Bardic Cornwall

treeve

Major Contributor
Without knowing much at all about Cornish Druidic history, which I believe began with the Celtic culture, I am curious as to Cornish Bards and their history and purpose in our culture, especially in relation to The Duchy. I find the my dictionary definition describes a bard as in the employ of the king to proclaim in praising poetic words the activities and achievements of the crown, in domestic and in conquest. The word was first found in Britain in 1445, and it stems from proto-indo-european, via Celtic and Gaelic. The word began as a derogatory lowland Scots word meaning wandering minstrel. When it got to mean a King's Poet I do not know. How the word was applied to 'The Bard of Avon' also, I do not know, though definitely he wrote plays that satisfied his Queen's wish for historical distortion. I know of Welsh Bards and I hear of Cornish Bards (also here on site), but does any of the movement 'speak' to the throne or is it a movement that explores and promotes the Celtic culture.

trepolpen

Major Contributor
Thanks for your pm from yesterday.So sorry, I have just realised that I have about 16 pms without knowing. You have to make allowances for such as me of simple mind! First of all, thanks so much for your thanks and fulsome appraisal re the CD I passed to you ( I can only empathise with certain of your heartfelt feelings!).

Re this one regarding 'Bards': Like you I am unable to provide a history of bardship in its original state. As far as I knew, quite simply, among the eary Celtic tribes there was a practice of conferring leadership on those who had a flair for the arts, whether yarns (like the Vikings' sagas) or poetry, ballad-singing or craftsmanship etc. As a college or gathering that bases itself on these values and others, the Cornish Gorsedh inaugurated (even revived it is claimed in some quarters from Celts centuries back along) by Henry Jenner, recognises those who have exhibited a Celtic/Cornish spirit beneficial to Cornwall via the arts, literature, craftmanship, history, philanthropy, public service etc. by conferring on them bardship. This is done when each year there is a promotor from within the bardic circle who writes an accreditation of someone's and finds a seconder. These who are recommended are then discussed by a democratically chosen Gorsedh Council of about twenty, and if found suitable and the time is found right, the Council writes to the individual, inviting him/her to become enrolled as a bard. I am not certain that I am meant to discuss the process but that is it basically. I do have books which may be useful inexplaining the history of Celtic bardship but I can't say at present. I know that the Welsh Gorsedd to which Cornwall's and Brittany's bards are affiliated, has druids and ovates which represent different offices and wear robes of diffent colours but Cornwall's bards are all to be regarded as equal in rank though there is a Grand Bard and Deputy and a council. We all wear the same colour robe except for the harpist who is distinguished by a maroon gown.

It's the best I can do, Raymond!

treeve

Major Contributor
Thank you for that insight into the growth of our Bardic Culture; I have some reference and some historical guides from which I was intending forming some thoughts - there is that matter of the origin of the word and the connection with the throne; it is my understanding the movement 'reformed' in 1929 (?); it is not that I wish to invade the world and know any 'secrets' if there be any for that matter. I am always taken by etymology, having a lot of references here. The use of the word appears confused by history. Your reply is appreciated and welcomed.

Top Bottom