smellovision

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
I was in a queue today at a popular local bank and the woman in front was using the cash machine. Despite the fact that I stood behind her for just a few seconds I was able to tell what job she did by her smell.
Allow me to explain. Clearly it wouldn't be to much of a task to tell what someone does for a living if they worked down a sewer, but before the sarcasm sets in to this thread allow me to explain at least this instance. Close your eyes and imagine the smell of pencils and paper towels... Yes a primary school teacher.
So do you/ can you tell where you are by the smell or what employment someone has by their smell?

ibrowze

A fish market not so far away

Well now you come to mention it, there are times when I've found myself practising shallow breathing exercises as I passed through Newlyn by the fish market.

P_Trembath

The Best
Well now you come to mention it, there are times when I've found myself practising shallow breathing exercises as I passed through Newlyn by the fish market.

Why?
It is the smell of industry and employment, of people working hard to provide for their families.
You should breath in deeply as you pass.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
NO. The answer above was simply a bit of fun. I've also lived in Newlyn for many years and completely understand the problem with the smell.

ibrowze

Meanwhile.....back to the topic of the thread..Smellovision

Another place my nasal cavity is invaded incurring further shallow breathing exercises is on the road overlooking the bus station when there's a southerly wind blowing sending up a plume of black fumes from a diesel engine charging up to leave the railway station and also the same aroma which can be experienced at the railway sidings in Long Rock when the diesel engines are running especially in unison.

symons55

Staff member
I was born in Newlyn and always accepted that that was how a fishing port is supposed to smell. I also spent the best part of my youth on my Uncles farms, also here people tend to turn noses up at country smells. These things are our heritage and shouldn't be changed.
Regarding smells, this is why you can smell a fisherman, or a farmer.
The smell that lingers from my youth was also the Blacksmith, the smell of the furnace and horses and the burning smell as horse shoes were fitted.
Another smell I find very distinctive, is beer etc, the trouble is I'm not sure if it's a Landlord or drunk. ::11:

46traveller

One of the nicest smells that gets my taste buds going is (Sorry veggies) Bacon cooking. Many moons ago when I was fishing from St Ives in the summer season coming back to harbour after many hours at sea (Early Start according to tide) as we approached Porthmeor beach tween nine and ten, the smell of bacon being cooked in the various guest houses on land, seemed to waft across the sea.
Safe home and hungry.

Last edited:

symons55

Staff member
Nothing better than on a day off to indulge ones self with a plate of bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, bread done in the frying pan and a steaming hot cup of coffee ::11:

missp

There has been muck spreading in Paul for the last 2 weeks, smells lovely, really clears your nose::5:

46traveller

Not so nice smell, the dying and tanning of leather or Camel skins on some rooftops in Morocco. I used a sprigg of mint under my nose but still felt nauseous. Very Ripe.

Last edited:

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
I'll tell you one of the most fascinating smells and that's of a metal workshop. Metal has an odd whiff and I have to say I quite like it.

Top Bottom