pay a visit to the taxidermist on their own behalf.

All in all, this company has fallen foul of the very worst business can provide in the way of pitfalls, both for themselves and for a potential customer. I could not have been on the recording end in such a way without having planned it all for a TV ‘fly on the wall production’ – another mugs’ game if you believe any of that fix and rehearse.
My regret is that it was not for TV, as I would be almost as quids in as if I had been running the Orange enquiry line at 4.89 pence per minute.
However this is all real, only my life has suffered, not my sanity – it required considerable patience and persistence. They picked on the wrong guy this time.

treeve

Major Contributor
Any comments, observations, legal stuff or technical stuff please?

I have received the letter [about which I had been called by Colleen (in which she waived the disconnection fee)]; the letter was written by an aggressive young halfwit, name of Paul Thompson of the Correspondence Department. You see they have a special department set up to write words to people, the reading part will be tackled next year I guess. Instead of writing that he “thanks me for bringing these matters to their attention, we will investigate them and ensure that this does not happen in future”, he closes by saying 'thanks for taking the time to write to us'. How patronising.
The crux of the letter, bearing in mind that I have always said that I have never had
broadband before, and that after 20th September I would have no internet connection at all, he states that "In order to seamlessly transfer your broadband service to another internet service provider, you need to give your new provider a MAC code which is provided by us at your request. We've no record of you requesting a MAC code, therefore, It was your responsibility to contact us and request cancellation of your account in accordance with our Terms of Use. Your account was closed on 20th October 2009. As your broadband account was closed without the use of a MAC code, a disconnection fee of £24.61 has been added to your account in accordance with our Terms of Use".
----
Well without going too deeply into the reasons for the closure, not the least of which was Orange's failure to provide a working router, with clear Terms of Use available to someone without access to their website, not providing the correct Package (ie without mobile phone) , without anything remotely resembling a form of contract. Perhaps I should have settled for the lady's cardigan that was delivered... Correct me if I am wrong I thought MAC is migration access code? So that is 'migration access code code' now? His letter is entirely unclear; he obviously has not taken that last lesson yet. Possibly thinks grammar is his mother's mother.

At what point in the ten-day provision of broadband service should any customer have asked for a MAC? Upon registration having informed them it is my first 'use' of broadband, I was actually asked for a MAC. Logic escaped through the door then. Let alone again in the letter written by Paul Thompson.

Bearing in mind, in any event, there is no broadband to be seamlessly transferred before or after, at the moment.

Here is the clever bit ... the letter was written on the 20th October, stating the account
WAS closed on the 20th. I saw the light go out on the router at 11pm 20th. The letter was postmarked 23rd, it arrived 28th. So someone is telling porky pies.

So, next time a company waves the ’18 month contract’ in your face, remember they tear it up to suit themselves when they have made a gross mistake, a series of clangers dropped along the way, when they realise they have signed me up for a Package at half the going rate, when they have decided that they have no desire to provide a working router, and when they realise they have not hooked in another sucker paying the US gold reserves into their telephone call centres. Their contract is not worth the paper it is written on, oh, hang on a minute, the ether it is carried in ….
::12:

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Quick update from our side of things. You'll know that we too are experiencing broadband problems. You'll also know that the Post Office have ignored all written correspondence and made it difficult to rectify our problems.
Incredibly one phone call to "OTELO" and suddenly the Post Office wants to be our best friend!
However, the tech support guy (all cocky down the phone) demanded that we did a test using their new broadband load test site. He was convinced that we were surfing at 7.5mb.... well the test completed and their software confirmed that we were surfing not at 7.5mb as they though... but at 95kb.
Thats 5 times slower than ISDN and 100 times slower than the average broadband connection.
Here's the printout below.

