Rodda's Clotted Cream

Tropicgal

Janner/ Senior Member
I have a strange question that I hope someone can help me with! My eldest son turns 40 in November and he has requested a 'Cornish Party', now I can supply the pasties without a problem, at a pinch I can supply the heva and the saffron cakes but I'm stumped with the Rodda's Clotted Cream! It has to be Rodda's and nothing else will do. Now living out here in mid=Atlantic the only clotted cream I see in the supermarket is a Devon Clotted Cream and it is just not up to par. I have been to the Rodda's website, found the email address for their supply manager and emailed him but he has never replied. I just need to know is it possible to ship (obviously via courier) clotted cream overseas????? If we can get Devon Clotted Cream (in little glass jars) here in Bermuda I'm sure it must be possible to ship Rodda's Clotted Cream. Anyone have any suggestions? I do know how to make clotted cream but we cannot get the full cream unpasteurised milk here. Help!

treeve

Major Contributor
I do remember my mother SLOWLY cooking cream in a saucepan, then skimming off to get the clotted cream. Best of Luck. I do know that Rodda's can be sent by post, but the postal regulations to "furrin" parts may be constrictive. :)

missp

Hi Tropicgal, I found this on Rodda's website.

'We can deliver to all UK postcodes, including Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands. We’re afraid to say we’re not able to deliver outside the UK right now, but we’re working on it'

Probably doesn't help you I know but saves you waiting for a reply.

Tropicgal

Janner/ Senior Member
Thanks Missp!!! I didn't see that on the website. Well I may have to have a go at making it but not sure its possible without fullcream unpasteurised milk - back to the drawing board!

CHILLYWILLY

Clotted Cream

I have checked on-line and there appears to be several dairy farms on your island. If one of them would let you skim the cream off their milk vat it should be of the quality you are looking for to make your own clotted cream. It won't be pasteurised but the steaming process should take care of any nasties that may be in it.cook#

welb1931

clotted cream

I managed to get a half-pound tray from an outlet in Florida it was frozen solid on arrival
took about three days to thaw out - cant seem to remember the outlet...we can get the
jars of Devon cream and is available in most large stores...

Tropicgal

Janner/ Senior Member
Yes, I have no problem buying Devon cream here in Bermuda most of our supermarkets carry it but it doesn't travel well. When the little jars are opened the cream is hard and powdery not creamy at all - yuk!

@Half Hidden - we don't have chain supermarkets here all of them are locally owned although we can buy some Waitrose products in one of them.

treeve

Major Contributor
I remember a tale told by my grandfather of a young lad being thrown into a barrel of milk, he was testing to discover whether or not it was "passed your eyes" :)

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
I've just spoken with Rodda and they say they cannot deliver to your area because of customs restrictions. Apparently Rodda only supply cream to West Germany and Hong Kong other than the UK.
Mind you... I'm not sure if I would get away with sending you the cream. Might be worth a try ::15:

welb1931

I have checked several outlets in Florida to no avail. I believe a stop was put on it with the mad cow disease, here in the U.S we
cannot bring meat or dairy products in from Canada... a few days ago on AOL-UK there was a complaint of some firm making Devon cream - from Cornish milk !!!!

Tropicgal

Janner/ Senior Member
Thank you everyone for your advice and the info @Chillywilly and Halfhidden thank you for your research! CW- I have contacted the only supplier of milk in Bermuda and asked if they can supply me with milk that is non pasteurized and non homgenized and they have said they think they can help me so I am going to call them to discuss. I did not actually hold out much hope because most of the milk sold here is reconstituted except for our Blue Milk and Pink Milk (see this website for explanation!)http://www.dunkleysdairy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17&Itemid= .

Just one more point and I don't want to labour the clotted cream subject to death but does it freeze well? It's possible that someone I know may be going over to Cornwall in a couple of months and I could ask them to pick up some to bring back but would need to freeze it so it keeps until November! Of course I have never needed to freeze it before but if it turns out like the Devon Cream we can buy here which has obviously been frozen it will only be fit for the bin!!

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
yes the clotted cream freezes well and more importantly when you defrost it to use, it is as you would buy it from fresh, I have never had a "duff" one yet from all the ones I have frozen, so you should be okay.

Top Bottom