Monochrome

Does monochrome inclued color pics that are then ediited?

• NO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i would not suport a picture i knew was edited

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gemz Marland

After a little chit chat with someone earlier i began wondering, this months competsion (sorry about the spellng) is monochrome after a quick wiki search and asking two people i shortly found out it means black and white photo or as others may inturpritate is one color but could be any shade of the couler.
1st question this raised for me is could you do shades of one color such as amber instead of just black and white?
2nd question that has rised from this conversation about monochrome is as you can have monochrome paintings ect, this begs the question of whether it would be frowned upon to edit a color photo to make it a black and white/monochrome or whether people feel it is accepable?
just thought this could be a gentle convesation to have and would maybe help mine and others understanding on the competion title.
thank you hope this sparks some conversation.

ChrisTru

All-powerful
It's very unlikely these days that anyone is buying Black and White film for their camera, also, it's not every model of digital camera that has a Black and White setting, so in reality I would expect the majority of the pics to be taken in colour then transferred to Black and White. I'm pretty sure too that no camera will take pics in shades of one colour (could be wrong) whether it be yellow blue green or red! so having said that, in my opinion, it would be pretty difficult to enter a pic that hadn't been edited.

Using a filter you could get shades of a colour!
Having said that in digital photography monochrome is shades of black! Not other colours.
Whether a colour photograph is edited to monochrome is a different matter!

Planet Penwith

Super User
Monochrome film will obviously take a B&W image, but it still has to be "edited" in the darkroom. As for a lot of digital cameras, there are dedicated "B&W" settings in the menus. Me personally I always take colour images for B&W conversion in my chosen image editing software (Photoshop).

It's personal taste at the end of the day :) & in my humble opinion, it's the finished imaged that counts

Apologies if that doesn't help :)

Gemz Marland

even with having the softwere to take a b&w pic on my camera i perfer to take in full couler, you never know what you might miss color wise . thank you so far everyone is agreed in the poll, thank youo

treeve

Major Contributor
No problem at all, it was simply a matter of memory (recent) which is very important to me, in no way should it be seen as criticism. I remember some earlier pictures in which I manipulated the colours, through the spectrum. Waves. The series is named Mood in C (Dave Clark) :)

Last edited:

keith

in digital camera's, the way i understand it, when you take the shot, its the camera;s firmware that converts the colour scene into black and white, therefore if you shoot in colour, THEN convert to black and white, you are only doing what your camera would normally do

treeve

Major Contributor
Having been involved in film material and printing for many years befiore the digital age, the camera produces an image representative of materials formerly in our experience, primarily as a computer produced facsimile of the effects produced, rather than actual image, everything is very much better than we were used to in these early years. There were so many limitations of grain and lens quality and resolution. To battle with these factors and then produce a print using enlarger, was nothing less than amazing requiring great patience and skill, We had to understand the quality of light itself.

Top Bottom