broadband noise

treeve

Major Contributor
For two days now, broadband has been intermittent, almost unavailable. I have been using Eclipse for some time, on a BT phone line, with no problems. I do not intend moving from BT basic or Eclipse internet. The reason for the collapse is noise on the new telephone line, horrendous crackling and bleeps. This means that both the phone line and by consequence, internet are unavailable.
Is there a device that will filter out noise on the line?
I have checked with BT and they cannot check the line unless I have the internet on another line (go figure). I do not have a telephone so cannot 'phone Eclipse. Of course there is a splitter and filter with the router

treeve

Major Contributor
I should say that the noise is on the telephone line. I should also say that Eclipse delivers at 42 Mb speed.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
If the noise on the telephone line exceeds, I think 42db then you will loose internet. Eclipse has an email support service but not at weekend. They can measure the noise levels and get BT to fix the problem.
The filters are only low pass filters so they probably wont help much. Remove devices that might be in your house that make noise. Things like fax machines. Also worth plugging in your broadband straight in to the main socket.

If you hear the noise then BT should be your first port of call as they own the landline. If the noise is worse when it rains or windy it could well be an exposed junction box.
To avoid a £99 call out make sure you have checked everything in the house. So long as it's not anything in the house (past the main socket) then they will pay for the repair.

symons55

Staff member
On the main incoming socket, you should be able to undo two screws and take off the front plate, then you are able to plug into their socket, if the noise is still there this will illiminate any of your extensions and prove that it's on the BT line. any probs give a shout and I'll pop up and check for you.

treeve

Major Contributor
Thanks for the info halfhidden .. It is a master socket not a line box. It all seems very odd to me as it all worked fine on the old number, the only difference is the master socket. I have had to add an extension ... many thanks for the offer Symons55, I would very much like to be sure before I check with Eclipse [0845 122 4111] as to what they can do ... it is working OK now. I will be busy on Wednesday, by the way. Thank You.

treeve

Major Contributor
I have phoned Eclipse and although they can hear the noise (and therefore in excess of 42db); they are adamant it is a BT problem and can do nothing. So any help you can give at this stage would be really appreciated, Symons55

symons55

Staff member
Doing a wedding tomorrow but will pm you tomorrow at sometime and check out your bt line.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
To be honest it is a BT thing. Line noise isn't covered in contracts so we would need to do an initial test on the line and equipment in your flat to prevent the mandatory £99 call out charge from BT.

What does the noise sound like? Is it a continuous hiss, crackle, clicking or echo

symons55

Staff member
If I take a phone, take off the front of the bt socket and plug straight into their line, we should be able to see if it's their line.

treeve

Major Contributor
The noise is a combinationof white noise, electrical storm, RTTY and signals somewhat like Facsimile machine.

Halfhidden

Untouchable
Administrator
Cables and connections past the main socket are the responsibility of the customer. BT charge £99 to come out and look at it and then £75 an hour plus parts.
The cable going into this junction looks too thick to be twisted pair. It looks more like coax. The junction box looks like a coax junction as well. Unscrew the top (there is only one screw) and see if the cable is breaded and has a single copper core. Also if this is a coax junction you'll note that the cable will be clamped down inside the box.

symons55

Staff member
I agree with HH, on zooming in it looks like an ariel junction, I have sent you a pm and will try and pop up tomorrow.

symons55

Staff member
Just had a thought Treeve, I know your going to tell me yes, but, have you got your broadband filters plugged in?

treeve

Major Contributor
The system is exactly as installed by Halfhidden, with the exeption of that antiquated box. The old system had a line box. I have one phone, internet filter and a PC.

Top Bottom