Youth Cults

tabtab13

It was revealed recently that treeve was a teddy boy in his youth, and it got me wondering to what other youth cults did members belong to? Any old mods or rockers out there? I'm sure there must be a few ex punks! Or how about Goths? I guess the list is pretty big - you could always find one group that fitted your rebellious needs.

I went to art School in London late 70's and it was pretty tribal up there - you'd go and see different bands and the different tribes would all come out of the woodwork. One night went to see Motorhead in Hammersmith and the whole area was full of bikes, leather and denim jackets. And then at the end of the evening they'd all fade away into the night. Other nights, different venues, it would be wall to wall Hammer House of Horror(!) - sales of mascara and black clothes must have gone through the roof during that period!

Seems today that the youth are at one end of the spectrum or the other. Either very bland or gun carrying, knife wielding hoodies - or perhaps that's just me in old b*gger mode! Or perhaps I'm now too old to notice any subtle differences in the middle ground.

treeve

Major Contributor
So ... ::6: well, whatdja wanna make of it, mate? Eh? Feel me razor collar? Trouble wiv 'em old ones too, ya gotta watch the way they swung their crutches atcha, bleedin' vicious they were.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Interesting subject!
Now I wasn't in any sort of cult/fashionable following but all my friends were. I guess I was confused and sat on the fence whilst everyone else had a clear identity.
It seemed back then that you had to join a following based on music taste. The problem was that I liked all sorts of music and wasn't prepared to suffer just to be in a following.
Anyway, most of my school friends were mods (and automatically got beaten up by every other following. This was an unspoken, yet universally agreed punishment imposed by every following on the local mods.... Hell even the smurf gang gave us a kick in). Because I hung around with then I was tarred with the same brush.
My sister was a punk... and I liked the music a lot. Blondie, sex pistols and all the other punk fans... although to be fair Blondie turned to disco in the end and the punk community shunned them for it.
I never did understand skinheads.... just pure anger!
But because I was able to enjoy music of such a variety (like those decomposing composers such as, but not limited to Bach, Handel, Mozart, Bon Scott (see what I mean)) I missed out being in a following.....
So instead I improvised and ganged up with BoP and terrorised the neighbourhood instead ::11:
Good subject tabtab13

treeve

Major Contributor
To be Sirius, I was dressed like a Ted, but I would not say there was a group of Teddy Boys in the area at all. It was simply that I was right in with Bill Haley, The Treneeres, Gene Vincent and the scene. I have no recollection of any youth scene, other than heading for The Flamingo to Acker Bilk or Humphrey Littleton. I have no memory of Eidelweiss (or is that idle swines) slouching around on walls being generally objectionable. No, Penzance was not exactly Blackboard Jungle.

symons55

Staff member
In the 60's we used to meet on the Promenade most evenings on our motorbikes, go to Newlyn for a piece of fish and six of chips, or john-0-peg at Crowlas, incedentially, it was called that because the owner was called John and he did have a false leg, he also drove a very nice Karmen Ghia car. Weekends could be Camborne skating rink, or the winter gardens, or Flamingo where there was always a named group usually starting their tour. Other evenings were taken up going to dances at places like St.Just Hall where fights were mandatory, or St.Peters at Newlyn, The hall at the bottom of Queens Street and many many others. Sprinkled with meetings in coffee houses many ride outs with girls tagging along, parties etc. There was so much to do that little time was spent at home. No such things as more than three channels on the TV or mobile phones or computers etc. all in all a cracking time.::15:

BayOfPlenty

Halfhidden said:
So instead I improvised and ganged up with BoP and terrorised the neighbourhood instead ::11:
I was an altar boy, and spent my free time picking up litter and helping old ladies cross the road::18:

Top Bottom