Guess what this is?

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Hi everyone. I've been busy this afternoon and most of the evening with this.
Can anyone tell me what it is?
Obviously this has the cover removed and the insides are exposed... but before you rant and rave at me that you probably wouldn't see the insides of this thing.... trust me most of you did ;)

What is it?
What make?
What model?

sparky

Authoritarian
Staff member
Administrator
well now...I myself have not seen one of these until today and I had no idea what it was...don't know if this helps anybody?:eek:::1:

treeve

Major Contributor
Transformer of decent proportions, small motor with suppressor, fan, does not appear to be high speed; chain and cog drive from a worm gear, controlled by spring loaded brake, curious arrangenment with a worm each end to drive - two what? I would guess this is a Juke Box.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Well its not quite big enough to be a juke box. I should have posted the dimensions but as it's back in the box I'll give approximates.
It would be about 18" wide and 14" high.
You are right it has a worm on each end.
This piece of kit is about 48 years old and works really well. It's not something that every family had, certanly not in the 60's, but by the 70's these were common enough as cost came down.

symons55

Staff member
Sneaky, the only thing I can think of straight off is the drive of a tape recorder?

symons55

Staff member
OK take it a bit further a reel to reel tape recorder? do you want a model no....?. ::11:

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Well your on the right track (excuse the pun) but no, its not a reel to reel tape recorder.

symons55

Staff member
Ohhhhh, ok try VCR, and if so I could do with another one for transfering to dvd............::11:

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Not that I'm afraid.
Only half of the format has been explored throughout this thread so far.
Try again tomorrow ::1:

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Oh yes... before you all go remember I said in my first post that you would have seen the insides of this even if you weren't an electrician... It was common enough to get inside one of these ;)

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Yes you are over thinking this.
Let me remind you its 48 years old.
Not every family had one but they became more popular in the 70s
Most people that had one saw the insides quite a bit.

Guess again::1:

Top Bottom