Sainsbury's coming to Penzance?

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Having spoken with a representative of Sainbury's yesterday they were keen for us to post up the following proposal.
Please look through the proposal and lets hear your opinions.
173_attach.jpg
What are we proposing?

Sainsbury's is proposing a significant investment in Penzance. Together with British International Helicopters (BIH), we have drawn up plans for the regeneration of the heliport site through the construction of a new Sainsbury's store, business units and a park and ride.
The proposed redevelopment of Penzance heliport will secure the future of the BIH passenger service between Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, as the sale of the land would enable BIH to relocate and invest in the business instead of closing the route.
It is important that we have your feedback as it will help shape the planning applications.
169_attach.jpg

The planning application, which we aim to submit in November 2010, will seek to establish the principle of development on the site. If this outline application receives approval, Sainsbury's will then submit to Cornwall Council the details of the design, layout and landscaping.
The site is located at the entrance to Penzance and Sainsbury's is committed to creating an exciting new gateway to the town for residents and visitors.
The proposed development includes:
• A Sainsbury's store with petrol station
• Business units
• A park and ride
170_attach.jpg

How will the proposals benefit Penzance?
This proposed investment would comprehensively redevelop the heliport site in line with Cornwall Council's vision for the area. It would consolidate BIH's operations in Cornwall and safeguard the Isles of Scilly helicopter service. Other benefits of the redevelopment of this gateway site include:
• A mixed-use scheme that represents significant investment in the gateway to Penzance
• Increased retail choice and competition
• Sainsbury's quality products at fair prices
• Around 400 new full and part time jobs in-store
• Business units creating up to 75 new jobs to support local enterprise
• A park and ride
171_attach.jpg
What would be in store?

Sainsbury's is first and foremost a grocer and we offer a wide variety of quality products to suit the needs of all of our customers.
We never compromise on quality. For example, the only difference between Taste the Difference and Basics is the cut, size and shape. Sainsbury's food range includes:
SO Organic: we have over 300 lines in our organic range
Freefrom: for those who have wheat, gluten and dairy intolerances, or wish to remove it from their diet
Kids: nutritionally balanced, so you can be sure you're making good, healthy choices for your children
Be Good to Yourself: relaunched in 2010, we're making it even easier for you to make healthy choices without compromising on taste
Basics: helping you to cut the cost of weekly shopping with over 700 low priced food and grocery items
Taste the Difference: a wide range of quality food and drink using quality ingredients and authentic recipes.

172_attach.jpg
Buying British and local suppliers
Nearly 80 per cent of Sainsbury's fresh produce is British grown and we stock more than 3,500 locally produced products. Our 'Supply Something New' initiative helps local suppliers to introduce their products to us. Here are some of their stories:
St Ewe Free Range Eggs
"We started farming chickens in 1989 and now rear around 20,000. They're all free range which makes us a natural fit for Sainsbury's, who we've now been supplying for nearly two years, after pitching our business to one of their regional buyers. It's a great boost for the company and we're now able to grow a stable business that employs local people and contributes to wider regeneration in the area." Rebecca Morris, St Ewe Free Range Eggs
Rodda's Cornish Clotted Cream
"We supplied our first batch of clotted cream to Sainsbury's in Truro over 16 years ago and have not looked back. We've built on this success and have gone on to grow the business extensively over the years and we now sell our Cornish delicacy in all Sainsbury's stores in Cornwall, Devon and even into Somerset. Supplying a retailer like Sainsbury's has transformed our business and the relationship has been very successful." Richard Jewell, Rodda's Cornish Clotted Cream
Other Cornish suppliers include:
• Cornish Country Larder - cheesemakers
• Kelly's - ice cream
• WC Rowe - bakers

What does Sainsbury's stand for?
"We are Committed to respecting the Customers we serve, the local Communities in which we operate, and the Colleagues and suppliers that make it all happen."
Sustainability: Sainsbury's is a leader in utilising energy efficient technologies such as rain water harvesting systems, waterless urinals, sun pipes and electric vans
Community: We were awarded Platinum status in this year's Business in the Community Corporate Responsibility Index. This is testament to our Active Kids sport campaign, Healthy Eating Tours for schools and other initiatives to support our local communities
Fairtrade: In 1994 we were the UK's first major supermarket to offer Fairtrade food and now we are the biggest retailer of Fairtrade food by sales value
Quality: Our Taste the Difference range won the Best Own Label Range category at the latest Grocer magazine Gold Awards, recognising our dedication to offering consistently high quality, fresh food
Local suppliers: We actively seek out regional suppliers and currently stock more than 3,500 locally sourced products. We are also the only supermarket to sell regionally caught fish
Buying British: We have supported British farming for more than 40 years, with 80 per cent of our fresh produce British-grown.

