sweets

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
Hi there everyone!
I'm looking for images/pictures of sweets from different times, remember curly whirly's when they took ages to eat!! Spangles, milky bars, marathon's etc,

If anyone can help!! then please upload any pictures,many thanks!
Sparky
icon_e_biggrin.gif

trepolpen

Major Contributor
Haven't got any photos of them cos I ate them all but I always liked 'gelatines' which were simply round, old-penny-sized disks of gelatine coloured like their equivalent midget gems today. I'm taking about 30 years ago perhaps. Phil
icon_razz.gif

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
Hi Phil,
Many thanks for your response to my "Sweets!" request for photo's ....I'm not surprised you've ate them all!!
icon_e_biggrin.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif

thanks also for the pic of Coconut tobacco by the way have not seen it before, if you have any images of any sweets would be greatly received.( I know you haven't but you may know someone who has?) or any other pics to do with Penzance.
Glad you like the site it can only get bigger I /we agree! Thank you for your time in uploading your pictures it is appreciated.
Many thanks Sparky (Tracey)
icon_lol.gif

What about ....Aztec bars, Tiffin bars, Bar six, Jap Desserts,Highland penny toffee dainties , Sherbert dabs, cinder toffee......Oooh now your taking me back.
I feel the need for an olde english spangle washed down with cream soda and a sprinklng of space dust !
I'll be back with more

Remember "Flying Saucers" - The were rice paper containers shaped like Flying Saucers and filled with sherbet! Hmmmm they were about the cheapest sweet you could buy.....anyone remember how many you got for a penny?

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
hi I reckon you could get 5 of these flying saucers for one penny......but to be honest I can't remember that far back!! but I do remember going into a sweet shop near the bottom of town on a Saturday and buying loads of different sweets for very little cost....now it seems more cost and very little sweets!!
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_e_biggrin.gif

fatboydon said:
Remember "Flying Saucers" - The were rice paper containers shaped like Flying Saucers and filled with sherbet! Hmmmm they were about the cheapest sweet you could buy.....anyone remember how many you got for a penny?
I remember those, I would walk past a candy store on my way to Alverton Primary school, I think I had 10p to spend each day, and I would get all kinds of assorted candies such as those flying saucers, or I could buy a regular candy bar, like a Mars , Marathon, Aero, curly wurly, fruit pastels, turkish delight, I also remember the toasted coconut tobacco, and the candy cigarettes, one of my favorites was the rum and raisin chocolate bar. Oh.. fudge fingers were also great, and milky bars, do you remember the milky bar kid? Fry's chocolate cream bars, yum....dolly mixture, I used to buy 2OZ OF Dolly mixture.

denanmor

I used to go to the Dairy in the battlefields or Medrose Stores for my sweets fix. Funny though, all I can really remember buying is the little coke bottles, white mice and extra strong mints which always seemed better in a paper bag served from a big jar!

Medrose stores was my supplier too. In fact we lived opposite in Medrose terrace(38 on the end).
I remember the massive curlywurly, but whatever happened to Mint Cracknel and the terrible tv ad that came with it?

I think one of the best sweet shops in that area was Nigh's store at the end of Alma Terrace. On the way to St Paul's School in the 50s we would call in and buy licorce root which lasted ages.

msp14

I have just seen Fizzy Sherbert Necklaces for sale.
We used to eat these when we were kids.

I used to go to knights and medrose dairy for my sweeties,after a hard days slog in the classroom with Sister Francis, at that time my favourites were Cadbury Counters, Plush Nuggets,milky way( when they used to have the soft brown creamy centre) and Iceberg chocolate, mmmm they were the days eh

We used to chase the ice cream man and ask him if he had any broken cornets he could give us. that was circa 1976 and we did live on Treneere estate !

I think one of the best sweet shops in that area was Nigh's store at the end of Alma Terrace. On the way to St Paul's School in the 50s we would call in and buy licorce root which lasted ages.

I remember going to Nigh's stores in the early 50s when I was a very small girl, with my mother and sister. Mr. Nigh wore a brown overall and the shop had a lovely smell. It was exciting to choose sweets. We chose from dolly mixture, lollipops (a sort of oval shape), sherbet lemons, Fry's Five Boys chocolate, nougat bars, or Cornish ice-cream cones, 3d or 6d. There were many other sweets.
I hated Wall's vanilla ice-cream blocks.

treeve

Major Contributor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qTXCLfWDaA
not sweets alone in Richard Digance's song ....:rolleyes:

I kind of wonder what is happening in 'this world'.
Then we had a few pence pocket money and we learned to use and spend it, as we wanted, gave us some control. We could save what we wanted or not. Any little addition from Grandpa or uncle was welcome, but not a gimme gimme. It did not seem to be a problem, all that candy, with teeth - there was the Gibbs Dentifrice competion and the programme. Teeth were cleaned religiously. We enjoyed our sweets, the choosing, as you say, was a part of the experience. We knew when to wait for things, because it was known in the family that Dad works hard for the money, and the family spent it to feed and clothe us. As far as I have seen over recent years kids just plead or scream to get what they want (tell me I am misjudging them) parents give in because they cannot take any more, parents have pots of money and shower kids with everything they don't need, which is used until broken or dumped in tedium (I have seen back yard burgeoning with toys that have not been used for over two years, and left there). Then there is the panic over poor eating habits and rotting teeth and obesity, as well as peer pressure about which team shirt to wear or which trainers to buy, and which drop-out to mimic. I have a memory of us kids being smartly dressed and well spoken, respectful and careful with what we had. Yes, we had moouthy little oiks but not that many. Thank God I am not a child now, it must be horrible and to not have a future except through the benificence of some faceless Nanny State, afraid to let them run free and happy, in a country that is politically correct, afraid of its own shadow. They appear to get every comfort except the love and attention that we had when children. I know there are some notable exceptions. But I remember my mother sitting with us and reading a book to us. I know one particular gran who does here, and I place her on a pedestal, I think she is just great. I suspect there may be others and I have no wish to offend, but I can only sat what I see. Little tackers 'kicked out' to the winds of the world, or dumped in front of a US cartoon show. Parents that have no idea or concern as to what they are doing or where they are. Glued to the mobile phone or iPod. It is 230 in the morning and there is some teenager out in the street bored out of his skull and drunk, no doubt, kicking around an empty can. What a waste. :confused:
You can tell me that I am wrong. I feel the kids are getting the raw end of the deal in 2010. I was happy and glad to be a kid in 1950.
What they have been given is Fear and Rules. We had Freedom and Common Sense. I have clung to the last two all my life. :)

I digress .... ::6:

Tropicgal

Janner/ Senior Member
I remember Nigh's store very well. My grandmother lived in Adelaide Street so Nighs store was where I went to run errands for her and also to pick up my sweets. I remember Mr. Nigh being a rather rotund gentleman with a ruddy complexion and I seem to remember he walked with a distinct limp. He always wore a brown overall! Happy memories!

I remember Mr Nigh in his brown overall - and bearing more than a passing resemblance to Ronnie Barker.He walked with a terrible limp (probably from a war injury) and his walking stick doubled up as a handy implement for reaching inaccessible items from high shelves.His assistant ,whose name I forget,wore an identical overall and his black hair was slicked back with Brylcreem (sp ?).I seem to remember the bacon slicer and the lovely smell of smoked back bacon .Doesn't bear any resemblance to the stuff they churn out for the masses these days.

Top Bottom