Last edited:

treeve

Major Contributor
Well - that is Orange gone Pear Shaped, and the Post Office not Delivering, how many others to choose ....::6:

treeve

Major Contributor
Eclipse

After a bit of nosing around and a firm recommendation (from someone who I see as solid as a rock), last night (2nd Nov at 11pm) I registered for Eclipse Broadband; I was offered a connection ASAP. They meant what they said. It is due for connection 7.30 on the 9th November. Yes I have had three emails, but one of them confirms that all details are being sent to me in the post. 10Gb/month, the line is capable of 5.5Mb, though that will be subject to running tests. £17.95 per month; no problems, since I closed the TV licence and the dial-up travesty, I am still saving on the deal. ::7:

tabtab13

Glad to see there's finally some light at the end of the tunnel of your on-going broadband problems.
::1:

treeve

Major Contributor
Here is another instant comparison.
I asked a web question on site. I had an immediate answer;
unlike Orange who determined not to answer two of them at all, and the one that was answered was incomplete and a week later. Eclipse answered everything in great detail.
I will keep you posted.

treeve

Major Contributor
Eclipsed

Other Providers take note ....
Having registered 11pm 2nd November, the initial package was delivered here by Royal Mail 10.30am 4th November. That is the service that I grew to expect in my professional life, no lame duck excuses about delays in the post or holdups in the packing department. Pack and send. So far a major success and not a shred of hair torn out.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Post Office broadband

Now I'm not suggesting conspiracy here or anything. But eventually an engineer called at our place to do some line tests and try and find a fault.
He didn't find any fault but our broadband is now travelling at 6.5mb..... I'm happy with that but how come it suddenly works....::6:

treeve

Major Contributor
Conspiracy Theory

All I know is that nothing is what it seems; I have discovered that there are insects in the rotting wood. It is all done with smoke and mirrors, the public is permitted to see only that which is intended by management. In your case the 'coincidence' is more than striking, it is downright bl@@dy obvious. We Cornish are not so stupid, do they think we have cauliflowers for brains?

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Well, well, well! Stuff me with a half baked orangutan covered in maple syrup whilst wearing a second hand thong made of coconut hair and dermaptera's eyelashes.

We seem to travelling at warp factor three captain (that's 6mb to you and I). We have moved into the 21st century with our broadband connection!

WHOOPEE !!!!

symons55

Staff member
Ughhhhhhhhhhhh what a site that would be....no....don't.........I'll have nightmares now.::11:

treeve

Major Contributor
as a side line ...

As an interim measure, I have got a 'new' recon; hp pavilion t370.uk; Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz 0.512MB (L2 Cache); Bus Speed 800MHz; Pavilion T300; Intel 865PE.Memory 1024MB 333MHz DDR SDRAM; Floppy Disk Drive 1.44MB; Maxtor 6Y200PO200GB (200GB) 7200RPM Ultra DMA Hard PATA Drive; Radeon 9200 Pro 256Mb GFX; DVD Rom + DVD/CD-RW; Assorted card readers, 6 x USB;seems to have a number of other features, as yet not identified or verified. Software identified Adobe AIR; Adobe Flash Player 10. Active X; Adobe Reader 9; AVS DVD Player 2.4; Java 6u7; Microsoft Visual C++ 2005; Sun Open Office org3; Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0; Microsoft Outlook Express, Realtek AC97 Audio. Any comments?

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
As an interim measure, I have got a 'new' recon; hp pavilion t370.uk; Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz 0.512MB (L2 Cache); Bus Speed 800MHz; Pavilion T300; Intel 865PE.Memory 1024MB 333MHz DDR SDRAM; Floppy Disk Drive 1.44MB; Maxtor 6Y200PO200GB (200GB) 7200RPM Ultra DMA Hard PATA Drive; Radeon 9200 Pro 256Mb GFX; DVD Rom + DVD/CD-RW; Assorted card readers, 6 x USB;seems to have a number of other features, as yet not identified or verified. Software identified Adobe AIR; Adobe Flash Player 10. Active X; Adobe Reader 9; AVS DVD Player 2.4; Java 6u7; Microsoft Visual C++ 2005; Sun Open Office org3; Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0; Microsoft Outlook Express, Realtek AC97 Audio. Any comments?

What is your question

treeve

Major Contributor
Just wondered if that is a good buy, or should it be a goodbye; what is Sun Open Office, when it is home?

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Well that all depends on what you want to do with it and how much you intend to spend on it.
My assumption is that the operating system is XP (as you mentioned Outlook express) and if that is the case then perhaps a little more ram wouldn't go a miss.
IMB Star Office is a fine piece of software. I use Office 2007 only because I have volume licensing with Microsoft.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Sorry your post came through whilst I was replying to the other.
It's a free version of office. Word processor, spreadsheets, desktop publishing and more. It does the same as Office (Microsoft) and is compatible with it as far as I remember.
Office 2007 (my version enterprise) is about £500

Top Bottom