What are the next steps?

We will carefully consider all of the feedback from our consultation process. This will help to shape the outline planning application before it is submitted to Cornwall Council by the end of the year.​

If the Council approves the plans a further more detailed application will be submitted.​

British International Helicopters, who currently own the site, will not be vacating until October 2011. This means that the development will not be complete until some time in 2012.​

If you have any comments or questions, please contact us.

email: feedback@sainsburys-penzance.co.uk

Freephone: 0800 130 3270

Or write:

Sainsbury's , c/o The White House, 6 Whiteladies Road, Bristol BS8 1PD

Last edited:

tabtab13

So what happened - did everyone get 'burned out and exhausted' after the big Tesco debate?!

I still have doubts on whether we need 3 big supermarkets in that area, but as for what else could go there instead, I'm at a bit of a loss.

I'll come clean and cards on the table - I don't like Tesco, I think they are an unethical company. But ... I do like Sainsbury's and will no doubt go over there and shop occasionally if the store gets the go ahead.

treeve

Major Contributor
Whatever affects this scheme will be the subject of the same concerns thaty affect those applied to Tesco. With certain specific differences, I have left making comments until later with that deliberate point in mind. I have also to say that the company does provide better food and service ... though that will make little difference to me, except perhaps if a free bus were to be provided.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
What I can tell you is that Cornwall Council have backed the scheme well before the public knew anything about it.
Sainsbury's has done a deal with Cornwall Council with the park and ride, that much you all know yeah?

Did you know that Sainsbury's has allegedly done a deal to help Cornwall Council replace St Ives, Falmouth and Penzance tourist information centres. I was told from a senior representative that a deal has been done. When visiting one of Sainsbury's branches your Bluetooh will alert you that you are in a tourist shopping centre and will alert you where the nearest attractions are to you right now. Also in the deal will be terminals placed in store for those to browse information on local attractions. They will be able to print out a map and can also get discount vouchers printed from the machine in the form of loyalty points.

Personally I have no objections to seeing a Sainsbury's built in town, but then I didn't mind Tesco either.
You'll note from the plan though that Sainsbury's is likely to be 6 times larger than Morrisons.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Update! Today Sainsbury's was given planning permission to develop the old Heliport site. The voting came in at 15 for and 5 against. It seems that it is no longer if but when Sainsbury's is coming to town.
Any thoughts ?

symons55

Staff member
The bit that gets me is now the Heliport are causing chaos by going to St Erth where noise and air pollution will devistate some of the habitat let alone all the traffic problems that will come of it. I have nothing against Sainsburys coming to Pz but with in doing so it will cause the previous occupiers to cause havoc elsewhere then Im against, but opposition obviously fell on deaf ears.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
From my understanding of the situation British International Helicopters hasn't any choice in the sale of the Eastern Green site. I'm lead to believe that they either sell it and find a new cheaper to operate home... or their creditor will sell it for them! British International Helicopters has to meet their commitments or go bust. I'm not sure what site has been earmarked in St Earth but surely it would be sited away from residential and wildlife havens.

symons55

Staff member
Nope, look at the plans online at the Council, it's a strip of land behind the Garage and Station more behind the garage, there's hell up around here, petitions and banners etc, I would be able to see it from my place.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
To be honest I can't see the helicopter being relocated anywhere and accepted by those who live next to it. BIH were expecting to trade from Land's End but they were side stepped. Unfortunately the future is extremely bleak for the Helicopter link.

symons55

Staff member
Lets face it, the ideal place would be Lands End Airport because.....it's an airport, away from built up areas and flight paths over the sea, what could be more perfect.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
I agree but that is owned and controlled by IoSSSC who see the British International Helicopter as a rival and therefore won't allow them to trade there... or at least that's how I see it.

symons55

Staff member
Your prob right, but couldn't the Council step in and use an enforcement order to make them? they seem to like doing things like that!

CHILLYWILLY

It has certainly stirred up a hornets nest in Canonstown. I drive through there every weekday and a new ' Say No to the Heliport' sign appears.

symons55

Staff member
Cannonstown and Rose and Grouse will be heavily affected, more so the latter, if you see the plans you'll know why, flight path is right up the fields in front of me.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Well I don't blame people for not wanting it on their doorstep but the council has little or no right over the airport at Land's End other than licensing. That said there is no reason why the heliport can't be located anywhere. Logistically the perfect place would be opposite Travel Lodge on the A30 in Hayle... but I suspect the cost of development would be too high.

Last edited:

symons55

Staff member
That sounds a better place that by a built up area, but I feel that no matter what people come up with it won't make any differance, someone has made a choice and it won't change. There are places at the rear of Mz just off the bypass or areas near Sennen but I don't think they would ever come into the frame.

Top Bottom