You can help!

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Hi everyone. By now you should all know that Picture Penzance is a non profit organisation reliant on donations and volunteers. We are keen to break our reliability on donations and have explored several different ways to bring in a regular income. So far not many of the ideas we have tried have been that successful.

So sparky and I have been storming some ideas and have come up with what we think is a solution. It's called give us all your money... lol NO only kidding!::11:
But seriously we have a solution and would welcome your opinion on whether or not you think the idea is viable.

Here goes! We've taken part of the idea from Blondesurfguy66 who suggested that we get a few cars together and a load of us go out in to the sticks and get some pictures of area's that are not so exposed on the net... for instance Nancledra. We thought that was a good idea and then we thought what if?
So we go with the idea of storming an area with a few members and upload the pictures. We then do a short write up of the amenities, attractions and a small map showing where it is and place then in an area on the front page of PP. We do this for all of the villages and towns throughout Penwith.
Now we approach the B&B's, guest houses and hotels in the area and encourage them to advertise Picture Penzance to their potential guests so that they can view and or research what they will do and see in the area whilst on holiday. They will be able to interact with the members if they join. This facility isn't available anywhere else and could prove successful. The b&b's , guest houses and hotels have a free service available to them so there is no reason why they shouldn't use it. each village/town will have their what's on added to the what's on locally section and the holidays makers will love to look around West Cornwall and see what it's really like and more importantly... those places that don't get exposed in the holiday brochure.
The traffic would increase throughout the site and the advertising revenue will increase to a point that we would have a realistic income and therefore able to reinvest back in to the site.

What are your thoughts please?

symons55

Staff member
The basics seem like a good idea, as to getting a lot of people at the same time may be a little difficult, but if that's the case those of us with transport could go to outlying places and take photo's. The going around guest houses etc. might work also. I wonder what others think?

treeve

Major Contributor
Nancledra is very well covered by Phil, by the way.
There actually aren't that many places not covered in the albums. With the way the Net works, what with Google and the like, any amenity can be found 'in the twinkling of an eye'. What would be an advantage is to extend and collate the 'what's on' - there are a few of those, but the ever present problem is getting up to date information.

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
I personally think this is a brilliant idea, and whilst I appreciate not everyone has transport,(even me up till a few months ago) and those who are interested in visiting areas that they havent been to as yet but would like to then this would be a solution,and it would be a afternoon/morning out/day out, and as we have so many budding photographers on this site then an arrangement like this would/may encourage other members to meet up and have a natter and enjoy the day out as well.

I for one who have visited many places (but not yet seen them all by a long way) would love the chance to be able to visit places I havent yet been to and I feel we are giving that opportunity (to those who wish to take part)

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
I disagree. I don't think that Nancledra has been covered as best as it could be. Yes there are pictures of the bridge and a couple of other things but far from a comprehensive coverage. No map, no information on local amenities, no direction on how to get there all of the kind of information that would be sort after if:
A: being researched by students or locals
B: holiday makers looking for off beat places to include in their holiday. Information such as the most suitable form of transport for the area. Holiday makers will need to know if they can take their motor-homes with them or should they walk. That's the kind of information that needs to be added if we are to make this work.
We already have a what's on diary and I have feeds coming in daily. I think we have about 30 events on show every day but the front page of the site needs a better window to display these up and coming events

I think you're on the right track,but I don't think you should worry about the photo side of it, if it is your intention to raise money.The key to what you're looking for lies with the advertising aspect of your idea.The reason I came across your website was because I was looking for a campsite myself.The pictures are here already,and it's nice that it's free!::7:You do have an audience though and people will pay money to advertise here.Why stop at hotels and guest houses,what about restaurants and gift(souvenir) shops too in fact pretty much any local buisness.That's just my opinion,hope it was some help.I went to school in Heamoor(Mounts Bay School) i see you live there.Keep up the good work.Matt.

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
Hiya, firstly may we welcome you to the site!Thank you for joining, and we hope you enjoy looking through the many pictures that have been uploaded, also there are many threads/topics on the forum that may be of interest.

Thank you for writing in the above thread and we will take your opinion on board, many thanks for your input and showing your interest, means alot. Thank you.
PS hope you have found a campsite suitable for your needs, if not I'm sure we can be of help?

Yes thanks,I think I've found the one.It's near Gulvall 1.5 miles from PZ.Noongallas it's called,the reviews are good and it's only £5 a night!£2.50 for kids,no booking required,you just turn up.Unlimited spaces so no disappointment,happy days.::10:If you can do better then I'll be very impressed,and I'm open to suggestions.Thanks for offering,and taking the time to reply,see you soon(probably in the longboat,lol).

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
That sounds really good!!, especially with no booking required. sounds like you have a good deal there.
I dont think I can find anywhere that will beat the deal you have, and hope to see you soon, and yes maybe in the longboat!

Yeah that's what I thought,I'll give you some feedback on our return.If it's good you can pass it on,cheers now see you drecktly!::1:You've got my profile picture,so if you see me say hello(I'll be the one with the quiff!).I am an emmet,but my family has deep roots in the history of Penzance,and Newlyn(Cocks and distant relation to the Kelynacks)names I'm sure you'll now.My grandfather was councillor for Newlyn till about 1980 I think.Might be able to upload some interesting pic's,better ask the old man first!

southwestdj

really good idea here are dome old haunts of mine buryas bridge, madron,gulval,trevalor woods,bluebell dell,paul,drift dam,ludgvan,tregrewtin speed hill park,

Top Bottom