Outsiders?

treeve

Major Contributor
Does anyone else have an interest in music that is not defined by the borders of the USA and UK and their combined edge of 'popular music' from Rock'n'Roll up to Garage, what is known as R&B and Hip Hop etc. ... Who listens to real Argentinian Tango? Who listens to Gamelan music? Anyone have a penchant for African music (such as Salif Keita or Youssou n'Dour)? Who is turned on by Tibetan Throat Singing? What about Noh Theatre or the Taiko(Kodo), based around the drum style of Gene Krupa? How far have you pushed the boundaries?

Last edited:

tabtab13

I'll quite often listen to Persian Radio on iTunes while I'm working - traditional Persian music. I love the instruments. Must be an influence on the band 'Dead Can Dance' - a great band with great vocals too. Not all their songs are in English, but you can feel the emotion even if you don't understand the words. But it's nice to go to the source - hence Persian Radio.

treeve

Major Contributor
Interesting, I used to listen to Radio Teheran a lot on shortwave, and their music was quite different from much in that geographical area; I never have found that we need to know the meaning of precise translations, especially as they then lose their original poetic meaning and scan. If it is anything like the poetry of of the Rumi or the Sufi then I am sold.

Top Bottom