New Year's Eve 2010

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Have to be honest it wasn't as good as it had been in the past. Sparky and I went from pub to club in the hope to find the party. As you would expect we were equipoised with our cameras.
We missed New Year's Eve in the streets last year because we managed a pre nightclub. This year we planned to get some pictures of the party goers whilst they travelled from pub to pub.
We got to Spoons for about 8pm and thought we would have a drink before the festivities really got going... but that was the problem. After a couple of hours it was apparent that Penzance didn't have the usual amount of New Year's Eve celebrators. In fact Spoons was at best half full. We had pre arranged back stage entry to the Ritz club who were hosting Love Riot. The Ritz was a ticket only venue and had sold all of their tickets well before New Year's Eve, so we expected a good turn out there.
500 young people packed out the old bingo hall and danced away until 4am. We tried very hard to take pictures but the problem we had was that the group was using excessive smoke generated from the smoke machine. When flash is used the picture turns out white (like holding tracing paper over a picture). But if we didn't use flash the pictures would be out of focus.... Anyway, we spent a few hours in the Ritz on and off and have to say that they were one of the busiest places in town last night.
Between shots we checked out the local pubs and was quite surprised to see that none of the pubs we visited were at capacity. Matt's bar was busy but once again as with the Ritz the smoke machine was being used excessively so pictures there were also hard to get. We decided to go home shortly after 2am having only drunk two pints. Mind you we did celebrated the New Year with a quite drink at home until about 04:30 and then gracefully retired to the sack.
Pokerboy, on the other hand was working at the Sound nightclub (he's their official photographer). He finished work just after 6am this morning and then went across the road with the other staff for a champagne breakfast. This however turned out to be more like an early morning knees up as the Sound staff decided to unwind to a 12 hour drinking binge... amplified because non of them had actually been to sleep in the last 48 hours.
Summing up... Not so many people celebrated New Year in the way they had in the past and it was painfully obvious that money had a lot to do with it.

treeve

Major Contributor
I have to be honest, New Year is more to me about love and the extension to friends than the excuse to get
"plastered". That has been rather pointed, lately. Wild "organised" parties will never hold sway. The spirit of
Hogmanay has been spread into London. The feeling of goodness and wellbeing is palpable. Any feeling "in the street" may well be affected by "financial constraints", but that primarily is set by the reveller. The current focus is for expectations to get greater and "better". "Same" is considered boring. Be content is fine for me, the alternative is to be feared in our own mortality. Photography in "smoke" has been a problem since long before digital cameras. We had total control - we prefocused before the event. To be blunt any venue which has "entertainment" has to ask themselves as to the choices they are offering.

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
google them, they are really good! and have played at many various venues,they are HUGE!

treeve

Major Contributor
I did. No information as to who they are, where they are from. I did manage to hear some forgettable songs. :)

fleagle

I am wondering if the cold weather, and a lot of people had flu/cold viruses, contributed to the lack of party goers on New Years Eve. My husband and I went on a cruise up the River Thames (advertised in Cornishman) At 11.15 p.m. the boat moored near to the London Eye/Houses of Parliament where we had a 'birds eye' view of the fireworks going off. It was awsome. I love the colours and shapes produced by fireworks. You can keep your drunken revellers just give me a whoosh, bang, aaahhhh. However, when I heard how much the display cost (it was mega bucks) the question one then as to ask who's paying for it and was it worth it?

Top Bottom