Shafted by Cornwall Council?

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Am I the only one who thinks that Cornwall Council is turning it to a dictatorship? The local planning has become a joke and officers who have been elected to serve the town are denied the opportunity to fulfil their duties... I feel shafted by Cornwall Council... do you?

My first experience of the new dictatorship was the Route Partnership and the disgusting way that our harbour was redesigned and pushed through planning despite the huge local objections.
This split the town and a clear divide started to appear. For the first time in my life I was witnessing Councils, associations, residents and businesses locked in a bitter dispute over the development of, what is after all the most important development in Penzance to date. Yet it seemed that Cornwall Council were set to do almost anything to get this plan through.
I was amazed and ashamed to see some of the underhand tactics deployed on Facebook, Youtube and other social networks.
Suddenly Penzance was the centre of attention for all the wrong reasons.
The Local Chamber of Commerce supported the development through what was to be known as "Plan A", whereas much of the town supported any other less destructive plan. I couldn't help thinking what had come of the town I'd grown up in. Here was a situation where our local Chamber of Commerce was up against the very people it relied on for trade. Perhaps my understanding of the Chamber of Commerce is wrong but I thought they were formed to create public edge like a PR between the buying public and the businesses in the scheme. Yet here we were with what amounted to a terrible divide that did nothing but create barriers rather than build bridges.
Fake polls turned up, wild claims that could never be substantiated and all of this was done because we were told that it was good business for Penzance.

Well egg and face come to mind as many businesses who supported the harbour development's most destructive plan woke up to the news that the corporations are coming to town.
I named this thread "Shafted by Cornwall Council?" because I can't help thinking of those business owners who woke up to the news that Penzance is about to have one of the most successful hotel chains build in Penzance.
I feel sorry for any business that is likely to suffer because of this new build and hope that the Travel Lodge hotel isn't too much of an impact on them.
But my point is that nobody knew that this planning had been passed... or so it seemed. Local planning officers were completely side stepped in the name of progress and Cornwall Council had imposed yet another planning application without consulting the residents or businesses of Penzance.

It goes on!
Recently Cornwall Council ordered the removal (cut down) of a young tree at the foot of Causewayhead. It says that the tree was 95% dead. I'm no tree expert but from what I could tell of the tree it looked healthy enough to me.
I do have a theory though... I wondered if the tree was in the way of the CCTV?

msp14

There was nothing wrong with the tree,the roots were in perfect order when i saw them trying with 5 men to dig it out.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
It has been rumoured that the stump has been removed to have it analysed to see if the tree was really dead or not. As far as I know the tree stump wasn't removed by Cornwall Council, but by concerned members of the public who wish to gain the truth about the tree.
But as I said this is speculation at the moment.
But I agree... I think it was a healthy tree!

treeve

Major Contributor
Whoopee do, realisation at last - whatever is the problem, we are a part of it. nothing hs beeen said the propblem is THAT the Silent Majority is just that - they are silent.... Whoever is not for us is against us. People complain too late, about fraud and so on, traffic situations ... NHS the alternative to the situation is to moan and groan with no proof here is a truth, thnk goodness that policy is not continued; only one way to prove it is dead is to kill it ..... Stand up, be bold, be strong. Take the whole responsibility on your own shoulders, and know that you are the creator of your own destiny. All the strength and succor you want is within yourselves. Therefore, make your own future.- Swami Vivekananda

treeve

Major Contributor
One matter to be clear on is the difference between dictatorship and totalitarianism. Not simply in terms of definition lexicograpy but historically. I see so many complaints about situations that historically have no basis in the present they have been relegated to the past. In this world (other than specific areas and conditions) there are no real problems, other than exist in our own minds. We live in a bureaucracy that feeds the imaginations, we live in a global village that expands beyond reality using the language of the battleaxe, with as much understanding. Thoughts are controlled by neurosess without consideration.

Last edited:

msp14

I was there when they were digging the stump up, and it was 5 men from Cornwall Council.(same work clothes and named lorry)!

46traveller

I expect they had to do it quickly, as in a few weeks time (after the redundancies hit,) they simply wouldn't have the employees to do it.

As for the County Council planning decisions, it just shows you that there are forces at work now that don't give a tinkers cuss for your opinions, or for your democratically appointed officials views. It's all about money, has been for years, and will continue this way until the general population of the country decide they've had enough. And on that note I would like to wish all the folk going to the demo in London tomorrow "A Safe Day".

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein

Last edited:

ratster

a thought occured to me that if said officials don't tell us whats going on then we can't object to what is being done on our behalf therfore we as the geeneral ignorant carry on regardless. also the geneal ignorant (ie most of us) don't know how to find out what is going on around us & the decisions being made on our behalf so how can we object to those decisions if we dont know what they are

46traveller

I bet this will make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside!
Can you imagine working for a company that only has a little more than 635 employees, but, has the following employee
statistics...

29 have been accused of spouse abuse
7 have been arrested for fraud
9 have been accused of writing bad cheques
17 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses
3 have done time for assault
71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit
14 have been arrested on drug-related charges
8 have been arrested for shoplifting
21 are currently defendants in lawsuits
84 have been arrested for drink driving in the last year

and

collectively, this year alone, they have cost the British tax payer £92,993,748 in
expenses!!!
Which organisation is this?

It's the 635 members of the House of Commons.
The same group that cranks out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us in line.
What a bunch of b ***** ds we have running our country
- it says it all...

And just to top all that they probably have the best 'corporate' pension scheme in the country!!
If you agree that this is an appalling state of affairs, please pass it on to everyone you know ..

Top Bottom