Meet Cornwall's oldest person

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
View attachment 307
Lottie Davis, who's thought to be the oldest person in Cornwall, has just turned 109 years old.
She was born in 1901, while Great Britain was still mourning the loss of Queen Victoria.
As Lottie entered the world life was certainly very different.
Horse drawn carts still dominated the roads, although the car was starting to make its impact.
Cinema was becoming an important part of life.
As part of our Learning from Evil season, BBC Radio Cornwall's Donna Birrell went along to meet Maurice
Short silent films would be shown on the silver screen. Although most people still preferred the theatre or the music-hall.
Even the first records, the old 78rpm's had not made an apearance.
As Lottie turns 109 years old it's now all about 3D films and high definition viewing.
She has outlived the popularity of vinyl records; the 78rpm, the 45rpm, and the long player.
Lottie has seen the arrival and departure of video cassettes, black and white television and much more.
Lottie, originally from the west Midlands, moved to Cornwall to be near family members ten years ago. She now lives at Poldhu near Mullion on the Lizard.
Lottie admits it's a rare achievement to live so long.
"I suppose it is something to be thankful for considering some of them died fairly young. My mother was only 54, and that's a big difference.
To celebrate her birthday Lottie took part in a sedate game of football!
It's not just football which Lottie plays. A senior carer, Georgie Gardener, says she regularly joins in with the other, younger residents:
"If there's any music on she'll be clapping. We have a gym instructor who comes along and she'll do exercises. She loves her bingos and her cups of tea. She's absolutely lovely."
Lottie's daughter-in-law, Rita Davis, is among those celebrating the 109th birthday.

"Her skin is smooth and her hair is nice. She takes pride in herself. She loves it here. She loves being the oldest one."
Lottie has lived at Poldhu for six years. One of the directors, Simon Philips, says she's loved by staff and residents alike.
"Lottie gets on with everybody. She's always the first person to get on with people. She minds her own business. She's very very popular."
Lottie has a special file with telegrams from the Queen, which she has received since turning 100 years old. She still has ambitions in life as well.
"I wish I could think that I've got another 20 years to join in with them, because they're all enjoying themselves."

Article BBC

Top Bottom