Mines a coleslaw toasty please!

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Do you have food cravings?
Well I don't have these often but when I do I eat some really odd things.
I'm partial to burnt toast. I much prefer the toast on fire and have to blow it out before spreading butter on it. Sometimes as a special treat I'll cover the freshly burnt toast with butter and then coleslaw.. mmm yum!

It seems to be a mood thing with me at least. Sometimes I'll fancy a bowl of soup, tomato.... with a tin of cream mushroom soup in it as well. If I really treat myself I'll add 7 shakes of tobasco source.

So I was wondering am I mentally ill (think before answering this as it could have an affect on your membership ::11:) or do you have strange food cravings as well.
If so let's hear them.::1:::1:

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
Well I'm glad to say I havent any strange cravings even when I was pregnant, so I'm gonna have to go on if I am hungry or just fancy something quick and easy to eat then it will have to be Curry flavoured noodles.::1:

CHILLYWILLY

Mines a coleslaw toasty please

This probably explains the mystery of the current lack of Michelin star hostelries in Heamoor.::14:

treeve

Major Contributor
Yeah!! Gimme a baked beans and cherry banana smoothie,
with plenty of tabasco and gin..... Uf2

treeve

Major Contributor
Trying to remember, there was a movie, in which the young lad was always asking for a 'peanut butter and pickle sammidge', I use peanut butter to make the chinese/indian satay. I do like slices of pickle spread out over a cheese melt on toast (with a pouring of sweet chili sauce), but peanut butter ? ...

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Slices of pickle? Is that onion or something else.
Now, funny you mention sweet chilly because It's my favourite :)
I have been known to mix sweet chilly with mayonnaise and use it as a heavy sauce for garlic mushrooms. It's a sophisticated combination that most won't give the time of day for.
Peanut butter is a whole new experience. I've not tried it but American are very keep on Peanut butter and Jelly... sounds aww but I'll give a go soon and let you all know.::1:

treeve

Major Contributor
Pickles: Home made pickled onions sliced up, or the large gherkins sliced. Enshrined in melted cheese. Not the 'branston' stuff or piccallilly. It is the cross between the bitter sweet of the cheese (a strong flavour one) and the crunchy vinegar (white is best).

treeve

Major Contributor
A sauce that I throw together is brown sauce, ketchup, bit of french mustard, a dose of soy and a dollop of runny honey = barbecue sauce.
Perfect for grilled meats and chips.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
I was saying that I have a preference for gherkins... Mc Donald's gherkins. Don't get me wrong I don't eat the rubbish they sell but I do like the gherkins.
I'll have to try some of these recipes and find out exactly what they taste like.
I prefer savoury with a hint of sweetness to it... am I on my own or other like this?

treeve

Major Contributor
I enjoy a sweet and sour ... white vinegar and honey, with a dash of white wine

that is the making of the oldest recipe of all Kon Po (Guang Pow), a mixture of bitter and sweet,

just like gammon, grilled, topped with pineapple slices and scattered with cheese.

treeve

Major Contributor
Another tasty toast meal ...
Poach the Eggs (or even cooked in a microwave on an oil base in a flat dish. Make sure it has a cover over it, but MOST IMPORTANT pierce the yoke before starting the microwave; cook it 20 seconds at a time over and over until it is ready, should take around two minutes, that way it will not turn rubbery or dry up). Place the egg, on a piece of toast (or more depending on how many eggs) and coat the eggs with mayonnaise, followed by a good scatter of paprika.

Last edited:

treeve

Major Contributor
Try this for a tasty snack ...
You can buy hummus, but it is much better to make it, with chick peas, tahini and lemon juice. Spread it over toast (or a toasted panini) pour over good olive oil, to soak the toasted bread, cut up some stoned green olives and place them all over the hummus.

treeve

Major Contributor
Incidentally, by toast I mean toasted bread, not burnt, cremated, turned into a vicious solid board to be used by Ninja warriors.

Golden brown on the outside, soft and hot on the inside (like me :)). Better to use home made bread, but Kingsmill make a good thick slice bread just for toasting.

treeve

Major Contributor
Try this, a favourite of mine. Get an avocado, as usual it needs to ripen, if the skin is not purple, leave it until it is. It should feel slightly soft as the fingers press on the skin. Run a knife around the avocado (top to bottom), cutting down to the nut. The nut is a sphere, extremely solid. Slide the two pieces around until they part. One half will have the nut. Spoon it out. Now the skin can be peeled off from each half. The avocado halves should be sliced into 2mm slices. Cover the avocado with a little almond nut oil. First put your toast on the plate, spread out the avocado slices. Then add almonds, either crushed up in a grinder, or you can buy almond paste in jars (not cake coating), it is fine and oiled. Top the whole with drained prawns.

treeve

Major Contributor
wadja mean? That is just a snack ... a meal would be two avaocados, a pound of prawns and ooodles of salads. :)

treeve

Major Contributor
Here is another snack to sort out those cravings.
Drain a tin of tuna (fending off the cat), as the cat sinks its teeth into your ankle, squeeze the tin lid down to get rid of all the brine. Take out the cake of tuna, toss a little tuna to the cat. Place remaining tuna (except for a little more to pacify the cat) in a bowl. Stir in a little salad cream. Take a cucumber and slice it 'waffer thin'. Take the cucumber wafers and soak them in brown vinegar for a few minutes, whilst the cat is climbing up the trouser leg. That should have allowed you time to ensure the cat can now have the third bit of tuna. Spread out the cucumber over the toast and then top with the salad tuna.
Well worth the flesh wounds.

Top Bottom